DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Quad and Fog HID Install Tutorial

42K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  thunderace31 
#1 ·
I know woodmw has posted a tutorial on how to install DDM HID lights for dual headlamps. But I have yet to see anyone do one for quad lamps or fogs. So while installing mine, a few weeks ago, I took pictures and notes. I will try to give good detail description on how to do it for quads and fogs. I used woodmw post for help but there were some differences.
Note these are DDM 55W 5000K lights. I purchased the full size raptor ballasts along with the relay harness for the highs and lows. I also purchased the mounting bracket. I recommend the mounting bracket. The bulbs to purchase are H10, 9005, and H11.
Now to the instructions.
1. Remove the radiator cover. To do this pop the plastic tabs out. I used a pair of small needle nose pliers for this.
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part

2. Remove the bolts holding the grille on and remove the grille. The bolt heads are size 10mm. A nice ratchet and socket should work for this. The grille has two snaps at the bottom corners. To remove the bottom, pull straight out on the corners. The snaps are a tight fit so it is a little difficult.
Auto part Engine Vehicle
Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Automotive lighting Headlamp

3. Remove the headlight assembly. To do this there are two bolts up front, one on top and one on bottom (10mm). There is also one in the back. To remove this on you will have to remove the cover inside the wheel well (a plastic tab holds the cover in place). Behind the cover is a bolt (10mm and extension is needed). Also behind the cover is a white plastic lever (push straight up on this to release the headlight). After all of that is done, pull the headlight straight out or push from the fender well side.
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Engine Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim
Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior

4. This is where it starts getting a little different from dual lights. On the back of the headlight assembly is two twist lock covers. Behind those covers are the bulbs and plugs. Note that the top light is your low beam and the bottom is your high beam. After removing the twist lock cover, a 1” hole will need to be drilled in it to accommodate for the new wire coming through.
Auto part Engine Carburetor Automotive engine part Electrical wiring
Auto part Hand Automotive wheel system Wheel Rim

5. Remove the old bulb and install the new one. Just like woodmw, I did not like the way the bulb fit in the housing with the o’ring that came with the bulb. I used the old o’ring off the old bulb to make a tighter fit.
A: The low beams (H11 bulbs) did not come with the connector on the wiring. Instead it came with two spades. This is normal according to DDM. (Bad design IMHO) Plug the spades into the connector on the truck for the original bulb. Make sure red positive goes to white/blue wire and the black negative goes to the black/blue wire. I recommend using electrical tape to hold these in place. Run the other wires through the hole you just drilled on the twist lock. I put RTV silicone around the rubber grommet of the new wires for peace of mind.
Auto part Electrical wiring Technology Carburetor Engine
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Auto part
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Auto part

B: The high beams were a little easier. The connectors are straight plug and play. For grins and giggles I put electrical tape around these also. Same thing as for the lows, run the other wires through the hole you just drilled on the twist lock.
Electrical wiring Wire Technology Computer cooling Electrical supply
Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Engine Auto part

6. Mount the ballasts and relay harness.
A: On the passenger’s side there is a plastic cover that runs from the top to the bottom. I found this to be the best place to mount the ballasts (one above the other). The relays I just zip tied to an existing wire loom.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Hood

B: On the driver’s side there is a rubber piece up top. This is wide enough to mount the ballasts right next to each other (side by side). Or you can mount them sideways on top of each other. The relays were also zip tied to the fuse box.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

7. Run the wire and plug everything up.
A: On the passenger’s side run the wire through the intake hole. Or drill a hole right next to it and run the wire through the drilled hole. To pop the intake tube off reach inside the air intake box and push the tabs in and pull the tube out. While pushing the headlight assembly in run the wiring through the hole of your choice. After running the wire through, plug everything up. And reinstall the intake tube.
Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Bumper

