DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Door mounted switches

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  EricRadar 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm new, so I thought I'd start by saying thank you for what I've learned by perusing this site so far. To begin, I have an easy question. I have a 1999 Laramie, and I'm having a little trouble with the switches. I'm sure they just need to be cleaned, but I'm not sure how to get to them. If there is a trick to getting to the door-lock and window switches, I'd sure like to learn it. Also, if it's not asking too much, one door lock switch does activate a motor, but nothing locks or unlocks. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric Radar.

#2 ·
the switches come out pretty easily. There is a spring clip holding them in, just push the switch as far forward as you can then use a flat blade screw driver to depress the spring clip and pull out.
As for the locking mechanism not working but you hear the solenoid functioning: check to make sure the linkage is hooked up.... do the doors lock and unluck manually? if so its just the motor linkage. If not, further diagnostics will be needed.

#10 ·
Someone once told me to just always keep some pins on hand so when I took off a door panel and broke one, or even a few, I could always just stick a new one in. They do like to bend and the little tab side things likes to bend permanently and no longer grip to the door. Of course I just stick em back in and have my door a tad bit loose because $5 is too much for me! haha. Anywho, Trim tools do make it way easier. They allow a much more even pull on both sides of the tab, you wont bend them and they'll go in and out much better.

And you're correct! That tool you're thinking of does look like a fork and helps tremendously. That and some little pry tools will make that much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.