DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tires for future lift

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  express2012 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been looking around and can't really find a solid answer to my question. So winter is coming up and I need winter tires, I'm thinking about going with the BFG A/T KO. But my question is can I get 35" tires that will fit my stock rims and height (leveled) that will fit on an aftermarket rim later and work with my bds 6" suspension lift I'll be putting on in the spring /summer. I don't want the tires to stick out past my stock fender flares before and after I lift it.

#3 ·
Perfect! Ok I have a few more questions. I live in Canada and where I live (Fort McMurray, Alberta) everything is over priced. So I want to order them online. Can you guys recommend a good site that shipping to Canada wont be crazy. Also when I went to a few sites and I tried to search by size its the 275/55/20.... format not like a 35x12.5 whats the equivalent? thanks for all your help guys!

#4 ·
Lots of companies use either metric sizing or imperial sizing for their tires, just depends on the company and the tire. Switching between the two is fairly easy. Here's a post I wrote in another bread explaining the calculation.

Originally Posted by brandonjansen
Here's some figures/calculations for a 295/65/20.

The tread width is 295mm (11 5/8")
The aspect ratio (ratio of sidewall to width) is 0.65 or 65%
To find the total height of the tire you would calculate 295x0.65x2(for both sidewalls within the diameter). You will then have the height of the tire in mm. Divide that number by 25.4 (1" = 25.4mm) and you will have the height of the tire in inches. Then simply add the diameter of the rim for the total height of the tire.
So your calculation would look like this ((295x0.65x2)/25.4)+20=35 1/8" So your total tire height will be 35 1/8" tall by 11 5/8" wide.

With the tires that are measured in imperial that work is simply done for you already. Keep in mind, with any tire you are looking at it's a good idea to check out the manufacturers website to see what the actual size of the tire is when mounted. For example: The 35x12.5 Toyo MT's on my 1500 were actually 34.5" tall when mounted and the overall width was 13.4".

As far as ordering the tires go, talk to the guys at Bully's Performance (sales@bullysperformance.com). Let them know what you want and that you're a forum member and they'll send you a quote with the forum discount. I ordered my wheels and tires from them for my last truck and they had the best pricing by far. Plus they're great to deal with, top notch customer service.

#5 ·
Ok so using the info I just got I looked up the sizes the BFG A/T comes in and the 2 sizes that are close to what i'm looking for are LT305/55R20 and LT325/60R20. I think 305/55R20 is the size id go for. So I went on the manufactures website. There it says that Section Width on Measuring Rim Width (mm on in) 316mm on 9.5". So i'm assuming that for 305/55r20 mounted on a 9.5" rim will actually be 316mm (12.44") Witch is what I'm looking for but using the calculation in the previous post my tire height would only be 33.2 witch is pretty much what the factory tire height is correct? But there is also the LT325/60R20 but it is 13" wide. will that still work for me using a 1/4" spacer?

#6 ·
I agree that a 305/55/20 is too small. Especially once you lift.... But you aren't going to fit the 325/60/20's on the stock rims with 1/4" spacers. They're simply too wide. You could either go with a 285/65/20 which is narrower but at least it's 34.5" tall. The problem is it will look narrow once you lift.

I'd recommend either going with a different tire that you can get in a proper size or wait until you can buy rims and then get the 325/65/20's.

#7 · (Edited)
ya the 325/60/20 will still work with the 1/4" spacer. my buddy has them on his ram with stock wheels. If you plan to keep these tires after your lift I would definitely get something bigger than the 305/55 as they'll look pretty small with a 6".

#8 ·
Thats what I Figured. It's not that i'm set on getting the BFGs I was just reading on the forums about a/t tires and the BFGs seemed to be popular. What would you recommend? The winters here are pretty harsh weeks at constant -30 to -35 tempretures and last year we got a lot of snow. I know that an a/t tire wont be as good as a winter tire though.

#9 ·
For AT tires I really like the Toyo AT2's. They look great and from what I've read guys are really happy with them. That's what I plan on putting on my truck until I lift it. Nitto Terra Grapplers are also very popular for a lot of guys. Very comparable to the Toyo's, they just look a bit different.

#10 ·
Ok so I looked at the Toyo Open country AT2s and they look like a pretty good tire. On Toyos website it says they come in 35X12.5R20 actual diameter is 34.5 and width is 12.5. So those tires should fit my truck with 1/4" spacer? and they would still look good on a 20" -12 offset rim later with a 6" lift?

#12 ·
i just put 295/65/20 nitto grapplers on 20x9 chrome clad stock wheels i have level it clears height fine but with 1/4" spacers it rubs the upper control arm only at full lock a spacer i recommend is a 10mm hub and wheel centric spacer custom made from motorsport tech $180.00 for all four plus shipping then you dont have to worry about wheel or spacer not being centered

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.