DODGE RAM FORUM banner

fog light fail

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Pyroboy5000 
#1 · (Edited)
fog light fail. battery drain need help!

my switch doesnt light up anymore, and i accidentally left them on. my truck barely started this morning. does anybody know where or how to get to a wire that i can use so i dont drain the battery if i leave them on?

can i use the dinger that tells me my lights are on when the truck is off?
i could use the ignition control, but i dont know how to find it. what about the positive wire that goes to the headlight switch? how do i find that wire?

does anybody know where to put the positive wire so i dont drain my battery by accident again?

#2 ·
are this just your run of the mill 35W fog lights? A little more info about what type of lights, whether you installed 'em or someone else, etc would be helpful

If they are you should be able to tap into a fuse in that is key switched. Just be mindful of the amperage rating of both the lights and what ever you're tapping in to, as you don't want to overload the circuit.... this will cause major issues.

Another option is to use one of the empty spots in your fuse box, and tap in there. They sell kits at most auto parts stores that allow you to take advantage of this. You will need a little bit of electrical knowledge to pull it off though.

good luck

Exco

#5 ·
are this just your run of the mill 35W fog lights? A little more info about what type of lights, whether you installed 'em or someone else, etc would be helpful

If they are you should be able to tap into a fuse in that is key switched. Just be mindful of the amperage rating of both the lights and what ever you're tapping in to, as you don't want to overload the circuit.... this will cause major issues.

Another option is to use one of the empty spots in your fuse box, and tap in there. They sell kits at most auto parts stores that allow you to take advantage of this. You will need a little bit of electrical knowledge to pull it off though.

good luck

Exco
thanks. i have tried to find a place in my fuze box that was keyed with the ignition, but i couldnt find any at all. they all lit up with my test light when the truck was off. i believe that my year truck has no power turn offs. that turn off the lights or 12v power outlet in the truck. most turn off power to the lights and the outlet, but my truck doesnt. so i think i might not be able to find a keyed place on the fuze box.

i can leave my headlights on when the truck is on, but i have the little dinger that tells me they are on. is there any way i can wire my fog lights so they ding when the lights are on and the truck is off?

#3 ·
using a relay will solve your problem. a typical bosch 5 pin normally open relay will work just fine.

Put a constant 12v to pin 30. preferably off the battery with a 15amp fuse.
On pin 85, tap into the positive lead going to your parking lights.
pin 87 will go to your fog lights.

now the tricky part is for pin 86. this is where you will use your switch. connect one side of the switch to ground. connect the other side of the switch to pin 86. This is called ground side switching.

Wiring a relay like that will only allow you to use your foglights when your parking lights and/or headlights are on.

#4 ·
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108540

this is the link to my install thread. they are spyder halo projectors. i am trying to find a better place for the positive, not rewiring the relay. im using its wiring harness it came with, which already has a relay. i really need a better place to put the wire so i dont drain the battery. it says to use the ignition power control, but i cant find that on my truck. im probably going to try to fix this when i go to my familys auto shop. but i dont want to hook into the parking lights. i preferr them being independent.

#6 ·
If you use the method I stated above you will have the ding when the lights are on and the truck is off.

Also, wiring it the way I suggested would be like how the fogs are wired from factory. They will only come on when your parking lights or headlights are on.

On the other hand, do you have a cigarette lighter that is only powered when the truck is on? That could be a good source for your ignition switched power.

#7 · (Edited)
hmmm. i do have a cigarett lighter, but i have no idea if its ignition powered. ill have to check that later. i might just be able to do that when i take the dash apart for my led replacements. you get rep points if it works.

*edit*
thanks a lot for the advice. it turns off when the truck is off. rep for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.