DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help with wiring an LED light please

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tiny718 
#1 ·
I ended up getting this bright LED light. It's actually an interior dome light, like the ones used in police vehicles. I would like to use this light to illuminate my bed at night.

Anyways it has a on and off switch on it with 2 wires, positive and negative. What I would like to do is wire it to the 4 or 7 prong trailer light plug-ins.

Basically, I would like to use a 4 prong trailer plug, figure out what colors on the 4 prong wiring I would splice the positive and negative wires to, plug it in to the 4 prong when I want to use the light, then unplug it from the 4 prong when not in use.

So, anyone think this is possible?
Maybe to powerful for the 4 prong?

Thanks everyone.

#3 ·
Ok so 7 prong may be the way to go.

I have it wired to a battery jump pack now, works amazing to light up the bed at night. Problem is the jump pack isn't the biggest and doesn't hold power to long.

Anyone know if this is possible with the 7 prong?

#4 ·
Yes it should be possible with the 7 pin. Google it to get the pin outs. There will be one 12v and one ground. These are intended to provide aux power to the trailer for various reasons. Battery charger for break away brakes, interior lights in a toy hauler, etc.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.