DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2000 RPM Vibration

75K views 192 replies 71 participants last post by  rigger1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been researching a slight but annoying vibration that I get at 2000 RPM. It happens in any mode (ECO, Tow/Haul, etc.) and at any speed but always at 2000 RPM. I can feel it in the fuel pedal and the steering wheel. Is does not do it when in park or neutral...only while in motion. I mainly notice it when accelerating but it will vibrate constantly at around 60 MPH when the RPM stays steady at 2000 RPM. At this point, I can take my foot off the pedal and still feel the growl in the steering wheel. Once it shifts and the tach drops below 2000RPM, the vibration is gone.

I really think it is the torque converter but I have been reading a lot about the 5.7 Hemi having fierce torsional vibrations. I mentioned it to my service guy at the dealership and he was quick to blame the MDS system but I can almost bet that has nothing to do with this vibration.

Just wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar vibration at 2000 RPM. Any other ideas on what may cause this? I'm going to take it in soon but I want to be armed with some info first!

Here is a post I found about harmonic/torsional vibrations...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=1253642&postcount=11

I can believe it being a harmonic vibration but wouldn't it do it even in park or neutral?

See less See more
#3 ·
I've noticed a slight/inconsistent vibration. I notice it at low RPM and high gear. At times I suspect it's just an exhaust vibration. Other times I'd say it's tire related. Sometimes it improves when I down shift. 75% of the time I don't notice it at all. I have 6000 miles on my 2013. 6 speed w/ 3.92 gears.
I have the Crew + 6.5 box. At one point I wondered if it was a slight imbalance of the long drive shaft.
I have not taken it in yet...waiting to see if other issues pop up. So far this is it.

#7 ·
I had my Ram in to the dealership several times for the same 2,000 RPM vibration issue. This week they finally contacted Ram tech support. Ram tech support indicated it's a known problem on some 2013 Rams, and a fix has not yet been documented. As the dealership called it in on my VIN, they said Ram will specifically notify them when a fix is available. Note this is for the USA. It's my understanding (from another forum member) that in Canada, some torque converters had been replaced to fix this same 2,000 RPM vibration problem. Dealership told me that Chrysler companies in Canada and US operate independently of each other. So while a fix may be available in one country, it may not be available yet in the other!

On an earlier service visit the service tech test drove a new ram from the lot and noted it vibrated the same way, so they figured "they all do it"! Of course, I was thinking they now have 2 trucks to repair!

Anyway, I'd recommend anyone having this problem should get it in for service and have the dealership contact Ram tech support to have it documented.

#8 ·
Sounds good...thanks for the info! If yours is like mine, it's not a horrible vibration but 2000 RPM is a frequent shift point! It does it all the time and becomes annoying! I can live with it if necessary but I would much rather hear the Hemi purr than feel that vibration! LOL!

#10 ·
I, too, have the vibration/feedback through the gas pedal at the 2000 RPM mark. I'm not feeling anything through the steering wheel at this point. For the most part, I drive my truck like an old lady, :shy: so it becomes more apparent to me when I'm going up a slight incline. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread, to see how this issue (if there is one) progresses. By the way, my truck is a '13 Big Horn 4x4 5.7L HEMI 8 speed transmission with 3.55's.

#13 · (Edited)
It's not lugging. The 2,000 RPM in city driving is about the top of the rev range when the transmission up shifts (I have the 8 speed trans). As soon as the up shift completes and the RPMs drop the vibration disappears until the engine climbs back to the 1800 - 2000 RPM range when the vibration again occurs. It is not MDS either as it occurs even in tow/haul mode. It is more pronounce under load, such as going up hill. We have a highway nearby with about a 1 mile up hill section. Adjusting speed so that the truck holds about 1900 - 2000 RPM going up that hill and the vibration is very pronounced in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and drivers floor pan. When the terrain levels out at the top and the truck upshifts, vibration is gone until the engine hits that 1800 - 2000 RPM range again.

#17 ·
I have a 6 speed with 3.92 gears. I have a low RPM vibration (1100 RPM). Goes away if I hit the towhaul button. I think it is the tranny shifting at too low an rpm. Had the same problem with my 2010. Dealer re-flashed the shift/tranny paterns and never had a problem after that. Taking my 2013 to the dealer on Monday.

#18 · (Edited)
Here is the fix I found for a vibration.....may be same thing. Try it and see if you truck still makes the noise/vibration.

