DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cargo Management (What do you guys use?)

4K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Asur 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I just bought a Roll X cover for my truck yesterday and it should be installed in a couple of days. I'll post up some pics when I get it installed. I'm wondering what you guys use to keep the stuff in your bed from rolling around? I've been looking at a HitchMate Stabilizer bar with the optional Stabiload support. My thought was to use the bar at the back of the bed (near the tailgate) and use the Stabiload support to hold a couple of milk crates or something to one side to put smaller items in. Then use the other side for larger items like grocery bags or whatever. your thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I was just looking in to this today. I was going to go to Home Depot to get a synthetic 2x6 to cut down to fit in the rear bed slots. Then I realized how little room there would be between the tailgate and the board. I seem to remember the slot closer to the front on my 2000, I scrapped the idea. This has me interested though.

#3 ·
I have the AMP bed extender in my Ram and it's extremely versatile. I like it because I can drop my tailgate for things that are just that little bit too long for the bed and no have to worry about it sliding out when I put the pedal down. When it's inside the tailgate it is a full floor-to-lid cage to keep stuff from sliding into my nitrous bottle.

#5 ·
I am interested in this topic as well.

Currently, I have a huge Rubbermaid tub with lid that I keep shoved up against the back of the cab. I keep spare gallons of windshield washer fluid, blanket, emergency kit, etc in there so it is weighted enough to not shift more than a few inches. It works, however I would love something that would allow room for groceries or miscellaneous stuffs, big and small.

As it is, the only downside of my tub is that there is only a half inch clearance between the top of the lid and bottom of my tonneau cover. It fits, but it is a pain to access without sliding it to the tailgate as the tub is slightly wider than the panels on my tonneau so it makes it difficult (but not entirely impossible) to remove the lid and get something out with the tub up against the cab.

A better option would be highly entertained! Subscribed!

EDIT:
I have considered the companion carry all sold by Fold-A-Cover (my tonneau is their G4 Elite) but they want a crap load of money for something that, to me, doesn't do enough to earn such a high price tag.

#7 ·
Okay somebody has to say it........

RAMBOXES!! Hahahahaha........

I'm pretty sure it's been said before, but the Ramboxes are a great thing to have.

My brother is in the same boat as you folks with is 2013 Ram, and he did admit that he regrets not getting the Ramboxes.

I suggested that he use a series of 2x4's to block off the section of his bed, and then add a vertical piece to the 2x4's as well to act as a smaller compartment.

I have also suggested that he plastidip the whole thing to help make it look a little less ghetto.

Just a suggestion.

#9 ·
As much as I can appreciate the Ramboxes and their function, they were not something I was willing to have on my truck. I preferred, and more importantly needed, a full size bed - side to side. The Ramboxes undeniably reduce the surface area of the bed. Not practical for everyone.

I posted on this thread, I assume for the same reason as the OP and others, for ideas and methods to utilize the bed area for storage in our trucks that do not have the Ramboxes. I chose not to have those on my truck.

I now am reaching out for suggestions and ideas that will work for my truck. Your suggestion of Ramboxes is laughable for the mere fact that those cannot be added to my truck after the fact. And I am not one to regret choices I have made, and I most certainly do not regret omitting those from my truck purchase.

#11 · (Edited)
The rambox is a neat idea for sure. I didn't take the rambox because I wanted the whole bed and I thought I can keep things in the back if I had to. But I'm also looking for something that can be removed pretty quickly and easily when I do need the full bed. What's your guys take on the factory bed organizer? Can It work with a cover like the roll x?

#21 ·
Completely agree. There are more accessories available for Rambox trucks than there are for non-Rambox trucks. They need to expand their selection for the rest of us.

Stored in the hidden compartments of the back seat I have bungee cords, ratchet tie downs, and a full size tarp. I always tie down anything in the bed of the truck.
Same here.. but what I am after is something not too difficult to remove (like a tonneau) in a minute or two. I need something to compartmentalize my bed, with the tonneau in place and closed (I have bungee cords and tie-downs for larger items and loads) and that is easy to place and remove.

This is what I use, it can be starched the length of the box or collapsed the width of it. Light weight and easy to install. Plus I have a super thick rubber mat in the bottom of the bed, nothing moves on this thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cargo-Load-...305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a5bcac21

I will be looking into this item (or maybe multiples, lol). Thanks for the link! :smileup:

The Rambox comment was meant to be funny, clearly it can't be added after the fact, sorry if you took it the wrong way.
I knew your intention was humor, but I wasn't looking for humorous or outlandish suggestions. This has become a serious issue for me personally and I didn't appreciate being told to do something that I obviously cannot.

No harm, no foul though. It's all good.

#13 ·
Stored in the hidden compartments of the back seat I have bungee cords, ratchet tie downs, and a full size tarp. I always tie down anything in the bed of the truck.

#15 ·
I did some searching this morning. Most of the systems out there require some kind of rail system to be mounted on the inside of the bed and are $200+. I am starting to think the OPs system is the best (And most cost effective at $70 shipped with the add on bar) after market choice for those of us who don't haul commercial stuff.

