DODGE RAM FORUM banner

So I love my truck, but hate the giant center console. Any fixes/changes/alterations?

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Ramfd 
#1 ·
that anybody's done?

I've got the quad cab and overall I love the truck, but at times it feels cramped with that giant console. Is there anything that anybodys done to get rid of that or make an alteration to shrink it somehow?

#2 ·
Buy one without the center shifter and console is all I can add to this. I know it doesn't help one bit and I'm sorry :4-dontknow:

But I myself ALMOST bought one with the center console when I was getting my 12'... And I got in it with the First feeling of "That's cute" "Look it has a girl shifter in the center, what is this a sedan?" The second being "It's so tight in here compared to the open center. + That is an extra seat missing, AND on top of that the center fold down seat has more storage than this thing does." ONLY thing I remotely liked was the shifter being on the floor with the manual shift mode. (Hated how you moved it right and left, instead of up and down to shift...) What made me buy the regular steering column shifter setup... It was kind of a girl thing and secondly it made it look so cramped in there...

#6 ·
You could find a local cutom shop to build you a fibergass one and put in the front bench seat out of another truck.

Short of that there really isnt much to do

#8 · (Edited)
While I admire your thinking, the closest thing I have to a custom shop near me does nothing but lift kits.
OTher than a costly custom project, i think you're stuck with it. Not much help from me either.

I like the center console and the center shifter, but I can see the attraction towards the extra seat and more floor space.
Well, if I can't figure out a decent way to do ti my idea of this being my last new truck goes out the window and i buy something else. I hate it more every day, just fels cramped and I'm not even a big guy

and I like the center shifter/console, this one is just giant to the point where I find it to be annoying and badly designed. I kinda figured It'd be an easy fix. If not oh well

#10 ·
There are tons of high end audio shops in PA that would we up for the task that i know about. You could move the shifter wherever you wanted as well. You wouldnt get the middle front seat to be usable really, but it would be a kinda cool suctom look

#17 · (Edited)
i did, i figured it'd just be an easy fix. At least easier than getting a different truck and changing everything else.
Get a Crew Cab instead of a Quad cab, tons of room.

Love my center console. Not very girly at all. Truck feels bad ass.
not an option, took me 3 full sized trucks to accept jsut having 4 doors. only reason I finally got my ram was the crew cab was an option and you could still get the quads. I hate those giant cab trucks.

#13 ·
Creating a custom console wouldn't be that big of a project. I'm not sure how much space you could actually gain, but you could sure make it look a lot smaller / sleeker.

First thing I'd do is remove all the plastic to get a feel for how much space you could gain. If it looks promising then reassemble the plastic outside of the truck, line it with a plastic bag, and fill it with spray foam (the expanding household stuff). Once the foam dries, remove it and you'll have the form of the console. Sand/file/carve it down to make it the size and shape you want being careful not to alter the footprint (where it mounts).. Lay up the fiberglass right on the foam.

#21 ·
:LOL: Hhahahahahhaaha, that's funny, my buddie's sport has the centre console, I like it alot, I myself chose to go without, there's pro's and con's for both, it's just him and his wife though.

#19 ·
I am not a center console fan either, kinda made me feel like I was in a super fast minivan..:). Hey at least it was fast... You should see if the shop can add some subwoofers to the possible enclosure they can build. May as well take a few extra steps if your spending the cash. I also +1 the notion of seeing what kind of deal you can get on another truck all together...:smileup:.. Either way good luck, and let us know how you make out...:att:

#25 ·
Like this haha

this is my temp duty box... in the process of building my own custom center console... primarily for my sub... it will however have cup holders and some depressions to set stuff in the top...

my center seat has been sitting in the spare bedroom for the past 4 months... let me know if you want it ;)

#20 ·
I'm not too sure as I read the new Rams will come with an 8speed and will be some kinda dial shifter instead of the floor shifter. So I may look into that. Option A is still looking hard at a Raptor but I'm not sure yet. I kinda like the rams except for the interior options.

#27 ·
I think it will grow on you after awhile, other than trade it in, whats you gonna do?

#28 · (Edited)
I like the center console/armrest/two 1911's in the top and a half a dozen boxes of .45 ammo on the bottom storage/ and the girly shifter as Jchaney described it. You must not travel with 6 passengers much so let me tell you from experience; 3 hour ride to the coast to do some fishing with the kids and nephews. 2006 6passenger crew cab truck, and everybodies sleeping but me on the way out. Half a dozen times, nephew fell asleep in middle seat and mashed the throttle everytime from moving in his sleep. Got so irritated especially on the two lane roads, pulled over, and had my daughter switch places. Jchaney, your a good age for the girlfriend sittin next to ya and takin care of business; oh yeah, I was young a couple times too! In time, you'll appreciate YOUR space, and the girly shifter as well.

#29 ·
I've considered one of those safes that go in there.

But no, I don't travel with more than me, the wife and the dogs. Occasionally 4 people but that's the most that'll ever be in my vehicle regardless what it is. I just like leg room

#34 ·
i just swictched out my center seat for the console --

I personally think it makes the truck -- all that open room ? for what ? not like the wife is going to come over to my side -- LOLOLOL !!! so I put up a barrier !!!

I have the column shifter and cable you need .. let me know -- and other stuff too .

#35 ·
I wished you were closer to memphis, I would be glad to do a complete swap. I really wish I had the center console. The only reason I did'nt get it was because at the time the center seat was needed every once in awhile. BUt now that the wife as the new durango we dont take the truck as much when all the kids are going with us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.