DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What is your favorite A/T Tire? (if price wasn't an issue)

• BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO

Votes: 149 33.4%
  • Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Cooper Zeon LTZ

Votes: 34 7.6%
  • Firestone Destination A/T

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Michelin LTX A/T 2

Votes: 38 8.5%
  • Nitto Terra Grappler

Votes: 95 21.3%
  • Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Toyo Open Country A/T

Votes: 99 22.2%
  • Yokohama Geolandar A/T - S

Votes: 4 0.9%

Favorite A/T Tire (if price didn't matter)

30K views 126 replies 91 participants last post by  adboyd06 
#1 ·
So many folks talking tires lately, myself included, so I thought we could run a poll and see what is the most desired A/T tire out there assuming price was not an issue.

#4 ·
I prefer going mud tires, if i ever put an A/T on i would have to say toyo just for the great reviews and long life, there are a little more expensive tho :smiledown:

#5 ·
That's interesting because my tire shop told me they quit carrying Toyo's because they were getting so many problems with them wearing too fast. Maybe I'll give Nitto a try.

#7 ·
Toyo makes Nitto's tires for them. I have a feeling if anybody is wearing out Toyo tires fast they have other issues happening. I have Toyo M/T's and love them especially the sidewall but when it comes to an A/T tire I voted BF A/T. They've been around forever and have always been a favorite of mine. If BF still made the original M/T tire I would be running those right now instead of the Toyo M/T's.

#9 ·
nittos for me!!! may not last as long as the bf's and others but i like the look of them better than any other one,remember price is no object!!!

#10 · (Edited)
Well I put some Nitto's on today: 305/55/20 and they really "rumble" around on the highway. The vibration at 70 is not acceptable at all, so I'll be back at the shop in the morning. It's no surpise though, because my experience with Discount Tires is that half their tire apes have no "F-ing" clue how to balance a tire. I put a new set of BFG KDW tires on my challenger three months ago and it took 3 trips to get them balanced correclty. I actually ended up at a Firestone shop to get an alignment done and they show'd me the balance weights slapped all over the inside of the rim (criss-crossing weight strips over each other, etc). I put Michelin MS 2's on my wife's suburban two months ago and had to bring them back for rebalancing after driving down the street.

This is the third full set of high end tires I've purchased in three months (yeah, nuts to do that to three vehicles in the same year even, much less 3 months!), and I think I'm about done doing business with this organization. A letter to the upper management is in the works to highlight their shotty business issues! I wish we had more options for tire stores other than NTB or Discount. I need to find a 4x4 specialty shop in Houston!

Quick recap: I ordered the Nitto Terra Grappler's yesterday in size 275/60/20 to match the stock size on my truck. When they called this morning to tell me they were in, I went over and asked to examine them. All four tires were manufactured in 2007!!!!!!!! I told them I wasn't going to buy three year old tires at a "new" retail price. They had the same tires in 305/55/20 in the shop that were all made in 2010, so I reluctantly agreed when they showed me the computer said they would fit my truck. Well, they vibrate like hell at 70MPH, I can't turn full circle into a parking spot without feeling them rub, and they "feel" like the car is driving VERY sluggish and bogged down. I think I'll be telling them to stuff these back in the rafters and pull out some Michelin or Pirelli's instead. I'm not bumping up another $100 per tire for BFG's if A/T's run this sluggish and rough, and I think it's safer to stay with 275/60/20 if I'm not going to lift the body. Those 305's don't fit stock, no matter what the computer says.

You'd think you would get a better experience from a tire store when you have done this much business with them, but these guys are not built for real customer satisfaction in my opinion.

#16 ·
BFG are made by Michelin and I don't think you would be disappointed with them. The tread pattern doesn't have as much to do with your truck feeling sluggish and rough it's more the change in height/width and how true the tire is etc. The Nitto's are great tire's too though and every bit as good as the BFG's so it had to be whoever installed them or something that's weird.

#11 ·
I have the BFG A/T KO and they are really good! I love those tires very quite and they are smooth. The tread on them lasts for a long time, mine still look brand new! That kinda sucks cause I am waiting for them to wear out to buy new tires haha

#12 ·
I'd go with Pro-Comps or Nittos. I've got the Trail Grapps, and they perform seriously in the mud, so I can't comment first hand on the Terras however a client of mine LOVES his. Additionally the local 4x4 shop can't hardly keep them in it seems like. Those same guys were all running Pro-Comp Xtreme ATs for the longest time and said they wore like a dream.

Guys not to be a stick-in-the-mud but why are you buying tires over the internet? I mean the "good deal" is gone by the time you have to pay for rotations, mounting, and balancing. Additionally you get very little-no customer service. The local guy is always going to care more because he lives and dies based on his work.

As a guy who is a local businessman and then has to deal with people who go outside the area and always complain I am continually at a loss about this kind of stuff. I personally would like to shake the man's hand I'm doing business with. Not to say I'm lambasting all online purchasing, but if you can get it local, and it will have to be serviced, locally, it's normally cheaper in the long run I've found.

Luke

#19 ·
I ended up returning the 305-55-20 Nitto's. They were sluggish, rubbed during turns and vibrated at 60mph. I went with 275-60-20 Mich AT2 and they really ride great! No noise, great dry/wet traction, no rubbing, and look good (pictures to come in another thread).

#22 ·
I don't think the tires were "sluggish" but more so your truck was sluggish due to the larger tire. I have 305/50/20 Nittos and there not any louder then the stockers were nor is there any vibrations. Probably the way the were balanced IMO.

My choice would be between the Nitto's and the BFG's really havent had the Nitto's long enough to make a sure fire choice.

#21 ·
I now Have 305/55/20 Mickey Thompson ATZs!!!!! I found a set with 18/32s left on the tread and they only come with 20/32s to begin with. I got them for 550 mounted and blanced, not the quietest tire but no vidrations and handles just as good as the originals. Very happy with them. Now i just need to put new lower ball joints in and take my shocks to 2" raise and shuv my 1" blocks in the back and ill be done.

Attachments

#25 ·
Depends soley on your needs. I only off road on Forest Service and BLM roads. I don't go "muddin" and I don't go "crawlin". I tow a travel trailer on the road. So, a full blown off road tire is not acceptable to me. For those that do a full blown off road tire is a must. It is all about what you need.

#53 ·
100% agree with h2oman. The O.P. subject was for an all around decent A/T so maybe his truck needs the quietness of a highway tire but the light duty offroad like an A/T and yet still handle towing needs for street grip, especially on wet concrete.

#26 ·
Holy THREE YEAR OLD thread, Batman!

I agree with, fast.

Those Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials are truly an outstanding all-terrain wrap in every way.

:smileup:

#29 ·
I was torn between the BFG's and the Nitto Trail Graps, I went with the Graps but if I was going to get some ATs it would def. be the BFGs.

#30 · (Edited)
I'd definitely go for the BFG AT's. I've had two sets of them so far and have loved them. The first set I got 75,000kms out of them.. never had a problem with them once. Very long lasting tire and very quiet but is also extremely capable. One of the best AT tires in my mind.

#31 ·
^ The poll was for what AT tire you'd get. lol

I'd definitely go for the BFG AT's. I've had two sets of them so far and have loved them. The first set I got 75,000kms out of them.. never had a problem with them once. Very long lasting tire and very quiet but is also extremely capable. One of the best AT tires in my mind.
I just wish these BFG AT's came in 37" for a 20" rim or even an 18" rim, but nope.....only for a 17" rim do they come in 37's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.