DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2000 RPM Vibration

75K views 192 replies 71 participants last post by  rigger1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been researching a slight but annoying vibration that I get at 2000 RPM. It happens in any mode (ECO, Tow/Haul, etc.) and at any speed but always at 2000 RPM. I can feel it in the fuel pedal and the steering wheel. Is does not do it when in park or neutral...only while in motion. I mainly notice it when accelerating but it will vibrate constantly at around 60 MPH when the RPM stays steady at 2000 RPM. At this point, I can take my foot off the pedal and still feel the growl in the steering wheel. Once it shifts and the tach drops below 2000RPM, the vibration is gone.

I really think it is the torque converter but I have been reading a lot about the 5.7 Hemi having fierce torsional vibrations. I mentioned it to my service guy at the dealership and he was quick to blame the MDS system but I can almost bet that has nothing to do with this vibration.

Just wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar vibration at 2000 RPM. Any other ideas on what may cause this? I'm going to take it in soon but I want to be armed with some info first!

Here is a post I found about harmonic/torsional vibrations...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=1253642&postcount=11

I can believe it being a harmonic vibration but wouldn't it do it even in park or neutral?

See less See more
#39 ·
I have a 2013 Ram Tradesman Express 5.7 Hemi V8. I believe I am struggling with the same issue right around 2000 RPM. The truck almost sounds like I have applied a Jake Brake. I either have to drop to a lower gear or really press the gas to pull out of it. I figured it was the MDS-ECO but I haven't noticed it in other Ford or Chevy trucks I've driven with the same type of fuel economy systems.

#40 ·
It may be your MDS, because the exhaust note changes when that comes on. If you apply just a tiny bit more gas does it stop?

Also, Ford has cylinder deactivation?

#42 ·
I think the original poster nailed it; torsional vibration. I also think that MDS vibration is confusing the issue here. Here's my experience with my Ram, a 2013 5.7L 6spd with 600 miles on it.

I have a vibration from around 1800-2050. I have to "step on it" to maybe 25-30% throttle to get the RPMs up there in both first and second gear on level ground, but feel this vibration in both gears. Therefore, it's less likely to be driveshaft; the vibration feels the same in 1st of 2nd gear at those RPMs. I feel this vibration in the pedal mostly, barely in the steering wheel, and not at all in my seat. I doubt passengers would even notice it, but then I've never been a passenger yet. :gy:

The MDS also causes vibration for me. I know it is MDS because I hear the exhaust note start to sound "rough" to me, less "smooth" then the nice V8 sound, and this sound change only happens if I'm only trying to maintain speed, not accelerate. As soon as I accelerate even moderately, the rough sound goes away, and the V8 smooth sound comes back right away. The MDS also causes minor vibration that I can feel through the pedal, but it is less consistent and less noticeable than the 2000 RPM vibration.

I wonder if the weight placed somewhere on the exhaust would take care of this like the original post links to. I just may try it if it starts to bother me. I also wonder if some Hemis really don't have this or some owners just don't notice it; my guess is the former since we had members go looking for it and didn't feel it, unless they have numb feet!

#44 ·
vibration

Yes, I can differentiate between the normal MDS vibration vs the 2000 RPM vibration. They are distinctly different.
I get the same vibration at 2000 rpms. I have the 3.92 and my rpms spend a lot of time at 2000 rpm. from a start I speed past 2000 to 2300 and when it shifts the rpms hang in at 2000 and there is a vibration. does same with all gears. also, the exhaust is not smooth when I am going 25 mph in 6th gear. I didn't realize the MDS would kick in so slow of a speed. when it does this I give it throttle and it kicks MDS out and exhaust is smooth.
I am also from S.W. PA and could use some help with this matter. my ram has 1000 miles on it and has been doing this since I got it.
I called the dealer and he told me that they had a ram in last week that did the same and they determined it was the characteristic of the truck. I am not buying it. I want it fixed.

#45 ·
I can believe it being a harmonic vibration but wouldn't it do it even in park or neutral?
Yes that is strange it doesn't happen when in neutral at 2000 RPM if it is torsional vibration from the engine; that's how mine is too. Maybe it's because there's no load and the combustion force is not enough. If this is the case, there should be no vibration when holding in a gear, say first or second at 2000 rpm, level ground, just maintaining speed. This should tell us if it's engine or drive train, right? I will try when I get a chance and report back.

#46 · (Edited)
In park & neutral, the torque converter clutch is not engaged. That's why there isn't the 2000 RPM vibration in those modes. There is only a few forum members reporting this 2000 rpm vibration. If it was engine torsional vibration, I'd expect all of the Hemi Rams would have the vibration.

Any dealership that states the 2000 rpm vibration is a characteristic of these trucks needs to be informed that it is a characteristic of a defective torque converter. You need to convince your dealership service rep to call it into the Ram factory support center. Hopefully, with enough calls Ram will start authorizing repairs. For those members in Canada, it's my understanding that Ram Canada has in the past authorized torque converter and flex plate warranty replacements on the 2013s. There isn't a TSB on this in Canada, basically the dealership needs to identify the problems as a defective torque converter, and follow their normal warranty authorization procedure. I do not know if anything changed on this in Canada recently, as in the US Ram has acknowledged the 2,000 rpm vibration issue but has not authorized any repairs, nor will they confirm the root cause of the vibration. However, the TC replacements in Canada have resolved the vibration.

I don't work for Chrysler, but the information above is what I have gathered over the past several months. If anyone on the forum has any information on Ram's status as to authorizing repairs, issuing a TSB, etc.. please lets us know. Thanks.

