DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Push button start

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dguzman79 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a push button start can be added to a keyed ignition?

#2 ·
Pretty much anything can be added, provide dyou're willing to buy all the new pieces needed and go throught he work of having the truck reprogrammed to "understand" the new button.

Keep in mind, though, that there could be a LOT of work here - depending on whether your keys have fobs, embedded chips, etc.

In theory, yeah, its doable because the factory installs these parts during assembly, but it's all the rest of the gear needed to make the "button system" integrate with the truck that might cause you excess cost and frustration.

...and now that I've said all that, someone will come along and explain how it's a plug and play item, I'm sure... ;)

#5 ·
True, if there is a lot involved then probably not worth it..........I was just curious.

#8 · (Edited)
Key-less ignition (passive key) also includes, from the factory, passive entry. To get factory functionality, you would need to gut the truck and run a new wire harness that includes the support for antennas in the center, front doors, and rear cabin. The passive entry module is located on the rear cab wall, driver's side. I would also imagine several modules would need to be reprogrammed in order to support passive entry and passive start.

Might be easier to just replace the truck albeit that would be costly. I think passive entry/passive start should be standard, prevents over-loaded key rings.

Wow, I just looked over the installation manuals for both the passive entry and the passive start systems (Advanced Keys). That is an intense install and you are going to need the vehicle's schematic to find all the wires that have to be tapped. I also can't help to think about the error conditions and DTCs this system could trigger. The one thing that they didn't address in the users' manual is the steering column lock. Even if you install this, it looks to me like you would still need to turn the key the unlock the steering. Did I miss something? I was thinking about this system for my wife's car (2013 Equinox).

#9 ·
If it makes you feel better, the push button ignition and proximity sensors really aren't all that great. I mean, I can't count how many times I've hit the panic button on the key fob when it shifted in my pocket while getting in the truck. Who wants to look like a fool setting off their own alarm all the time? That would never happen if the keys were in the ignition where they belong!

Well, I tried. :D

#10 ·
If it makes you feel better, the push button ignition and proximity sensors really aren't all that great. I mean, I can't count how many times I've hit the panic button on the key fob when it shifted in my pocket while getting in the truck. Who wants to look like a fool setting off their own alarm all the time? That would never happen if the keys were in the ignition where they belong!

Well, I tried. :D
I'm going to respectfully disagree on how great push button start and proximity sensors are. I have them on my Challenger and they are frickin' awesome!!!!! :smileup:

I wish there was an easy way to put them on my Ram.

#12 ·
I successfully installed the OEM push button start in my 2013 Ram 1500. Since I couldn’t find a single video that goes over the steps on how to install I made one. Hope this helps! You can find the links to all the parts I used for the install in the description of the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.