DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Pinion Nut Recall

10K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  s543906 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard anything from Dodge?

#4 ·
When I brought my Ram into the dealer to get some work done about 2 weeks ago, I asked why they didn't complete all the work counting the recall and they responded that the recall parts wouldn't be available until March or so.

I guess I'll find out as I have to bring my truck back then so they can HOPEFULLY complete the rest of the work they were supposed to get done in the first place...

#5 ·
Chrysler just sent some paper work to the dealer I work at 2 days ago informing us about this recall. They haven't released any parts yet but it should be soon.

Also if you own a 2002 or 2003 viper there is a recall coming out about air bags that go off on their own...so...get your vipers to the dealer lol

#7 ·
Recall

Found this:

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Power Train Recall 12V474000

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 12V474000
  • Report Date:
    Sep 28, 2012
  • Component:
    Power Train
  • Potential Units Affected:
  • Manufacturer:
    Chrysler Group Llc

Summary: Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2009-2010, ram 1500 and dodge dakota trucks, manufactured from july 1, 2009, through november 30, 2009, because a rear axle pinion nut may loosen due to a lack of adhesive.

Consequence: If the rear axle pinion nut loosens, the axle can lock up and cause a loss of vehicle control and/or a vehicle crash with little warning.

Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a pinion nut retainer, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during november 2012. Owners may contact chrysler at 1-800-247-9753.

Notes: Chrysler's recall campaign number is m34. Owners may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to www. Safercar. Gov.

#8 ·
I emailed my dealer yesterday. They replied today and said parts aren't available and they don't know when they will be. Chrysler releases recalls before stocking dealers with parts. I was told since my truck is still under the powertrain warranty if there was a failure it would be covered. As long as the accident doesn't kill me. lol

#12 ·
Exactly! I got nervous about driving the truck so last night I pulled mine into the garage and dropped the driveshaft to have a look. The nut was fairly tight but it didn't take much effort with a 1/2" breaker bar to loosen the nut. I marked the nut and pinion then I removed the nut and there was NO Loctite on it at all. I added my own Loctite then reinstalled the nut. At least in my mind I'm happy until the recall letter comes. I mainly just wanted to make sure the nut wasn't hanging by one thread ready to fall off.

#13 ·
I was also surprised to see that the nut wasn't a locking nut in any regard at all. I have set up rearends back in the day that had the end of the nut peened over so bad that it actually damaged the pinion threads installing it. There was no way those nuts were backing off.

#14 ·
My diff has failed two times. The second time it failed, they blamed the pinion bearing failing because the pinion nut itself was too tight after re-assembling. First time it was because it loosened up. Either way I hope they expand the range of the recall because I call outside the range that the NHTSA posted by like four or five months. I don't trust it now and that's not a good feeling to have when I'm up on mountain roads taking my boys fishing.

#15 ·
Pinion Failure

Driving allow at 40 MPH today pulling my 7 X 12 enclosed trailer. All of a sudden there was a big bang and the back wheels locked up and I slid to the shoulder. Truck was on the shoulder but the trailer was still on the road. I could not move the vehicle at all. Rear end of drive shaft was on the ground. My truck was not built in the recall dates. Mine was built in March 2010. Truck was towed to the dealer and I will wait to hear from them tomorrow.
:LOL:

#16 ·
Driving allow at 40 MPH today pulling my 7 X 12 enclosed trailer. All of a sudden there was a big bang and the back wheels locked up and I slid to the shoulder. Truck was on the shoulder but the trailer was still on the road. I could not move the vehicle at all. Rear end of drive shaft was on the ground. My truck was not built in the recall dates. Mine was built in March 2010. Truck was towed to the dealer and I will wait to hear from them tomorrow.
:LOL:
Your post has me worried even though I have visually inspected my pinion nut on a regular basis with no signs of backing off and also signs of lock tight usage on the threads. My build date is feb 19 2010 with 3:55 rear end built in dodge city. Care to share your particulars ?

#17 ·
My truck has 3:92 gears and the truck has 45,000 km. I have had no other problems with this truck except for the recall for ball joints. Went to the dealer today and expressed my concerns with the rear end locking up. I also told them Dodge should have contacted me re a recall on the pinion but they said my truck was outside of the recall dates. I told them Dodge should expand there recall!

#20 ·
That's great news to hear HDClassic. For others who are curious about their truck, send an email through the Owners section on the Ram Trucks website. They ask for your VIN and other information as well as your comments or concerns.

#22 ·
#26 · (Edited)
From what I've heard a Chevy silverado pinion nut fixes it. They are a pinch nut so it can't back off.

Do your own recall. Fix your own issue and be proactive. Don't wait on chrysler. If you believe it will happen anytime soon I'll sell you oceanfront property in Arizona.

And my truck is under the recall too. But I'll soon be installing 4.56 gears and locker so that is a moot issue.

#27 ·
I had to go into the dealer about 2 weeks ago for an oil change. I asked the service guys if they had the parts to do the Pinion Nut Recall service, yet. That was the 14th of June, and as of then, no, they didn't have it. I called last Friday, June 28th and he said the parts were now available through a distribution center in Boston, MA. He told me they can only get 1 repair kit per order (?) and they'll have mine in time to do the repair this coming Friday, July 5th. So it seems after a long wait, the parts are trickling in to dealers. I'll keep you posted on the rsults of the recall service.

#31 ·
Please keep us posted.....

I went to the dealer today and they say there is still no fix or parts available. (Petterson Dodge, Nampa Id.):doh:

#33 ·
An update:

Called today and both parts came in today. The book calls for five hours but the service adviser says he doesn't wanna rush the tech so he asked me to leave it all day. I am told that I am the first truck they are doing so they wanna take it slow and get it right the first time.

I am dropping it off Thursday. I will try to get pictures of what this repair kit is and details on what the tech has to do exactly if I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.