DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dome lights on ignition off?

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Excoastie 
#1 ·
I drove my husband's 2013 F150 to pick him up at the airport Wednesday and we have been discussing this for the last few days. Since we can't come up with any answers, I'm turning to you all. :)

I am driving his truck and park. I turn the key off and the dome and map lights illuminate the cab without any door being opened. I tested this and it also works if you turn the truck off and remove the key from the ignition.

Is it possible for our Rams to do this? A certain setting perhaps? I have searched the EVIC and nothing. Maybe it is something the dealer can program?

The reason I love this feature:
You are parking at night and it is raining or you're in a blizzard or it is just dark out and you forgot to turn your carport light on before leaving home.. you don't want to have to open the door in order to see to gather your items before dashing to the house door. Right?

I didn't think I could love anything about his F150, but this is something I am intrigued by and motivated to figure out if it can be done in my truck.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
My 2013 you can hit the unlock door button on the key fob and the inside lights and head lights come on for 90 seconds. The settings are in the radio for the time settings.

Greg

#3 ·
I think that this, or something similar may the solution to your "problem" Kai.

I've noticed other vehicles doing what you have described in the F-150, but now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen this feature in a Chrysler product.

I believe the amount of time that the lights will stay on when you click the remote button can be set and specified in the EVIC. If my memory serves me correctly, I think that it's called "illuminated approach" or something similar.

good luck

Exco

#4 ·
I think my point was lost in translation.. I'll try again.. sorry

I know of illuminated approach. I know the dome lights have a delay off after you close the doors. I am talking about something different.

The key is in the ignition. The truck is running. You park, turn the truck off and remove the key. The dome lights illuminate.

No doors were opened. No buttons were pressed. The dome lights were triggered by the key being removed from the ignition.

Can this be accomplished in our Rams?

#6 ·
Yeah.. after flipping through the manual, playing in the truck (hopping back and forth from my Ram to the F150) trying to find an answer.. alas, I have nada. Apparently Mopar, in all of their glorified wisdom decided to add this neat, and very practical, feature to their Ford line and not bestow our Rams with it as well. *le sigh*

#7 ·
Okay I have to admit that I thought that all of you had lost your mind. :)

I just went out to my truck to have a look to see what it does, and holy crap you are right the interior lights don't come on.

I guess I always pull the key and open the door at the same time, because I thought for sure that they came on? Perhaps it's on my 200 convertible instead??

I did try the pressing of the unlock key on the key fob and that turns the lights on, but it sort of misses the concept of working properly if you ask me?

Damn, now I'm going to miss something I didn't know I missed, thanks KA1! Hahahaha

#8 ·
LOL! So sorry to peak your interest and then let you down! Kind of like when I found out that the 2011s had a remote window down feature using the key fob, only to discover on the same thread that it wasn't included or offered on the 2012s. Sorry about that!

#10 ·
I thought that I had an "ah ha" moment earlier today. I was thinking that some lights could be added to the accessory delay feature that our trucks have built in. I then got to thinking that the lights would be on all the time if this was the case, so it wasn't such a good idea after all.

I wonder if something could be done with some sort of relay. Trigger the relay to release, therefore powering the circuit after the ignition was turned off, and tie in any lights through the accessory delay feature.

In theory it would work, putting it into practice might be more trouble than it's worth.

Any one have any ideas on how to make something like that happen?

Exco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.