As for the Ramboxes, they don't hold the larger stuff and they can't be added to an existing truck.

#20 ·
I was surprised to see that there aren't many options on this subject. I saw one product a couple of days ago that wold be neat if it looked like it was better quality. It was a bed extender basically, constructed out of aluminum bars but the arms that go around the tailgate were adjustable in and out and the whole thing could mount anywhere. Hard to explain and of course I can't find it now.

I wouldn't use plasti dip for wood IMO, unless you wanted to remove it again at some point. It's use a matte finish paint or a semi gloss if you wanted to keep it looking like the box liner.

#22 ·
Well just figured I'd give you guys an update. After doing some research I'm going with the Hitchmate cargo bar. But I'm going to rig up my own little system to organize everything. Once I get everything all figured put I'll post some pics. Should also get my cover today, can't wait.

#24 ·
Damn it, now you have all got me thinking. I hadn't really given this topic much consideration until I took the time to read through it.

I've got a hard tonneau with a bed rug, so for the most part stuff is pretty stable in the back. I've also got several bungie cords stretched out if I truly need to secure something, though to be honest, I rarely put anything back there.

I suppose that if I had some way of ensuring that what ever I put back there wouldn't roll to the front, then I'd be more likely to do so.

I frequently describe my truck as a huge, funny looking car, as with the tonneau cover my bed is more like a trunk than it is a bed.

food for thought.

Exco

#25 ·
i was thinking about this today on the drive home...
next chance i get i'm gonna grab some 2x12s and notch them to receive each other...
if i'm thinking it out right it can be "compartment adjustable" as well and shouldn't take any more than a few seconds to dismantle...if anything large needs to be put in the bed they pull apart and are easily storable. i'm thinking 2 +/-5 footers for across the bed and maybe 3 or 4 foot for lengthwise

#29 ·
For those of you without the Ram Boxes (I agree they are great, but not for everyone as there is a sacrifice of cargo area) you might want to check out the swing boxes. I have two of them that I used in my last truck and just ordered the new brackets to install in my 2014 when it *finally* arrives. they don't take up much room, fit BELOW your tonneau cover and lift right out if you need the room for some large cargo.

www.swingcase.us

I also have a bar similar to the one already spoken about. I find the bar very handy as it is easily moved about and keeps things from sliding around and keeping them back by the tailgate for easy access. Pretty inexpensive solution that is very effective for the $$.

Reactions: Asur
#35 ·
Boy was I wrong. I finally got around to using this. What a waste of money and time. Guess where the frikking ratchet is? Yup. Right in the middle of the bar. Guess where the middle of the bar is when installed in the bed? Yup again. Right in the middle of the bed! What idiot designed this? Who wants to get in their bed every time they need to secure something? Don't waste your money on this crap.

#39 ·
Bed dividers on the cheap?

I've not tried this yet, but I see that my factory bed liner has notched flats located over each wheel well, plus side slots located fore and aft of the wells. I assume the purpose is to allow insertion of 2x4's which could divide the bed into 3 compartments? Probably wouldn't keep something heavy from moving, but might be handy anyway, especially if you have a bed topper like I do and don't want to climb in and get stuff that's slid forward. ummm,....think there's some 2bys in the garage already.

#40 ·
I've not tried this yet, but I see that my factory bed liner has notched flats located over each wheel well, plus side slots located fore and aft of the wells. I assume the purpose is to allow insertion of 2x4's which could divide the bed into 3 compartments? Probably wouldn't keep something heavy from moving, but might be handy anyway, especially if you have a bed topper like I do and don't want to climb in and get stuff that's slid forward. ummm,....think there's some 2bys in the garage already.
That's exactly what they are for :smileup:.. they are usually right in part of the truck bed I think. My bud with his GMC uses them to put 2x4s and then some cement blocks for winter weight in the snow.

#44 ·
Like I said earlier, this is what I use, it can be starched the length of the box or collapsed the width of it. Light weight and easy to install but its industrial, not home user type so it can support 100lb of weight sitting on it, all my guys have one for moving stuff around, with that I have a super thick rubber mat in the bottom of the bed, nothing moves on this thing. So together paired nothing moves, my tool cases stay between the tailgate and the bar, most are on wheels, and I do like Canadian hemi, I got a ratcheting strap the goes on top of everything from the 2 hooks on each side of the bed. And being that it can expand the length of the bed, it way more versatile than other cargo bars. Yes you must go into your bed to install/adjust it etc, but what system does not need this, the ram box you still need to go in and adjust it, the bed extenders you can only use for X size stuff. At the end If I did not have this bar I would for sure have the DeeZee rubber mat, You can put stuff at the tail gate with that and it wont move unless you play super brake with the truck, the 2 x 4 are useful for specific applications, so is the bar, so is the mat, so are straps, a combo of all make for great cargo handling. I don't think there are any perfect systems apart for maybe a remote control with variable height hydraulic bed separator. Don't think they make one yet lol.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/e6/e9/0169_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cargo-Load-L...item43a5bcac21

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.