DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help: EVIC Settings Not Saving Key-Off Power Delay

10K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Chilly807 
#1 ·
Good-day,

Recently bought a 2013 Ram 1500 SXT after many good years with my Dakota.

I am having issues with the EVIC not saving settings. I want the radio to not stay on when I exit the vehicle. When I go under Settings in EVIC and change the Key-Off Power Delay to "Off" rather than the factory default "45 Seconds" it never saves the settings. It functions like I want it to and powers off the radio when the key is turned to off the first time. Then, when I start the truck up again to test it, the settings are back on "45 Seconds" and the radio stays on for 45 seconds after I turn the key to off and even if I open the door and exit the vehicle.

Is there something I should be doing to save the settings instead of just changing them and them backing out of the Settings screen?

Thanks so much for your help!

#2 ·
Mine is doing the same thing. Dealership tried to tell me it was a feature. Then after I proved to them it was an issue the shop foreman said it is an issue and the engineers at chrysler are working on it. I called a week later and they said no news yet. He called me back later that day and said the engineers say the bcm is the problem. Waiting for that to come in now. Should be in next week. Hope that helps

#4 ·
What is the status of this on your end? I have the same problem and the service dept says they "have never heard of this problem before". What a croc. It's a double issue. Page 291 of the manual says the key off power delay should be "canceled" when the front doors are opened. This does not happen either along with the issue of not saving the time delay change. I'm taking my truck in soon for this same issue.

#5 ·
Update: Service guy says they contacted Chrysler engineers and it is a problem with the radio, for both reasons, the key off power delay not saving and for the radio not shutting off with the key out when the door is opened. He says they had to order another radio and it will be here in a few days and take about 1.5 hours to replace.

#8 ·
Mine does the same thing, and I've also noticed that the screen setup options for the EVIC screen don't seem to be there, and the ones that are are ineffective. I've heard there's an ongoing replacement of the body control module in the 2013's currently.

I have an appt at the dealer on Monday the 26th, I'll keep you posted as to what happens there.

Sean

#10 ·
Okay.. appointment with dealer to look into my problem (same as Bosstone95's) was today. They checked it over, had no problem re-creating the issue. They called Dodge's tech line, who informed them that yes, there definitely IS a problem with the system, and that as of today, there is no fix for it. Apparently it's pretty common in the SXT's at least. Mine won't retain the time delay settings other than the 45 second default after the key is turned off, and also doesn't turn off the radio as soon as the front doors are opened.

Mine DOES turn off the radio after the default 45 seconds have elapsed, however, which is a blessing. Some of the other trim levels have had problems with the radio simply NOT turning off at all. Apparently some of the Uconnect 8.4 systems do this.

The most they could tell me was that it was a problem with the body control module and the radio not "communicating" properly, or having a "conflict" of some sort.

They suggested I check with them at each service to determine if a fix had been found, which I will do. The engineering work-around for now is to turn off the radio when key is removed if the owner has concerns.

Mine's more of a quirk than anything else, so I can live with it. I suspect the issue existed when the trucks were released last year, and it was considered minor enough to not delay the release of the model year.

Sean

#14 ·
Interesting.. next time I'm at the dealership I'll suggest that as a fix and see what they say. I'm not going to put too much heat on them yet, I'll give them a chance to find it themselves. There's also the possibility that the fix you had done won't work on mine because of some software changes or radio updates that we don't know about.

Thanks,

Sean

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info Chilly807 & toober.

My dealership gave me the same speech about checking with each service and went on to say that mine "is the only one that they have heard having this problem." That kind of ticked me off, as it was almost as if the problem is somehow mine and not theirs? I told them when I come in for my next oil change, I will expect an update from them as to the solution to the problem.

The other issue I have is that I set the EVIC to be KPH instead of MPH because I'm in Canada and it does it for the most part except when I set my cruise. It usually ALWAYS displays the set cruise in MPH for some odd reason.

Like you said, it's more of a annoyance than anything. No issues with the rest of the truck. I can live with it, but I'd like it to be working 100%.

Chilly, out of interest what kind of fuel economy are you getting per L/100KM?

#16 ·
Mine does the exact same thing, displays the cruise set speed in mph.. too funny. Except once recently it didn't display the cruise speed at all, and my odometer didn't return after I turned the cruise off. The next day it was back to what passes for normal!!
We just got back from a 3000 km road trip to the US, driving at a highway cruise of 65 mph through Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts we go almost exactly 11 l/100km.

#17 · (Edited)
Mine does the exact same thing, displays the cruise set speed in mph.. too funny. Except once recently it didn't display the cruise speed at all, and my odometer didn't return after I turned the cruise off. The next day it was back to what passes for normal!!
We just got back from a 3000 km road trip to the US, driving at a highway cruise of 65 mph through Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts we got almost exactly 11 l/100km for the round trip. That was overall driving, including some secondary roads, a bit of stop and go in towns and small cities, and some easy highway cruising.
On the way down we got 10.4 l/100 km, which is better than the truck is rated for, the trip back must have been more uphill driving, we got 11.3 l/100 km.

It's interesting, I can get better economy on secondary roads at about 80-90 km/h than I can at 105 km/h on the highway. It's easy to get 10.8 l/100 out of the truck, which frankly impresses the hell out of me. Even if I put my foot in it once in a while it's still decent.

I've been running 89 octane mid-grade gas, not regular.

Having said that, we made a 200 km round trip on the highway today hauling a 3000 lb horse trailer, averaged about 23-24 l/100 km. I can't even complain about that, there's no shortage of power on hills and the truck handles it well.

Sean

#18 ·
10.8 is amazing. I get between 13-14, but I don't do a lot of highway and drive mostly back roads for short distances. I also don't run mid-grade though I probably should based on what you're getting.

I'm just happy to hear someone else is having the same problem as me with the EVIC. I will make sure to let you know if the dealership fixes it. Sounds like other than that, you are enjoying your truck just like I am and that's the main thing.

#21 ·
Finally got some results on this. I had a few other irritating issues with the dash, such as the odometer disappearing occasionally, no cruise control speed display at all, the temp gauge not working on one occasion, and finally one day where the 4wd, stability control, and tow/haul mode lights wouldn't show up. Enough was enough.

I'd been keeping a log of what it was doing, and the date etc. Most everything would work fine once the key was turned off for a minute or so, then restart the truck. I took it to my dealer, list in hand. The tech looked at it, and decided they should replace the instrument cluster since most of the problems were related to it.

Tonight I can set the key-off time delay to any of the 4 settings and have it keep the settings, the radio shuts off now after the doors have been opened (that was a radio update a few months ago), the only odd thing it does is still display the cruise set speed in MPH, not km/h. I think that's a software thing, and not one the engineers are too concerned about, it's funny actually. You can make it display in km/h by setting the evic to the digital speedometer display, but it reverts to MPH once the key is turned off.

Tomorrow's another day, but hopefully the instrument cluster replacement will have cured the intermittent gremlins in the dash.

Sean

#22 ·
Another update, so far things are working normally for the most part, although I did have the odometer disappear on one occasion.

Chatting with a friend with a 2014 Outdoorsman, turns out her truck also displays the cruise set speed in MPH with everything else set to kilometers. So, it seems to be a common thing, not one I'm worried about.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.