DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need Help with starting problem after truck is warmed up

27K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  One2 
#1 ·
Have a problem with my dodge ram starting after vehicle has warmed up. After I drive the truck for say 1 hour or so and go back to the house and park it for 30 to 45 min truck wont start unless i give it gas. Truck will hit and immedialy die unless I hit the gas. Just bought the truck 5 months ago and have spent 1200$ in repairs trying to trouble shoot. At one time the intake control sensor and the coolant temperature sensor came on. They both were replaced and still doing the same problem. If i park the truck for 24 hours and then start it, it will start fine. Only does it when its been ran and warmed up and shut off for 30 to 45 min. Its a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7L hemi with 116,000 miles. Repairs after i bought the truck include New Champion Iridium spark plugs, MSD spark plug wires, replaced all coil packs to MSD blaster's, throttle body cleaned back to new condition, coolant temp sensor, and intake air sensor. Anyone else have any ideas on what else it could be. Im thinking maybe the injectors are flooding thats why it wont start unless the gas is pressed or a fuel rail / pressure problem.

#3 ·
if it didn't start at all after it was warmed up, i would say the BATTERY was old or undersized

BUT, you say that it does start, but, won't stay running, so it is a different problem

#4 ·
Check the alternator. Take a voltmeter and put the negative led (black wire) to the chassis ground and then with the truck running of course connect the positive (red) led to the positive terminal on the alternator. The voltage should be around 12-14ish volts. If the voltage keeps bouncing up and down then check to make sure all the battery cables are tight on there and the terminals are clean. If the alternator displays below 12 volts check into a new alternator.

NOT SAYING THIS IS THE PROBLEM but you can only diagnose one thing at a time. Like I said ECM possible alternator possible bad battery possible anything is possible.

#5 ·
Did this problem show up after replacing the spark plugs?
I have heard many stories where the Hemi is not happy with anything other that the basic copper core plugs spark plugs. :4-dontknow:

#6 ·
Still having starting problems!

I has since replaced throttle body with 90mm BBK due to other throttle body was bad and was sluggish, problem is still occurring. Have a new optima battery to cover that issue. Alternator is good I tested it. Also fuel pressure is 58 with key on an 60 pounds while running. Truck still doing same thing when truck is warm won't start unless I hit the gas. I'm out of options at this point, don't no what else to fix or check! Been a long year and half trying to figure it out. Even the dealer can't figure it out. Throwing no codes!

#14 ·
Still having starting problems!

I has since replaced throttle body with 90mm BBK due to other throttle body was bad and was sluggish, problem is still occurring. Have a new optima battery to cover that issue. Alternator is good I tested it. Also fuel pressure is 58 with key on an 60 pounds while running. Truck still doing same thing when truck is warm won't start unless I hit the gas. I'm out of options at this point, don't no what else to fix or check! Been a long year and half trying to figure it out. Even the dealer can't figure it out. Throwing no codes!
I have 94 and its doing the same thing imma replace the crank sensor and the 02 sensor

#10 ·
I reset the tps hope it works. Before I bought the bbk throttle body I had dealer relearn the old throttle body with there handheld that's suppose to adjust to your driving techniques. Hope this fixes the problem. Will post again of it fixes it or not!

#12 ·
Problem solved!!

Update mopar fans!!! Problem has since been fixed! Came across a deal I couldn't resist 53lb performance fuel injectors. As I pulled the fuel injectors out I noticed one injector looked newer. I pulled the injectors out and and put the new performance injectors in and WOW was I impressed. Was very shocked when I got first the MPG back on it. Doing 70mph getting 22.5 mpg. Avg tank city / hey 21. Problem has since been fixed truck starts and runs like a new machine!! Very excited putting the aftermarket mopar fuel rail on this week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.