DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Add factory integrated brake controller

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  batster 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am having a problem with my search. I want to install a factory brake controller (I should have ordered the truck with it) and I have came across the thread a time or two where someone did a write up with part numbers and how to. Now that I need the thread i cannot find it. My truck is 2013 Larime Longhorn CC 4x4 w 5.7 8 speed (3.21's) Any help finding the thread would be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
Mine is in route now from amazon. I am hoping it won't need dealer flash as when I originally called to let them do the whole install they said you can only get that option on 2500 and 3500. Right then and there I said never mind I will do to myself.

The nice things about owning the 2013 Laramie cc is all the cool technology on board, unfortunately it takes the dealers several months if not longer to catch up and learn them. Thank god for places like RF or I would be just as in the dark as the dealers.

#11 ·
Thanks. I want to add this to my truck in case I ever tow a trailer with electric brakes. I hope the EVIC recognizes it. My truck has the tow upgrade and hitch but I didn't get the brake controller when I ordered the truck and I wish I would have remember to add it on the build.

What do you tell the dealer if you install it and need to have it flashed? "Hi I just installed a mopar brake controller and I need you to flash my truck's computer to be able to control it in the dash screen?"

#14 · (Edited)
so the temperature got to mid 50's today and i had a chance to install the integrated brake controller. For the people that were able to do their install in 30 mins, you all should do installs for a living. :smileup: It took me about 2-3 hours.

The three screws Mopar wants you to install to secure the brake controller to the underside of the dash is a joke. I would require being triple jointed, lucky, and a magician. This is what took the longest of the 2-3 hour install, i finally abandoned the supplied screws for some good ol velcro, i will circle back on that and get some bolts, lock washer, and nuts as someone else suggested. I was stubborn and was trying to get all three screws to work just as the directions suggested but I see no way to follow the inclosed directions to a t.

Finally i had every thing plugged in and everything reinstalled and it was time to see if it was going to work without a dealer flash. I scanned through the EVIC screen and saw no dedicated trailer brake screen but i did see where you could add the brake gain display and trailer trip meter to your screen. Is this all that i can expect or is there more to be had with the flash?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101700001@N05/11918412156/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101700001@N05/11917522625/

image by brenttaylor1, on Flickr

image by brenttaylor1, on Flickr

IMG_1911 by brenttaylor1, on Flickr

#18 ·
I went to dealer today to have this feature added (flashed) they do not know what the code is to add. anyone have access to this info? they told me the code should be in the manual (not sure where mines at).

Looking for the Trailer Brake Controller feature code.

Thanks in advanced!

#16 ·
after i installed the brake controller afternoon i started the truck to make sure the controller was registering to the vehicle, i did not take it for a drive. This morning on my way to work my check engine light came on. There was no problems during the install, no sparks, no issues whatsoever. I got to work and turned off the truck then back on and the engine light went out. I wonder if not having the flash done the PCM freaked out momentarily?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.