DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Another question about hid projector...sorry!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  RUMBLE BEE 1546 
#1 ·
Okay...I have decided (after so many readings on websites) on doing the HID Projector retrofit with the 35w 43000K bulbs on my low beams only, because from what I have been reading...if you install HID to the factory light housing, its really not set up for it right? Only HIDs work with projector lenses, right? I will do my fog lights later...my question is: Do I need to take my headlights apart (in the oven at 220 degrees and 10 minutes?) to retrofit the headlights with the HID Projector to the OEM light housing? If I read this correctly, I can do this or I can buy a set already done, but quite expensive! I really like the Morimmot set up...anyone share any info on Morimoto? I know this is a broken record...but I'm sure I am not alone when it comes to making a decision with this retrofit. Thanks, Kevin

#2 ·
HIDs can be installed in the OEM housing, you just have to drill a 1" hole in the round cover on the back of the housing to get the bulb to fit. Not a big deal at all. I did mine and beaded silicone around to make sure no moisture got thru.
Yes, if your going to retro-fit your housings with projectors, you will need to bake the headlights in order to get the lens off
Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors are the most commonly used projectors for our headlights
Someone will come along with some reviews for the projectors, I cant help on that as I have HIDs in OEM housings.

#3 ·
Not all after market headlights are that expensive. I would take this route, get spyder headlights (even off ebay) and put the HIDs in them since they come with a projector. Buying every single thing seperate is going to amp up your cost... cheers

#4 ·
Hey GOTBRAINS230, so you did take yours apart AND cut the 1" hole behind? Why would I have to seperate my headlight housing if I am going to cut a bigger hole in the back? Call me dense, but now that I have determined what I WHAT, now I need to learn HOW to do this!! How do you guys put the "quotes" in your replies? I swear I cannot fiqure this out!! ARRGGGG! Which setup do you have? Bulldawg, spyder huh? You use them? Do you mind if I ask what your set up is? Sounds like you both know what I'm talking about...thought this would be easy...but damn do these trucks look badass!

#6 ·
You mean a quote like ^^^^^^...just hit the quote button at the bottom of the box where someone commented...If you want to reply to multiple comments, you can hit the Quote + for as many comments as you want to reply to, but the last reply you have to hit the 'single' quote button...hope that makes sense, it does in my mind anyways :LOL:

anywho
On the OEM housings you just just have to take the headlight off, then remove the round cap on the back of the housing and drill a 1" hole in the center. Reason being, thats where the wires will run through.
THIS THREAD shows you exactly how to do it, its pretty much the same on the quad headlights. The quads are the ones with seperate low & high beam bulbs. Dual headlights use a single H13 bulb for the low & highs. You have the quad lights.

#5 ·
UPDATE: I am looking at the ProTuningLab in regard to the headlight projector HID set up...sort of high...but do they include EVERYTHING or am I going to be needing any specialty parts? Anyone have any business with them...if they supply everything and I can get the headlights already with the mods...might be the way to go...any ideas? Kevin

#7 ·
I just read the thread...I see now! Only have to drill out the hole to 1" for the wiring...but the headlamp needs to come apart to mount the projector assembly right? I cannot believe all the items needed to do a HID Projector upgrade...has anyone ever put together a partslist for doing this type of upgrade? Oh, completely gave up (for now at least) trying to do the damn quote thing!!! Oh, my wife thinks your profile pic is...ummmm...different. She says you look like you are about to eat something really bad...Kevin

#8 ·
Yea I was about to eat sushi :LOL: No my old iPhone would do all kinds of crazy crap and thats one of em haha
Yes the housing need to come apart in order to retrofit with projectors
But but adding HIDs in OEM housings do not, as you read
I cant say that I recall any thread about a parts list, but contact Jeremy over at Retro-Shot and let him know what you are trying to do, and he will respond to your email very quickly :smileup:
Actually if you send a PM to TheBlackHemi he can tell you exactly what you need, as he did the retrofit hisself

#10 ·
Jeremy 110%!

He's the one who supplied the parts for my first headlight setup, and now I'm going through round 2 with him. I have a few add PBS that were not available with my first set at the time. Retro Solutions and Jeremy are the only companies that I am a supporter of. Most other companies I get parts from are only because they have a good price on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.