B: On the driver’s side there is a hole right next to the fuse box. Same as the passenger’s side push the headlight in and pull the wire through. After getting the wire through plug everything up. I taped all connections up just for peace of mind.
8. Check everything before bolting it all back up. You will have to start the truck to check the highs and lows. I had forgotten to plug the high side up on the driver’s side.
Now the for the Fog Lights. These are VERY EASY.
1. Crawl under the truck and remove the blubs and put the new ones in. No need to remove the assembly
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Automotive fuel system Fuel line

2. Mount the ballasts.
A. On the passenger’s side I just mounted it on the same plastic piece as the other ballasts.
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Technology Electrical supply

B. On the driver’s side I mounted the ballast to the bolt that is holding the fog light assembly in place.

3. Now just plug everything up.
Good Luck and enjoy being able to see at night:smileup:

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome Tutorial!

Thanks very much for taking the time to put this together. I can't find anything on the web for installing new bulbs in my 2012 RAM 1500 Quad headlights. I'm not going HID at this time, but this is exactly what I need to know to install the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs.

Rumor has it that this can be done without removing the grill...at least for just replacing bulbs. I would hope this is true...otherwise Dodge is just lining the pockets of our local, grossly-overpriced dealership service department ;o). I will do the install today and comment on whether I can do it without grille removal.

Cheers!:smileup:

#5 ·
OK you win. It may be possible to pull the headlights without removing the gril, but it's so ridiculously easy to pull it, why bother?? The extra room for working is worth the minimal effort, and if you leave the grill in place you risk scratching it up.

Your tutorial was bang on, and was very useful in getting the job done. I referred to it a couple times during the procedure to verify certain things. Awesome! Thanks again for your effort!

#9 ·
Nice write up to bad you used DDM they are horrible and hope you used a canceler or a relay harness cause if not you will get flicker. Hope your lights last cause if not you have to send back to ddm so they can check the ballast hole time your without a light.To many horror stories with ddm will never use again there prices are cheap cause you get what you pay for

#37 ·
Nice write up to bad you used DDM they are horrible and hope you used a canceler or a relay harness cause if not you will get flicker. Hope your lights last cause if not you have to send back to ddm so they can check the ballast hole time your without a light.To many horror stories with ddm will never use again there prices are cheap cause you get what you pay for
Dang it DodgeRT.... yah, i UNFORTUNATELY went the cheap route with DDM... one, shipping takes forvever as it comes from China.. two, if you dont order all the necessary cables/relays at the same time, you have to wait for those also... by the time you get it installed (30 + days) and still doesnt work, you cant even get a refund... FML..

I'm thinking Retro Solutions but damn theyre expensive....
what did you go with?

#15 ·
it seems you know alot about these hid kits . do you know if these kits come with everything you need for them to work properly ? if not what would you need to purchase extra for the hid kit to work properly. also i have a 2006 dodge ram slt 4x4. someone mentioned to me about this part for the hid lights and it is called a cambust. he said without using the cambust part it will show up as a bulb out . can you give me some helpfull info on this

#22 · (Edited)
I'm bout ready to pull the trigger on this pending input from SS4Luck and Philpott50:

What relay harness is needed? I called DDM and they said that a Dodge is damn near impossible to get to work correctly. Referred me to this article on their website:

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=47&nav=0,2

"High/Low HID Kits installed on Dodge Rams may present with flickering on the low beams and, to a much lower frequency, with flickering on the high beams. The flickering may ultimately result in the HIDs turning off. In most cases, it's possible to correct this flickering (and turning off) by installing one of the following components: 4700 uF Capacitor, 100 ohm/25W resistor, 6 ohm/50W resistor, or a 100 ohm/10W resistor. Only one of these components will be necessary. Based on customer input, the Capacitor and the 100 ohm/25W resistor have been most reliable as a solution. Also, the Raptor ballasts tend to be more amenable to these solutions than the DDM Slim ballasts (for reasons that aren't clear to us). Therefore, if the flickering isn't corrected using a resistor or capacitor and the kit has DDM Slim ballasts, you may need to switch to Raptor ballasts. We can set up an exchange for you if the ballasts are in Brand New condition; please contact us for that.

