DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Call me crazy

791 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ONOutdoorsman 
#1 · (Edited)
I took out my Fosgate 12" sub and box and put the OEM sub and box back in and only wired up 1 voice coil and did not bridge but rather only hooked up 1 channel for a max output of 350W at 2ohm from my aftermarket amp. It sounds pretty darn good :4-looney:. I'm going to run like this for a bit. My 12" sub and box may be for sale soon :4-dontknow:. Plus I noticed my amp isn't running nearly as hot as before after cranking some tunes for more than 10 minutes.

I tried wiring up the voice coils in series to get 4ohm and bridge my amp (like the setup with my aftermarket sub) but it sounded like crap. That's why I only wired up the 1 VC and did not bridge my amp. Also, my amp is max 700W bridged at 4ohm and I believe that will be too much for the OEM sub.

Yeah yeah, I know, you are supposed to wire up both voice coils and some will argue that I will ruin the sub by only hooking up one. I did some research and the majority said it is ok as long as you realize your sub's max wattage will be reduced and you don't over power it with your amp, which I believe I have under control. Time will tell.

I have already stated that I am not impressed with the speakers in this Alpine system but the sub has earned more respect from me.

See less See more
#6 ·
UPDATE: hooked up the other voice coil to the other channel and set my amp to mono. I got a little more volume out of it so I had to turn down the gain a bit. I did notice that the bass doesn't fall off as much at higher volume as it did with just 1 voice coil hooked up.

My taste in what I want from a sub is mostly for the low lows. Like from the bass drum. I am not too keen on the mid lows like from the bass guitar and that is what I can't seem to dial out of this sub. I have my LPF down to the lowest setting and this sub still pushes out to much mid-lows for me where my Fosgate sub did not. I can tolerate it but I am still up in the air about whether to go back to my aftermarket sub and box. I do like the factory look with the OEM sub so that is a big driver as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.