DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 Ram 1500 advice before buying

13K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Swamprat 
#1 ·
I am currently looking at getting a new truck and have narrowed it down to either a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD crew cab ( not sure on model yet) or a 2011 Ford F-150 FX4 super crew with the new 5.0 engine.

My question here is... Why should I go with the Ram? I like the looks and will be test driving one tomorrow but what can the owners tell me? I've heard stuff about transmission issues, issues with the HEMI stalling and quality issues like window molding or interior plastic cracking. What is the truth about all this?

Several months ago I was looking to buy a performance car and narrowed it down to the 2011 Mustang GT and the 2010 Challenger SRT. I ended up going with the Mustang because the Challengers I looked at on the dealer lots were showing signs of cracked plastic and scratches all over the interior. I also heard about engine problems with the HEMI's then too.

Now for a truck I want to make sure I get the right one that is going to last me a very long time and get me everywhere I want to go and more importantly get me back. So educate me on the 2011 Ram 1500. I would really like to hear from guys that tested both the Ram and F-150 out and what they noticed. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
That was my exact dilemma as well. It took me forever to decide between Ram and F150 FX4. I decided to go with the ram as I liked the auto 4X4 transfer case. Ford does not offer this and where I live it is an asset for sure. I did not drive the new 5.0 Ford but the Hemi is insane with power. The milage seems to be the same as my 2008 5.3 Chevrolet. My only issues so far are rusting bumpers but I guess Im not alone.
The Ford had a rougher ride to me but had more clearance on the front bumper. I beleive Fords locking diff is probably better than the Dodge anti spin but I am not sure of this either. The interior of my Ram is not cracking and is still as solid as when I bought it.
To me the Ram looks better and performance was better so that is what I chose and I love it so far.

#3 ·
i drive all fords for work, and because of that i would never buy one, we have more of them in service than on the road, and yes alot of them are the lower grade ones with the bear basics, but there are a few of the high end ones and to me they just done have the power. i think its horrible that ford has such a high tow rating because though the frame may be able to handle it, the F150 CC shotbox with the 5.4, barely has enough power on the highway by itself, i actually refuse to pass because im scared with the lack of power. i have an 09 ram sport for 2 years now, ive had zreo issues with it for rust and cracking. a few of the bed molds warped, but they were replaced free of charge as there had been a bad batch. all in all, you put the ford and dodge next to each other and dodge looks better, nicery less cluttered interior and the for just cant keep up with the hemi!.

hope this helps.

#4 ·
I think you will find similar complaints about Ford on their forums as well. All cars and trucks have their issues. I looked at Ford prior to buying mine and they are very nice. I didn't care for the interior... all the buttons on the dash, even with the navigation are not ergonomic and I didn't care for the styling. I love the 04-08 Fords however. My "parking pal" at work drives a '11 FX4 SCrew and it's a very nice truck. An FX4 does sit higher than my Laramie, but that is not really an apples to apples comparison. A Ram TRX4 will sit at about the same height.

#6 ·
My "parking pal" at work drives a '11 FX4 SCrew and it's a very nice truck. An FX4 does sit higher than my Laramie, but that is not really an apples to apples comparison. A Ram TRX4 will sit at about the same height.
I haven't seen any TRX4 Rams at the dealer site. Are they rare or do they have another name? I'd be interested in checking those out.

#5 ·
Great info thanks. Looking forward to driving the Dodge tomorrow. The 5.0 in the F-150 is nice but still only has 360 HP and 380 TQ. I know the HEMI 5.7 has 390 HP but can't remember the TQ numbers right now.

I doubt I will be towing much with it. It will mostly be the daily driver, family vacation, trail vehicle for hunting and fishing. Some rough trails in Arizona so I need a dependable ride.

#7 · (Edited)
I drove a f150 for the last 5 years and had to spent money on mods to make it more powerful (lack of power especially when towing). After a trip to the ford dealer (prices are too high) and the truck didn't change too much and still having the plain dash, I give up the idea of buying a ford, and I get a Dodge with more options and better discount. I am very happy with this purchase and this is my first dodge and i will never be back to ford. lol

#9 ·
living out in the desert
get the tow hooks
get the skid plate
get at least a 3.90 differentials, limited slip or posi

think about wheel size, 20s or 17" ( 17"s rims are less costly if you tear one up )
you don't need to take the tires that are factory stock, the dealer carries other brands

pick which radio/media center that YOU want, they can change it out before you sign on the dotted line. the cheaper basic radios don't have voice commands, touch screen, or NAVigation

i would go with the largest fuel tank, 32 gallons or more

in fact, make sure everything is written in the contract, before signing

this advice is for either brand of vehicle

Happy Hunting

#13 ·
I bought an 2011 outdoorsman at the end of October and got $10,000 of of the $37,300 sticker price,and got $12,000 trade in for my 2008 dodge ram 2wd, short bed, reg. cab v6, SXT package truck which I had paid about $13,000 for when it was new. Don't settle for less than $10,000 of sticker for a 2011 1500 Dodge Ram. I've seen them with up to $10,500 off sticker in the Sacramento, CA area. The price is one reason I bought the dodge and then I used the money I saved to get the $1,900 lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.

#16 ·
Another question for those that bought recently is how does Dodge work the pricing for the deals? I know with the deal written up by the Ford dealer the price was invoice price minus any available rebates. They have 0% for 60 months on XLT's but I don't want an XLT. But I was told the price if I went with the XLT would be invoice minus any rebate then 0%. Does Dodge work this way or will I need to start from sticker and fight my way down to invoice?

