DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tinted tails

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ORT 
#1 ·
I am looking into tinting my tails and my third brake light and i was just wondering what is the best thing to use? I have heard alot about vht however i dont want to just use that bc it is one of the only brands i have heard of. any information is appreciated.

#3 ·
thanks matt. btw, good build. im definitely following it

#4 ·
VHT then a couple coats of clear then wetsand and buff. Here is a pic of mine.

#5 ·
Those are some seriously dark tails^^^^^^
Do you still get decent light output out of those?
Thinkin about the same thing but i dont want to get rear ended by some idiot at night :doh:

#6 ·
I have LED tails so the light output is still plenty. The cops don't feel the same way bc they gave me a fix it ticket about a month ago. So I had to fix and retint them but other than that, never an issue.

#7 ·
i just done the vht to mine and love it .it looks alot darker than it is stock light bulds and can still see them in the day time and no issues at all at night , i went with 3 coats of vht and 7 of clear , i wanted them babies to shine , and i covered the back up lights for the first coat , hit them lightly the second and normal on the third , hope this helps out

Attachments

#8 ·
Vht works well. There are a few other products (rustoleum makes one). VHT has worked well for so many people though, that's why everyone uses it. I think the rustoleum gives more of a flat look vs gloss like the vht. Although once you clear it it will look gloss no matter what...

cops around here don't mind this stuff too much, I haven't had issues at all yet, not sure how long mine have been tinted, maybe 6-12 months. Mine are pretty dark, maybe 4-5 coats of tint, but light still shines through although not as much as stock. They are still easy to see at night, during the day it's a little hard.

Running lights:

Brake lights:

And obviously I didn't tint the reverse light portion(wanted to be able to see what I was backing into lol):

#9 ·
Those look good. I do miss being able to see what is behind me when I back up :D

#10 ·
^lol yeah we did my buddy's camaro and then he couldn't see ANYTHING backing up at night, so we went this route on mine. I'm glad we did, plus I can still effectively use the bed cargo lights. And this might just be me convincing the wife it's a good mod but I think having the reverse lights taped off makes it look a little more legal lol. I also thought that with a white truck the reverse lights blended with the paint color well.

#11 ·
snrusnak that looks awesome on the white truck. im pretty sure im gonna pick up some vht nightshade and some clear coat bc i really want mine to shine too. thanks for all the input guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.