DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anbody used cutouts?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  double0ram 
#1 ·
I'm about to get PaceSetter long tube headers for my 01 5.2L Ram. After the headers I'm not sure what I'm going to put yet, either the y-pipe that PaceSetter makes to go with these headers, or get a cutout for each header then have the exhaust shop down the street make a custom y-pipe. I could put just one cutout on the PaceSetter y-pipe if I go that way. I haven't figured out what I'm putting after the y-pipe, but I want to figure out this part first. Does anyone use cutouts to know how it would sound? I'm not set on using them but just looking at as option.

#2 ·
One of our own super mods CDNOilRam has done cutouts and they sound awesome. Hopefully he will chime in and fill in the details of how he did his.

#4 ·
Guess I missed this one earlier. Yes, I have a quicktime performance e-cutout on mine and I love the thing; there's nothing like being able to have a great sounding exhaust (I have a borla dual rear) got from "mean" to "quick, hide the kids, the end of the world is coming!" in under 7 seconds. I have had a bad habit lately of driving with it open just because I love the sound of open headers so much, but I am still able to have a relatively quiet exhaust when the better half is riding with me.

I had mine installed after my y-pipe since I only use it for the sound so I figured 1 was enough. If you are planning to supercharge, then after the headers makes sense, but if you're naturally aspirated then you won't see any performance gains.
There are many companies out there and in the end, all e-cutouts fail over time, and by fail they usually start to rattle when shut. I've had mine for over a year with no issues, so I endorse the QTP product. I know many people that got the DMH setup and have had them fail in under 3 months. A tip to making your cutout last a long time is to not open/close when you're on the throttle, I normally am stopped or cruising with my foot off the pedal when I open mine so there's not a whole lot of extra pressure that it has to fight against to cycle.

#6 ·
manual cutout are only good for track use IMHO. You'd have to get under your truck everytime to unbolt the cover, then bolt it back up when you're done. The e-cutout is worth it for the convenience; as well as being able to close it when you're around the police so you don't give them any MORE reasons to pull you over, especially if you live in a place with a sound restriction law.

#7 ·
I have an electric e-cutout on my 5.9. Just before the muffler but infront of the O2 sensor. Works great. welded it up and wired it to my amp for my subs to get power. It's LOUD. To be honest, it shook loose some of the bolts hidden somewhere in my bed so it rattles now sometimes. I'll take a new video for you tomorrow but this is what i have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyaESjK7sf4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.