Here is a link to where I posted this info with a pic. Look on page 2 towards the bottom. Two pics were loaded in that post.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146584&highlight=supermanwv&page=2

Well.....discovered the noise. And fixed it! Here is a copy of what I posted on another RAM Forum.

I did...... They still acted like after I left they couldn't make the noise happen like I did.

However.......TODY WAS MY LUCKY DAY!

I went out and listened to my noise with the windows up and it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side.

And since it sounds like metal vibrating....under the truck I go. Here is what I found.

The only metal part I found that could be loose was a muffler clamp right where the two down pipes from the motor come together and clamp to the straight pipe going to the muffler. It's the only clamp like it on the exhaust. The other one by the muffler is different. Anyway, the clamp nuts were as tight as heck. I couldn't even budge them using a pipe over the end of the wrench. So I checked that idea off my list of one thing to check. But then I noticed it...... Right above that clamp, welded to the top of the muffler where that clamp is, is a flat clip that is bent kind of square and it goes over the clamp, evidently to hold the clamp in place during manufacturing before it actually gets put together and tightened down. Well it's only welded to the exhaust pipe on one side of the clamp. So the other side vibrates. Evidently around 3500 RPMs. Lol! But since its over the exhaust clamp it vibrates on the metal of the clamp. I went under the truck with a very large screwdriver and put it under that clip and pried it up until it was totally clear of the clamp. Now VOILA! No vibrating noise!

I'm so glad I could lose control. This noise has been haunting me since I got the truck. And four trips to the dealer with no fixes.

I feel like I need to go dealer and show them the culprit. So they can help anyone else who may have this issue. Cause clearly they'll never figure it out on their own.

Hope this helps someone.

Later.

Clark (SupermanWV)

#20 ·
Same, mine does it at 2000 rpm also, just enough to be noticeable, I figured it was a torsional characteristic of this engine. I'll follow what happens here.

#21 ·
my truck is 2 weeks old, has 600 miles and it has a vibration at 2000 rpms. it has 3.92 gears so it spends a lot of time in the 2000 rpm range. I called service advisor and he told me there was a truck in with the same issue last week. they determined it was the characteristic of the truck.

#29 ·
If they give you that response, push them to escalate it to the Ram tech support center. Tell them you just spent a fortune on a new truck and don't believe that the engineers designed a 2000 RPM driveline vibration into the vehicle! Don't give up. It took me months to convince my dealership to escalate it to Ram. Ram acknowledged the problem and indicated a fix has not yet been documented. My dealership told me that since they opened a call on my VIN, that Ram will notify the dealer specifically for my VIN when a correction is documented (TSB issued). Let us know what happens on Saturday. Good luck!

#31 ·
Just got back, and even paying extra special attention to notice it I didn't feel it. Good luck and let us know what happens.

#32 ·
The vibration is normally very prominent, especially under load like driving up a long hill with the engine in the 1900-2000 range. New, my Ram was very smooth until about 700 - 800 miles then the vibration started. It now seems to be getting worse. It's very frustrating that Ram is not yet authorizing repairs!

#35 ·
Same issue here!

Hi All,

I have the exact same issue here. Happens throughout all of the gears right around 1800-2000 RPM. The steering wheel and gas pedal vibrate very noticeability. I haven't contacted the dealer yet as I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue. I hate going to the dealer without documentation and proving this is happening to others.

Has anyone got their issue resolved? I didn't have the issue when it was new. Just recently after 6 months and roughly 5000 miles I noticed it.

Any info would be great appreciated.

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 Hemi 4x4 with 8 speed transmission.

Thanks,
Lloyd

#36 ·
I had my dealer service guy drive it with me in the truck and he did feel it. They are going to research TSB's and all but I am not optimistic. The Service guy said he has never seen this issue. They did look under the truck and tightened up my skid plates but that did not fix the issue.

Everyone with this issue needs to take it in to your dealer at this point...maybe enough noise about the vibration will get Ram to look into it! What we need is a documented Bulletin about this issue to refer to.

#37 ·
I brought my 2014 SLT w/air suspension home last Tuesday. I also have this problem which led me to search the internet and forums for what is going on. I will take mine in and make sure to complain until they forward it all the way up the chain to Ram. This is very annoying to spend this much on a truck and have such an annoyance that cannot be changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.