DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Another failed set of HID's now what?

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  fishwater 
#1 ·
Just pulled my second set of failed HID's of my 2013 Ram. I had two sets of Retro Solutions on my 2010 & now two of some brand with a lifetime warranty that the seller no longer exists (he was recommended by many folks here when I bought my 2013) Anyway I'm done, I love the light output of a 6k bulb but I can't keep doing this. I drive close to a thousand miles a week & leave my lights on auto which I know is harder on the ballasts but I don't want to mess around. So now what? I hate the yellow dim stock headlights, even with the projectors on my Sport I need more light than the lame birthday candles that come stock. I tried a pair of those supposed white bulbs you get at advanced auto when I pulled the last set on my 2010, while better than stock they were still unimpressive, especially at $60.00 per set.

#10 ·
Forgive me for not knowing what's going on here.

I have the projection headlights and the hi"s just dont do it. Are these replacement bulbs for the projection style lights currently on my truck?

#12 ·
#16 ·
Very interesting, I still wonder about the lifespan in my situation though. I'm not sure I want to spend another $300 to "upgrade" my headlights yet again unless I was confident they would last. I do see the lack of ballast being a benefit though to the LED's

#18 ·
Unfortunately the more I research the more I see that HID's are my only viable option for light output. These headlights just suck, add the challenges with a canbus system & it only makes matters worse. I'm in the automotive aftermarket as a mfr rep, I deal with parts all day & everyday, I know there are numerous challenges but Dodge has only made it harder on these vehicles. I don't see the LED option happening with the dust covers in place, the bulbs need to have a way to cool the circuit which extends the length. The HID requires not only ballasts but more importantly for us capacitors which create additional connections, ie grounds subject to failure, add the auto system & canbus routed through the TIPM module it all adds up for possibility of failure or even worse damage to the TIPM. Ugh, hate to be so negative but I don't see a bulletproof system for these vehicles. Like originally stated I drive close to 1,000 miles a week, I call on every auto repair shop in Maine, NH & VT, the last thing I want or need is a headlight or fog light out. Besides the safety aspect there's the personal pride of my technicians asking me why one of my lights are out in my fancy 50k truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.