#47 ·
2000 RPM vibration possible fix

I had my truck in to get the brakes checked yesterday. They flashed the PCM at the same time. It changed the way the truck drives with crisper shifts and shifting sooner (cruising at 25 mph at well under 1000 rpm never happened before) and 2000 RPM vibration is GONE. There is none there whatsoever. Hopefully it stays gone. How is this possible? For reference, I have a 6 spd manufactured in June 2013.

#48 ·
I had my truck in to get the brakes checked yesterday. They flashed the PCM at the same time. It changed the way the truck drives with crisper shifts and shifting sooner (cruising at 25 mph at well under 1000 rpm never happened before) and 2000 RPM vibration is GONE. There is none there whatsoever. Hopefully it stays gone. How is this possible? For reference, I have a 6 spd manufactured in June 2013.
That's great to hear your truck's vibration is gone. Hopefully, it stays that way for you. I have the vibration (since I took delivery) at 2000 RPM's, but my truck is an 8 speed, manufactured in May 2013. I haven't contacted my dealership yet, but I will soon just so they'll have record of the issue in my file.

#50 ·
I had my girls car today, my 2014 ram was home.so I went to a dodge dealer. I was checking out the ram 1500 on the lot and the salesman came out and I played dumb like I still had my ecoboost f150. so we went for a drive for about 20 minutes, I drove and there was NO 2000 rpm vibration. i guess this truck has no character!!! also i said to salesman that i read where some rams have a 2000 rpm vibration and he said he has heard of it and they called Chrysler and Chrysler told the dealer that it was normal.

#51 ·
My 2013 ram 1500 started doing this a few months ago, as a technician of 25 years I'd say it feels like a chattering torque converter clutch, and is definitely not normal and was definitely not there since new, it is very light but as it gets worse I will be taking it in to have it dealt with. FYI, I have 10,000km on my truck.

#56 ·
Interesting... That TSB is posted in this forum in another thread but doesn't mention the 2000 rpm vibration fix. However it does mention erasing/reprogramming the PCM. My truck's vibration started about a month after delivery. The dealership re-initialized the the truck's computers to the same state as when it left the factory for it to relearn everything. When I picked it up it still had the vibration.

#59 ·
PCM Flash didn't work

Hi All,

I brought my truck in last Monday to the dealership and they did an update to the PCM. This did not resolve my vibration at 2000 RPMs. I also notified them about this forum and thread so they know it's not just me. They said they will be contacting Chrysler about this issue. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Lloyd

#62 ·
Hi All,

I brought my truck in last Monday to the dealership and they did an update to the PCM. This did not resolve my vibration at 2000 RPMs. I also notified them about this forum and thread so they know it's not just me. They said they will be contacting Chrysler about this issue. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Lloyd
Lloyd,

My dealership contacted Ram tech support a few weeks ago and was told that Ram is aware of the 2,000 RPM problem affecting many 2013's, but a fix was not available at that time. Hopefully your dealership will get an indication of when Ram expects to start authorizing repairs. I first reported this problem to my dealership last August and there is no reason Ram hasn't started authorizing repairs by now.

Tom

#67 ·
I did a Google search for "Ram 2000 RPM vibration" and came up with quite a few results. So, I'm guessing this issue has been going on for some time.

Here's a interesting post from LU229 on dodgeforum. com

"I`ve mentioned many times what the vibes are, in several different threads thru out the dodge/chrysler forums. They are torsional harmonic vibrations coming from the hemi engine. The vibes transmit throughout the cab & chassis, gas pedal and seats, floors, (& some steering wheels) at certain rpm`s. (mine was really bad around 2,100 rpm) I`ve made a couple large metal/rubber ballast`s for mine, installed them to each side of the engine block, 2 ballast`s on the "Y" pipe on the exhaust, all my homemade ballast`s kill the vibes entirely. I even installed a small exhaust ballast to my gas pedal to soak up any vibes that were still lerking. I even bought/installed a fluid harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. All my vibrations are gone. The engine is sooooo much smoother today. These vehicles today are made lighter, thinner materials, then they stuff a large horsepower engines in them, vibrations have to go somewhere to die, then end result, the vibes have no place to go but into the chassis & cab. You have to kill it before it reach`s the chassis`s & cabs. Has anyone ever noticed that nobody ever complains about vibrations with the 4.7...??? My brother has the same truck, but has the 4.7 engine, FAR smoother running than my 5.7 hemi. His truck has NO vibes at all. Another friend of mine has a 4.7, his is as smooth as my brothers truck too.

Ther are small rubber ballasts available thru chrysler to install on your exhaust.
You`ll have to look for them thru the 2005 hemi truck service bulliten.
They`re hard to find, but if i find the place where to buy them today, i`ll post the link in here."

#70 ·
I am taking mine in Monday to have my dealer look at mine. The service manager hadn't heard of it yet but they are a very small dealership. I told him I had done a fair amount of research and it seems to point to possible torque converter issues.

With mine (as a couple other noted) it is more pronounced for me when the truck gets warmed up. You can still feel it when cold but not near as much as when the fluid is warmed up. It also is more pronounced when on an incline at that rpm. It almost feels like a very high frequency clutch chatter to me on my foot when I am in the 2000rpm range.

I hope I don't get a long run around and I will make sure they call it in if they can't replace it yet. Hopefully others here are doing the same. They have to hear from everybody if we want to get a fix going.

Thanks guys!
-Kuz

#71 · (Edited)
mine is the same. up an incline and it is really pronounced. I don't feel it as bad when i first start up in the morning. also happens in any gear. I have tried the ERS, I have manually shifted each gear, I have turned tow/haul mode on, is still there. when cruising in 8th at 73mph the vibration is there. but not as pronounced cause of less torque. what gears does everyone have? I have 3.92 with LSD and 8 speed.

#72 ·
8 speed transmission with 3.55 LSD gears

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.