DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Had the ole Ram at the dealer yesterday to have them warranty the exhaust system. I

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  08quadram 
#1 ·
Had the ole Ram at the dealer yesterday to warranty the exhaust system. I seem to be spending way too much time there. Anyway, I've been having problems with the MDS turning on from a stop, or more acurately staying on from a stop. He said they have a new flash (already flashed it once) that should address it. This one had to be specifically asked for as they couldn't automatically install it. He said it was supposed to shorten the time the MDS stayed on. Can anyone tell me exactly what is changes? I know the first flash was supposed to keep it from turning on until 21 mph. That didn't work for mine. This seems to have stopped that, but Haven't had any time to drive it much to feel any changes.

Thanks

G
#2 ·
I'm not sure how the flash changes the parameters of MDS operation. Nor did I realize folks were having a problem with MDS coming on while sitting at an idle. That is not how it is supposed to work.

Hopefully this flash takes care of the problem. Let us know.

#4 ·
Acutally, I haved about 1,500 miles left on the warranty. The service manager told me a few months ago, that even if my bumper to bumper was up, they would take care of it, because I'd complained about prior. Any idea what this current flash actually does?

#6 ·
Just possibly the MDS functioning & the fuel saver light coming on are being mistaken for being the same thing?
The fuel saver light just lets you know that you are driving close to perfect for saving fuel
While the MDS kicks in around 30-35 mph, when you are driving under a NO LOAD condition, like nearly flat or down grade road, if you hold a steady throttle & start a little upgrade, you can usually tell that MDS kicks out changing from 4 cylinders up to 8 cylinders

I have recently noticed, while on my cross country trip, in places where the speed limit is 30 mph, i would hit that point where the MDS wants to kick in & back out several times in a mile, i just shifted down to a lower gear & it stopped doing that, i could have dropped down to 29 mph, but thats just not me :)

#7 ·
im glad my truck was made before the mds curse. my wifes challenger has it and its not bad since she just has the stock dual exhaust and doesnt have plans on replacing it. If your warranty is about up, you might just want to buy a programmer to disable it altogether.

#8 · (Edited)
There is no fuel saver light or MDS light. It is very easy to tell if its in MDS mode from a stop. It sound like SH$% and about 30 feet from the stop, all eight cylinders kicks in and she takes off (well slightly exaggerated) But is it very noticeable. Doesn't happen all the time, just once and a while. The You can hear the difference between 8 and 4 while driving around town at 20 mph or less easily. HUGE difference in sound quality/power. The latest flash seems to have solved the problem. thankfully.

The flash before this was supposed to disable itself below 21 mph according to the service manager and I think RamTech mentioned it also.

#9 ·
The MDS system is hydraulically actuated (through oil pressure). I fail to see how the exhaust system could be the culprit here. Yes the exhaust (after market) sounds like crap with the MDS engaged but that shouldn't be an issue @ a dead stop.
[Randy - Correct me if I'm wrong]

#10 ·
The exhaust system wasn't the culprit, It just was coming loose. Chad (service manager) said came to me saying they had a new "fix" as he stated it, with a grin.
I wasn't an issue at a dead stop, but pulling away from the stop, the truck would be in 4 cyl. mode. If it wasn't in 4 cyl. mode, it would kick on prior to shifting into 2nd gear. Now keep in mind, this usually only happens when I'm puttin around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.