DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Locking Chrome Gas Cap

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Hedghawg71 
#1 ·
As the price of fuel is rising, I imagine more and more the greedy stares of nefarious lowlifes as I park my Ram, the precious fuel sloshing around inside.

I am now looking for a locking fuel filler door, but might as well dress it up while I'm at it. I've seen these for 2002-2008 Rams.

Anyone know of one for the 2011 Ram? Nice looking, and functional too.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Anyone with a screwdriver can quickly do hundreds if not thousands of dollars of damage to pop that cover off, only to find out that the factory anti-siphon valve will prevented them from draining your tank. You will be more likely to get a hole knocked in the bottom of you tank than for someone to try and defeat the anti-siphon valve.

#4 ·
Hmm....I guess that's a good point. I did not know about the anti-siphon thing. I did see an under-chassis alarm system that was for sale. It's not even the value of the gas that bothers me. It's the damage to the truck, and getting stranded at some boat ramp, miles from a gas station.

I guess it still might come in useful for keeping the stupid local vandal kids from putting their own "fuel additives" in my tank, but a plain, plastic cap inside the filler door would probably be fine for that.

Thanks for the education!

#6 ·
A quick check would be to take a rubber hose and start to feed it down your tank. Many people discover this when they try to siphon gas out of their truck to fill up the lawn mower and cannot get the hose to the fuel. Unless there was a change since the 2009+ DS tooling was released, all 1500 rams should have it. All it is is a small disk with a bunch of holes in it. It will let fuel through but stop larger objects such as hoses.

Also, it is much quicker for someone to punch a hole into the bottom of the tank to get the fuel out.

#8 ·
Good stuff to know...That gas cap looks nice but it just may lead to them punching that hole in the bottom... It will save them time and prevent them from being observed by the general public as they try and pry off that locking gas cap....

#11 ·
I got a Flat black with stainless screws one on mine. I got mine at Pep Boys and it actually had 2009-2011 in the product description. They run about $45-$50 and they do screw on with 4 screws. This will keep the average Joe-blow "I need a couple of gallons for my lawnmower" thief out but IF they want that gas, they will get it like others have said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.