#18 ·
Another question for those that bought recently is how does Dodge work the pricing for the deals? I know with the deal written up by the Ford dealer the price was invoice price minus any available rebates. They have 0% for 60 months on XLT's but I don't want an XLT. But I was told the price if I went with the XLT would be invoice minus any rebate then 0%. Does Dodge work this way or will I need to start from sticker and fight my way down to invoice?
I wouldn't worry about that as the dealer gets hold back and pays much less than the invoice price. You should be able to get $10k off sticker without much trouble. The financing will be more difficult... I have excellent credit and was not able to get anywhere near 0%. I financed the truck myself at 3.9% for 60 months.

#17 ·
Not too sure about that, I got mine as a closeout 2010 and only paid 25,7 when the sticker was 33,8. They ended up throwing in sidesteps for free because they wouldn't drop the price down. Just work the dealer and don't be afraid to leave and come back when they call you with a better price!

#19 ·
Make sure they check the computer updates before you take it off the lot. I got my new Ram home on Saturday. Last night I noticed a light on the driver side mirror. It wouldn't shut off. I have to take it back to the dealer today to have something updated.
Other than that, i drove F-150, Tundra, and Ram. The Ram blows them away.

#20 ·
I drove both the Ford and the Ram and picked the Ram....The Ford just seemed heavy and cumbersome, the Dodge feels light and agile. I traded in my 08 for the 11 and although the 08 rode great, the 11 is noticably better.

Good luck with your shopping....and go to at least 2 dealers and see what they have to offer....and let them know your shopping so they'll hopefully give you their best price.

Steve

#25 ·
Both the Hemi and the 5.0L (i have one in a 2011 Mustang) are great engines. The Hemi has the displacement and power advantage (in truck trim) but is thirstier.

The Ford 6-Speed has an almost 40% lower 1st gear than the Dodge Trans so it doesnt need as much gear. When it works right the Ford Trans is superior in almost every way. On the other hand issues with it seem more common than with Dodge.

The Dodge rides a bit better and doesnt have the vibration issues that Ford has been plagued with since 2004.

I believe the Ford would be a better tower due to chassis and trans despite the smaller engine.

Overall the trucks are close enough that it primarily comes down to personal preference or price. The Dodge can usually be had cheaper.

#26 ·
dodge

my 2004 dodge 5.7 has 173,000 miles on it and I,ve really had no problems at all with it my truck is still one of the sharpest trucks around here and the little hemi is just about bulletproof the only mechanical thing i,ve replaced on it is the egr valve other than that just normal maintenance brakes and oil changes

G
#27 ·
I've had 4 Fords, three of them blew up on me and one tried to kill me. No more Fords for me.

But to be objective, Ford does not have a comparable engine to the HEMI, mine has run flawlessly for over 53K miles and the interior is doing just fine except for a few scars caused by inattention on my part.

I am confident that this MOPAR will far and away outlast any Ford I've owned.

I prefer the exterior styling of the Dodge trucks as well. With the option packages offered, they are a great bang for the buck buy.

Good luck with your choice!

#28 ·
Hey there! I'm also debating a Ram 1500 but unsure on which model to go with. I've narrowed it down to the SLT and Sport and I definitely want the Crew cab. But hell, if I could get 10k off like ya'll are talking about I might be in the market for the Laramie! These are the things that are important to me...maybe ya'll can help me with the decision...

Definitely want the HEMI, although I'm still loyal to the Magnum!
ABS
pretty partial to the chrome grill on the Laramie
I'll give up leather seats for the cloth
17's are cool but 20's are better
I would definitely want the MP3/DVD player as well as the CD player

Another big factor that I am not at all familiar with is towing, actually I guess it's really not towing because it would be in the bed. I have a Suzuki GSXR-1000 that I will be doing track days with. What is the ease of getting a motorcycle into the back of this truck? Any suggestions on ramps? Also, how about tying it down?

Thanks for reading my long story...I promise to go introduce myself too!

#29 · (Edited)
Hey there! I'm also debating a Ram 1500 but unsure on which model to go with. I've narrowed it down to the SLT and Sport and I definitely want the Crew cab. But hell, if I could get 10k off like ya'll are talking about I might be in the market for the Laramie! These are the things that are important to me...

Thanks for reading my long story...I promise to go introduce myself too!
I'm glad to have you on the site and from the other posts it looks like you've picked up a great truck. Looking to photos of the ride and bike. :smileup:

To original poster: I've owned an 06 and drove 100 plus every day and traded it for my new RAM because of the value I received. I have family and friends that cuss their Ford or GM all the time for poor fuel mileage or other issue. RAM-IT you'll be glad you did!

#30 ·
I was in the same situation...It came down to a 2011 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 6.2L or the 2011 Dodge Ram Sport 5.7L with 3.92 gears...I really loved the Ford, that 6.2L is legit, but they would not come down off of $45,000...I just could not see paying that much for a half ton-gas engine truck...I drove the 5.0L Ford, but wasn't impressed with the power, reminded me of my 2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L...The Dodge rides way better than the Ford due to the new coil suspension as opposed to the OLD leaf spring setup...That Hemi will get it with the 3.92 gear set-up....and the "cheap" interior reputation that Dodge had is no more with the new Ram, much better interior...I have no complaints what so ever choosing my new Hemi Sport over the 2011 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 6.2L.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.