DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help me, please!!!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Gonzo1968 
#1 ·
:SHOCKED:I have spoke with a couple of exhaust shops and they actually talked me out of buying headers. They explained that the end result is not worth the money spent. They went on to further explain that because of Dodge's engine management system,, I would not be able to fully reap the rewards of a full header/exhaust system like you would with a Chevy or Ford.
I have been reading forums for months from you guys and I was ready to buy a set of LT's and now I am more confused than before.
I do not plan any crazy mods - supercharger,cams,heads. My final mods will be a TC and a VB. Can anyone tell me will it be worth the 2K to get a true dual system?

#3 ·
So by their logic, neither Ford or GM have any type of Engine Management System [ECU, PCM], right?

#6 ·
They do, its just easier to extract the power, I guess. It just seemed strange that 2 exhaust shops would talked me out of a sale.
I don't know what "... easier to extract the power" means....

:4-dontknow:

So the install & purchase was thru them but they both whistled the same tune, correct?

Yes, that is strange.

Well, I'm sure many here have gone against their beliefs [recommendations] and will prove them wrong and tell you otherwise.

I don't know on these trucks as I've yet to dabble in that area, but I do know LT headers are anything like they claim. I've used them on many vehicles with [very] noticeable improvements.

I'm hoping more will chime in here and put your mind at ease.... and prove both shops you've visited wrong.

#5 ·
I can't see that being correct, the point of headers is to allow a better flow of exhaust system. Same as a muffler or high flow cats. The factory headers are designed to keep the exhaust system quiet while still making good power. Where performance headers are straight hp and tq gains. Of course headers will work better with a high flow muffler and cats.

#8 ·
The only thing I can think they mean is the tuning capabilities to take advantage of the added flow. That was true for the '12s+ up until about a year ago, there are programmers available now that can do exactly what they are saying can't be done.

Even untuned a set of LTs will give you better power across the rpm band, and tuned you can see in the range of 14-25hp over untuned gains. Having run them on my last 2 trucks I can tell you they make a difference.

#9 ·
wow..that's really surprising to hear from any exhaust shop...you'd think they'd want to sell you any exhaust system like snake oil..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.