DODGE RAM FORUM banner

$1000 tune-up 2008 Ram????

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  HemiSuperBee 
#1 ·
My Ram is pushing towards 100k and I was thinking about an overkill tune-up. The old adage is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, it ain't broke, but I wan't to make sure it never does (to the best of my ability). The truck still runs great but I would love to get it back to running as close to as good as it did the day I picked it up.

If you had $1000 for a DIY tune-up, what would you do (excluding any "mods" or "up-grades")?

Any advice/suggestions/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
well I would atleast remove the plugs and replace them. don't forget to gap them properly.

clean the throttle body. remove all the carbon thats built up. also, the throttle body cleaner will clean the valves (slightly)

consider doing a coolant flush. after time the coolant becomes acidic and can cause major issues with your cooling system.

replace the trans fluid and filter.

replace the gear oil in the transfer case. while you're at it, might as well replace the front and rear differential oil.

#3 ·
I agree with the above. I'd also check the brakes, front and rear to make sure that they're still in good shape. Also the air filter, PVC, check all your hoses and the belt(s)

Exco

#9 ·
I've been keeping an eye on all of the hoses and they all seem to be in good serviceable condition. I'll be sure to check again when I'm working on the truck and make any changes necessary at that time.

And how are the tires looking? I know 1k would go far if you had to add those to the mix.
I did replace the tires at the 50k mark. The tires I have on there now still appear to be in great shape and look to have at least another 20k worth still left in them.

Personally, I'd just keep driving it and use that $1,000 to fix whatever breaks
I've actually set this money aside just for this specific purpose. I have other funds in reserve for emergency purposes.

Get a good vacuum pump and flush out the entire brake system. You will feel the difference.
Change every fluid.
how are all your suspension bushings doing?
I think I would probably just replace the radiator hoses along with the coolant flush
I would probably replace the belt and throw the old one behind the seat for a emergency backup.
Actually, checking the suspension bushings would be a task that's a little above my pay grade. I wouldn't know what is considered acceptable or not. I may take the truck to a shop and have a professional take a look at it.

Thanks for everything! If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd definitely be open to hear them.

#6 ·
Get a good vacuum pump and flush out the entire brake system. You will feel the difference.
Change every fluid.
how are all your suspension bushings doing?
I think I would probably just replace the radiator hoses along with the coolant flush
I would probably replace the belt and throw the old one behind the seat for a emergency backup.

#18 ·
:iagree: I use a one man bleeder system that uses a presurized tank to force feed fluid and pressure from the top of the master cylinder out thru the bleeder screws. Easy as pie. It may help prolong the life of your brake lines and calipers and such.....it will give you better braking if the fluid has never been changed....you will definately feel the difference!

#7 ·
Thanks guys! Lots of good advice in this thread. I know alot of this stuff seems simple enough to think of but when you start trying to look at the entire truck and every single part in it, it'[s easy to go in a thousand different directions.

Outside of changing the oil and air filter, I was planning on doing a few things. Those things include:

1. Replace spark plugs and coil packs
2. New brake discs and rotors
3. Change brake fluid and rear differential fluid
4. Flush and replace coolant
5. Replace belts
6. Change transmission fluid and filter

Once I've done these things, I'll determine what else needs to be done.

#8 ·
CovertRam;799926clean the throttle body. remove all the carbon thats built up. also said:
This completely slipped my mind and I'm glad you mentioned this. I'll be sure to add this to my list.

I've never removed the throttle body on this truck before. Is there a gasket that I will need to replace? I'm not very familiar with this engine. After running my bank account and 1997 Dodge Dokata Sport 4x4 w/ 5.2L into the ground, I vowed that I would leave this truck as stock as possible and do everything I can to get 250k out of it. So far, I'm well on my way, but it's time that I learn a little bit so that I can continue onward.

#11 ·
FYI....from another forum regarding zmax.

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.
According to the FTC complaint, since at least May 1999, zMax ran infomercials touting its "Power System," a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials feature testimonials from consumers and race car drivers making claims such as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon;" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase." Other marketing and promotional pieces claim, "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the MAX!" and "Why zMAX Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test."
According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.
The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:
  • <LI itxtNodeId="916" itxtHarvested="0">increases gas mileage; <LI itxtNodeId="915" itxtHarvested="0">increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10% <LI itxtNodeId="914" itxtHarvested="0">reduces engine wear; <LI itxtNodeId="913" itxtHarvested="0">reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup; <LI itxtNodeId="912" itxtHarvested="0">reduces engine corrosion; <LI itxtNodeId="911" itxtHarvested="0">extends engine life; and
  • reduces emissions.
The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:
  • <LI itxtNodeId="923" itxtHarvested="0">increases gas mileage; <LI itxtNodeId="922" itxtHarvested="0">reduces engine wear; <LI itxtNodeId="921" itxtHarvested="0">extends engine life; <LI itxtNodeId="920" itxtHarvested="0">lowers fuel consumption by 8.5% <LI itxtNodeId="919" itxtHarvested="0">lowers wear on valve stems by 66% <LI itxtNodeId="918" itxtHarvested="0">lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and
  • cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.
Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."
The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains.
This case is the latest in a series of FTC law-enforcement initiatives targeting unsubstantiated claims made by auto additive manufacturers. The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.
The Commission vote to file the complaint was 5-0. It was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, in Greensboro, January 31, 2001.

#17 ·
That's an interesting article for anti Zmax. While i always consider myself informed before i make my decision, I have to simply say, yeah, i used it, use it, and it works. Besides my experience, many other companies have produced the same thing. Bi-tron (sold by network marketing under the company NATO) for one, and currently Nitro Lube. All the same stuff. I am aware that stuff like Duralube and Slick50 will work for only a short time and leave contaminates behind. But this stuff i've never had a problem with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.