DODGE RAM FORUM banner

which muffler will fit the stock dual set up?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Carbonless 
#1 ·
My truck has the stainless dual outlet system. I just want to basically cut off the stock muffler and install a flomaster or magnaflow right up in its place. Has anyone done this or will I have to mess with the way the stock set up is to get an aftermarket muffler to work?

#4 ·
I did this last weekend with the 18" magnaflow. It mounted right up and I had my muffler guy remove the rear resonators so he had to weld on some rear outlet pipes to meet the stock tips. He also added about a foot length of 3" tubing in front to meet the muffler. I paid $190 in downtown San Diego (where this kind of stuff is expensive) out the door for the muffler and fab.

#6 ·
First, I love an aggressive sounding exhaust. However, I have muffler bypass pipes on my Porsche so I know how annoying an exhaust can be when driving (I cant even drive the thing for more than an hour at a time). After looking for a long time and knowing that I use my truck as a daily driver I decided that this was a setup that I wanted to try and I'm EXTREMELY happy that I did. With the windows closed in the cab you can certainly hear it when you gun it, but it's not obnoxious like bypass pipes. With idle it is quiet in the cab and with moderate accelleration (i.e. interstate driving) it is very comfortable. Outside the cab it is noticeable and somewhat attention-getting, but not to the point of my porsche where people turn with a "WTF is that" look.

The sound actually got more aggressive when I installed the K&N and is more noticeable when you get on the gas hard.

All-in-all, you couldnt convince me to get a different exhaust for someone that is looking to maintain civility in a truck and have an aggressive sound when hard on the gas. I certainly wouldnt get any louder with the muffler if you want to be able to talk comfortably in the cab. On the other hand, sometimes I want to just be obnoxious...which is why I'm installing an electronic cut-out that will bypass the mufflers at the flick of a switch ;)

#7 ·
I forget what it cost, but, i had the Magnaflow 18" muffler put on mine, to me it sounds just right, a slight rumble at idle & driving down city streets, when the MDS kicks in, i don't listen to it because my radio is on, when climbing a slight grade it rumbles loud enough that my friend in my other truck, thought that I had kicked it down into passing gear & i had not, it had only went back to running all 8 cylinders

Carbonless i live out here in El Cajon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.