DODGE RAM FORUM banner

bumper shims - safety?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  shadango 
#1 ·
I have a new 2012 1500......big horn.

When I got it, I found that the front bumper was misaligned along the plastic fascia......big gap on drivers side, none on passenger.

Dealer said they would take care of.

Seems that the way they took care of it was to add shims , in the form of what looks to be big nuts, between the flanges where the bumper shell bracket meets the frame flange on the driver side.

That allowed them to make the gaps all pretty, except now the trailing edge of the bumper on the driver side sits forward of the wheel well arc, and is even on the passenger side.

Aesthetic issue aside, any thoughts on the method they used to shim the left side?

The original design had tow flanges meeting all the way around the perimeter. Now, there are 4 separate contact points, and only around each bolt.

I know these bumpers are low-speed bumpers, but are the shims sacrificing safety or anything?

Also, I intend on adding two hooks....since they will mount on the back side of the frame mount flanges, I should be OK there, as long as the bolts are still long enough.

See less See more
#3 ·
You know what thats from? Someone tapped it while it was sitting on the dealer lot. I have seen this many times. Go to the dealer and DEMAND that they give you a partial refund, or a new truck.

Wow man, some dealerships...that is un-freakin-acceptable. That kind of damage happens when the truck collides with something on one corner of the bumper, but its low speed enough that it doesnt appear to do any damage, until you look closer.

Demand that they fix it and give you a partial refund (like $1500), or a new truck that has never been damaged, since that is what you paid for. I would be furious.:box2:

#5 ·
Ridiculous! How old is it? If its very new still, take it back and get a new truck. If not, have them REPLACE all of the DAMAGED parts required to make it like new. Accept Nothing less.

#6 ·
I really dont think the truck was hit. I have been under the truck and nothing looks bent or tweaked.......I walked the lot and I would say about 50% of the trucks there had bumpers that were misaligned, etc........

The big issue is that these bumpers have up/down adjutsability (elongated holes) but no in/out adjustability.....that, combined with how they have the plastic facia running along the top, and if it is off you see it.

I am thinking either the sub-bumper assembly (what the chrome shell actually mounts to in back) is off on that side or maybe the front frame horn is off a little.

Its not a huge problem.

truth be told, if this is the best it gets, I can live with it....the front is pretty much perfect.......the one side isnt.....just want to see if they can get it "perfect". I have been watching the trucks on the streets and most have one of the two issues...the side is not aligned well or the front isnt.

My 2003 Durango had a similar issue, with the one side being a little misaligned.

Will post some pics of mine.

#7 · (Edited)
Just as an update on this:

The dealer swapped a complete bumper and sub-assembly from another truck to mine. Same issue.

Then we compared notes -- I took a walk on their lot prior to them doing so and we agree that about half the trucks on their lot had the same misalignment issues just like mine......

One other customer so far has brought this to the attention of the dealer.

The dealer contacted Chrysler, and they were told that they recognize there have been some trucks with this issue across the entire market but that they consider it "normal". Apparantly chalking it up to an issue with the jig they use when the frames are welded.

Ok, that makes sense to me. And its not a huge deal, aside from being an aesthetic issue.

The dealer is having steel plates made for shims and is adding tow hooks and skid plates to my truck as a compensation for me living with it that way. I believe Chrysler is paying for the parts (about $300 if you or I were to buy them, so you know its more like $200 for them or less) but is sticking the labor cost on the dealer.

WTF? That doesn;t seem right at all.

I am appalled that Chrysler is leaving the dealer hanging on the labor to make this right. Luckily the dealer wants me happy.

Just waiting for parts....hoping to have it all done next week sometime.

BTW, finally adding photos. The left side shows the trailing edge of the bumper sitting forward versus the right side....the left side mount picture shows the gap they created using nuts to move the bumper forward on that side so it would line up nice with the plastic fascia. The right mount picture shows it as normal.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.