Because the Raptor ballasts are more likely to respond to the Capacitor and Resistors described above, we strongly recommend installing Raptor HID kits in the Dodge Rams.

The Capacitor or Resistor needs to be connected between the ground wire and the trigger wire of the circuit that is affected (generally, the low beam circuit). From a functional standpoint, it doesn't matter if the component is wired into the H/L harness or the stock hiring however, modifying the H/L harness will void the warranty of the harness.

Another option to prevent the flickering is to install a low beam only HID kit. We have taken reports that the low beam only version often (but not always) does not experience the flickering problem.

Special Note for Quad Headlights (separate Low and High Beams): If there is a flickering problem, we have been advised that the Error Code Eliminators Type-3 correct the flickering problem. Based on the information we have received, the 2011 Dodge Ram with the Quad Headlights require the Error Code Eliminators for the Low Beams and may need them for the High Beams. Earlier Dodge Rams with Quad Headlights may not need any Error Code Eliminators.

One Last Note: Some customers have tried all of the above solutions for their Dodge Ram without success so we are unable to promise that your Dodge Ram will accept aftermarket HIDs. For that reason, we advise doing a test installation in such a way that the HID kit is not modified and does not show any signs of installation; that way you can return the HID kit for a refund (please contact us through our Submit a Ticket option on the Support page to request a return for refund)."

#17 ·
I am getting the DDM kit to install for my boy

just making sure i get all of the stuff.

1) DDM H11 Low beam 35Watt 8k Kit
2) Bulb out canceler ? (i do need this for this truck correct?)
3) 9145 Fogs 8k
4) ? do I need a relay kit or can i just use the stock wiring? I have always used the stock wiring in teh past and have never had a problem and have installed like 20 + kits but I dont want to screw my boys brand new truck up (obviously) lol

#21 ·
I am getting the DDM kit to install for my boy

just making sure i get all of the stuff.

1) DDM H11 Low beam 35Watt 8k Kit
2) Bulb out canceler ? (i do need this for this truck correct?)
3) 9145 Fogs 8k
4) ? do I need a relay kit or can i just use the stock wiring? I have always used the stock wiring in teh past and have never had a problem and have installed like 20 + kits but I dont want to screw my boys brand new truck up (obviously) lol
Same question I have, what all do I need for my 12 Longhorn Laramie? I wanna do the headlights and fogs.

#24 ·
Just so this is in here as well, this was my responce
I am running the DDM 55W Raptor kit with error code eilminators in my truck and have had 0 problems. I have helped countless forum members install the same setup and again have no problems with their set up either.

It has been noticed that 55W kits tend to have less problems with the quad light setup and we think its because they pull more current helping the truck not think there is a light out. The bulb simply color/temperature does not effect the flickering, it is simply the ballast setup.

I would recommend the Raptor kit, not the slim ballast kit, those seem to go out more often as well. The error eliminator kits seem to put enough resistance into the circuit to not create problems.

If you had the dual set up it would be a different story, but the quad setups are pretty easy.

The main problem dodge is the 3rd gen 1500s with their bixenon setup. Quad headlights seem to be plug and play as long as it is done smart. The few times I have seem DDMs fligher in the low beams of a quad setup with error eliminators a relay harness fixed the issue, but i believe starting with both error elims and a relay harness on low beams is overkill and unnecessary work to start with.

#25 ·
and as far as fog lights go it is 100% plug and play with a stock wiring and a stock kit. No error elims or relay harnesses or anything else needed. Those dont get the same "pulse" current the headlights do

#26 ·
I have a quick question. Are any of you having issues with bulbs not lighting up at start up? I installed a set in a previous car and when it was cold out one light would never light and I'd have to turn lights off and on again to get them to fire. I was always nervous that I was running on one light. Is this an issue with anyone or certain HIDs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.