DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Trailer Brake Control

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  bartlett 
#1 ·
I need to add a trailer brake control on my '13 Hemi Sport. Dealer quoted me a price of $460.

Has anyone installed one of these things? Seems like all of the wiring would be already installed at the factory.

Any recommendations on where to get the aftermarket part?

Thanks

#2 ·
Price should be $200-$250 for the part. Put the part number 82213474 in a Google search and it will show you links to lots of vendors for the controller. The install is not very difficult. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QwNAbd_R0Y

You will have to have a dealer flash code XHC. Prices for that are all over the scale...from free to $125.

#3 ·
I installed mine. It was about $250. Getting some of the bolts into the bracket under the dash was a PIA! But expect to have the dealer update your EVIC because it will not show up until they update it. I did this within the first week of owning my truck and took it back and told them it wasnt reading...played stupid and they updated the EVIC for free.

#27 ·
Same here I installed the Prodigy - there is a factory plug under the dash - make sure you get the correct cable connector for the Ram - It was a bit of a contortion for me (71 yrs old) but had it done in around 20 minutes - works great

#8 ·
I'm thinking this will be my next mod (can't talk myself into an exhaust). Do you guys prefer the factory Mopar trailer brake to aftermarket units?

#9 ·
It's been several years but I used to own a small trailer sales outfit. We installed a lot of controllers (this was before our trucks started coming with factory units). Just about all of the aftermarket work pretty good. You can easily install one for under $100, or you can exceed $200.

However, the Mopar unit blows them all away. It's nice to have the actual control box hidden away (no knee banging) and having the power setting and slider control integrated into the front panel. Unlike other units where you have to usually lean over to look at the Mopar shows it's power output directly on the EVIC screen. It's easy using the uConnect screen to select two levels of pure electric (light or heavy) or two levels of electric over hydraulic brake systems.

Aftermarket units get their input signal directly from a connection to the brake light system (not necessarily the actual light wire but at least part of it). That means the controller is either ON or OFF when it receives a full dose of 12-14vdc power. The controllers do a good job of sending progressive voltage to the brakes but they depend a lot on "G" forces to modulate the power or override the normal progressive output.

The Mopar unit uses the actual movement of the brake pedal to determine the amount of energy (up to the max for the current selection on the +/- buttons). Push harder on the pedal and you'll see the "slider" display on the EVIC move back and forth accordingly. If you panic stop then full power is instantly sent to the brakes (faster than the g-force controllers can act).

It is a few extra bucks over a quality aftermarket unit but I'm sure you will be pleased with the performance of the Mopar unit. Just watch the posted video showing the 2-screw installation because trying to put that third screw in requires hands and arms the size of a four year old.

Reactions: Thunderhorse
#11 ·
The electrical system starting on 2013 Rams is totally different from previous years. you had better know what you are doing, because the electronics are very sensitive and it really isn't worth trying to save $100.00 when you inadvertently destroy the electronics. The dealer has to flash any new controller install anyways.

#14 ·
I bought the Mopar part off eBay for $182, shipping included. It came from a dealer in NH. I'll install the control myself and take the truck in to get it programmed.
That's about what I paid for mine. It's a fairly straight forward install. All the connections were easily identifiable and are pretty much plug and play (minus the flash by the dealership). :smiley_thumbs_up:

#18 ·
I installed oem kit last year and it's simple to do. The most difficult part is attaching the module. Two screws and a tyrap is the route I took. I've heard of people just using Velcro which would make it even more easy. It would be hard to screw up the electronics because it's all modular meaning you don't tap any wires. Once installed the controls work without flashing but won't show up in the EVIC. I waited until I installed the oem backup camera to get both flashed at same time.

#26 ·
I already had a prodigy controller so I installed in my truck. I never know its there the way I mounted it. Definitely doesn't hit my leg. I would say if installing an aftermarket just make sure you check closely before mounting. Since I had it already I paid like $20 for a hrness

#29 ·
How to install it on the easy ! ...

over size the mount holes with a drill ... run zip ties through the holes !

5 min job ...

I brought my truck in and said I Bought this truck from you and the controller isnt working... They returned it to me and said the controller was never flashed so they did it and said have a great day ! .. No charge ! ... :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.