DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Problems sealing headlights

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gcscott 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I have tried sealing my headlights 3 times now after my retrofit with the Butyl rubber sealant and STILL have condensation getting in. I have siliconed up the OEM caps, OEM bulb gaskets, and the HID boot and wiring going through it. Same problem with the foglights.

I also ran a bead of silicone around the entire outside joint of the headlights.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, a very frustrated retrofitter

#2 ·
At the top of the headlight there are 2 holes, they have a black paper on top of them, these are to let moisture out and none in, are they still there?, if these are pierced they will let moisture in, you can flash a light behind them you will see the light go through but very faintly then they are good. I build my own set, about 3 months in they started to let moisture in, I checked them and found that the cheap rubber gasket that came with the Chinese headlamps that is installed between the bulb or "projector unit" with the heat cracked and was letting moisture in there (cheap cheap cheap sheet) So on a dry day, I pulled them off and let them dry out, then replaced them with some OEM one's, never had an issue after that.

#4 ·
Hmm ok, so you guys recommend plugging the breather holes? I just scraped off the silicone (it never really adhered to the black casing) and used some spray rubber and went over the entire seam with it. Hopefully this helps.

Should I plug the vents as well?

#5 ·
Re-sealed the foglights with butyl tape. Checked for a perfect seal by dipping into water, no leaks. Turned them on tonight and withing 3 minutes they had almost completely fogged up. The bulb had been surrounded with silicone so no gaps on that end.

Is butyl tape only good in the desert? It's almost like it promotes condensation...

Attachments

#6 ·
If you plugged the vents there is condensation in the air (humidity). Put lights in the oven with out the bulbs at 250 deg. for 10-15 minutes so you get the moisture out. Then put the bulbs in right away. That should take of the moisture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.