DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New Mods and a DIY for steering maintence

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sullivan 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought myself a goodie for valentines since I spent this one alone. I needed a gift. :( I got the led strip bar for a steal! $30 brand new on ebay. Does everything the recon bar does except scan, so what.

And I finally got the correct u bolt for my sway bar install as seen here: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=75178

I hard wired all of the connections.

Tapped into the left tail light for the reverse light, impact made it easy.

Here it is at night for the reverse, pretty cool mod for only $30.

Now to some maintenance, steering:

Also taking care of my cooling system, this is the only coolant you should put in your ram.

My steering hasn't been feeling so good lately, read around and figured I would flush the steering fluid and refill. It was easier then a oil change. Below are the steps I took. My 3rd gen ram use's ATF+4, same thing as the transmission fluid. Costs $6. My steering fluid is new, the old is nasty, and steering feels much better. :smileup:

As seen on my dodge, in the red is the rad for the power steering.

Power steering res, unscrew this cap with the car off and cool, may be pressure, wear latex gloves and glasses.

Underneath you have two hoses, use pliers to loosen and slide clips off.

Place a bucket or bowl, in my case I used a old fish bowl my mom was getting rid of, this let me visualize the liquid afterward, it did have a fine grit texture in the bottom!

This is what my level looked like when I took it! :doh:

After you take off the lines, let it drain for a while, jump up and down on the front end to get any excess fluid out of the lines. Then reconnect and apply the clips.

The power steering res should hold 1 hole bottle of ATF+4 fluid, as you fill it will get full, stop. Put the lid on the res, start the car, BUT DO NOT TURN THE WHEEL! This will make the power steering accept the new fluid. Now, turn the truck off, take off the cap again and fill the rest of the way. You will use an entire bottle. I bought two just in case and so I can top off in the future.

Estimated cost of a shop to do ps change: at least $100, for me, it cost $6.

Note: not all rams specify to use ATF+4, such as 2000 models call for a special mopar liquid other then ATF+4, and states explicitly DO NOT USE ATF+4 on this model. So make sure to check your stuff out before.

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
Reactions: 916Timmy
#3 ·
Love the fast reply. :smileup: and thanks, its level all the way across too.

Mine is put up as far as it can be, and isn't viewable from up close. You have to be at least 10 feet away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.