DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Ram 1500 Air Suspension problems when -10 or lower

77K views 243 replies 63 participants last post by  Ms Pixie 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any problems and if so what have you experienced.
My Immediate air suspension service-repair comes on at -10 and lower but clears when warmer than -10.

#48 ·
2013 Ram 1500-Serious Air Suspension Issues. Dodge has basically flat out not tested this product prior to roll out. We purchased new Long Horn as anyone knows these trucks do not come cheap. We have taken to dealership as we have experienced - system overheating continually/the right front corner drops so almost touching tire. The only thing preventing this from happening is an apparent pillow block which is supposed to stop the air bag from damage when system fails. Truck has spent over 2 months in shop - new compressor was ordered which did not fix the problem. The claim from dealership is engineers do not know how to solve the issue at this point claiming the have not heard of any such issue. Dealership is not willing to consider a buy back-so again we have the big auto dealer putting out an unsafe and obviously untested product. It was suggested that we drive only in warm weather. Really-we live in Canada and cold weather is with us from fall to May. My question is with a system overheating - is the auto make willing to put at risk the owner for vehicle fire or worse yet the system fails dramatically while driving causing an accident maybe a resulting death!!!! We are stuck in the middle of a go no where issue with this. Nobody has the answers and will not provide any viable solutions for their inability to solve…these are engineers REALLY !!!! If you are considering a Dodge with Air Suspension DON'T. You will be where obviously many many buyers are today with an expensive product that does not function as claimed with no light at the end of the tunnel for a fix.

#51 · (Edited)
They did test this system for a few years on the Grand Cherokee, they clearly didn't work the bugs out.
If you google it, you will find lots of posts regarding failures and problems on the Grand Cherokee

We also have front end dropping to the point truck is not safe to operate. New compressor did not solve issue. The minute temp dropped on the negative side-down it went like a load of DODGE bricks. Nitrogen was also ordered and utilized-did not resolve. Funny how the dealerships just don't want to spend time addressing our concerns. This has become a time issue with them and manpower which they have no desire to move forward with. Easier to tell the customer - drive in warm weather-sorry bout your issue!!! Great Customer service and care…we have not been able to talk to anyone from Chrysler Customer Care …. obvious they don't care either. :LOL:
Contact AMVIC
If all of the Alberta Members start contacting them. Perhaps something will be set into motion.

#49 ·
In addition the dealership has informed us that Chrysler will not allow them to order a complete system and build from ground up in hopes of addressing the issue. I tend to think not only is the system bad but the software program developed to run it. We also lost our rearview mirror sensor when they did upgrade - hi-beam no longer operated in auto mode/we received messages ignition on-unable to turn off/battery low restart engine to recharge/Nav system randomly turns itself on/unable to hold the satellite channels/blinking red light on rear view mirror. This just goes on and on-we suggested even a computer replacement, alas dodge denies-denies any requests to assist the customer. One dealership in Red Deer did not even know this was a closed Nitrogen system….they wanted to purge with air thinking there was a blockage somewhere…this story just goes on and on… When will Dodge suck it up and be there for the customer that just spent $$$$$$$$ and stop telling us to drive only in warm weather-we don't know---and never heard of this issue before. I have no doubt they read the web just like us.
Shame on Dodge ….

#53 ·
okay heres the info i have,

my truck is getting built and hold for QA for Non-US Radio Battery Drain issue

i have no idea for now how long they will kept it, but i imagine that there will be a fix for canadian ram that are already built BUT FOR NOW THS IS ONLY MY OPINION

so i think the problem is only on canadian equip air suspension model and it make sense by reding this post all of you that are having the problem are in canada

i explain what i think,..

the canadian model with the 8.4 radio drain the battery and when the battery gets to low the air suspension can not use the power to work so the front end lower to the ground,..(probably because the front is heavier that the back) or in some case the battery gets so low the truck dies

hope were getting somewere

#55 ·
well i'm not saying it's the only issue with

i fact there looks to be 2 different issue

the one you have with the message

and the 2nd one witch you'll arrive let say in the morning and the truck is front lowered or even dead(wont start)

#56 ·
There are more than 2 issues. There is a faulty wiring harness securing issue. There is a low nitrogen tank issue. There is a front end lowering issue. There is the fuse blowing issue. There is a cold weather issue as well. There is also the constant message on the evic that says service/repair required. I have had all of these and yet I had never had a drained or dead battery over night.

#60 ·
Just an update.As of January 31,Chrylser is releasing the back-ordered-on hold parts to the dealerships for repairs.Compressors,relays,modules.I guess no one will know if there is a fix yet until parts are replaced and it is cold weather road tested.Fingers-crossed!!

#61 ·
Well, I just ordered a LH with air in January and am hoping that I don't have these problems. I live an hour away from the dealer, and they already told me they cannot guarantee me a loner car if I have to leave the truck at the dealer. It has been brutally cold here in Manitoba all winter.

#62 ·
Well yesterday after the truck sitting for a week in cold weather, it failed to raise to Off-Road 2... After a few minutes it said "cool down air suspension" or something along those lines. It acheived all other ride heights

#63 ·
Got some new info.Although the air suspension is a "closed" system,it is designed to draw outside air to bring the vehicle up to the proper height should there be a nitrogen leak in the system.Once outside air gets into the system,moisture will freeze.Compressor runs continuously trying to bring vehicle up to the selected height,resulting in the "air suspension cooling down" warning.After that starts to happen,the 40 amp fuse is the next thing to start going.

#64 ·
Im definitely going to start reporting my issues to AMVIC.

#65 ·
Drove about 300km going 120km/h in off-road 1. Could go up or down, got a message to service suspension as usual and every time I had to slow down it would tell me to slow down to maintain height. I also saw one day an icon of a truck with and line across with up and down arrows. I just don't know what to do about this, do Chrysler have an actual fix on this? I just get the run around that there's nothing wrong.

#66 ·
How were you able to drive in Off-road 1 at 120kmh?

#67 ·
The icon with the line across it indicates that the truck is overloaded and it has limited adjustability for the air suspension.If you have no load in the truck you are having a definite Air Suspension problem.Check your 40 amp fuse.They seem to blow when the compressor starts overheating.

#69 ·
Took truck in last week on Tuesday, was a hassle to get a curtosey vehicle, had to plead my case i have a unsafe vehicle to drive, i shouldnt be out of wheels. Got a call today, the story goes nothing was wrong, the some fittings were tighten which they tried to sell me that it was the issue and leaking the air out. I was absolutely furious as I called BS on all the crap they were feeding me, I asked the rep how could it be a leak if I was able to be in off road 1 for 300+ KM traveling at 120km/h, he didnt have much of an answer, he tried saying the truck is smart enough not to lower at high speeds as it would be unsafe. OMG does anoyone know what there talking about.

#70 ·
It seems many dealerships are in the dark over this.My truck has been at the dealership now for 5 weeks.I'm driving a new loaner truck so I'm okay with that.The dealership,working with Chrysler engineering,has replaced the compressor,distribution block,and the control module as first steps at any repair.Finally they have been authorized to replace the two front bag/struts.No stock available.It appears that they are being re-engineered and will be available the last week of March.At least it seems Chrysler is finally starting to admit that there could be something wrong.

#71 ·
At lease they gave you a truck for truck, I've been given a compass. I was just at the dealership, went and found my truck on the lot, sure enough front end is dropped again. Talked with the service manager, he feed me more bs, how its good it happened again, then again they assured me everything was good and fixed yesterday. Will be brought in again and looked at. Hes dead set its the hoses leaking and they apparently some how installed a device to see where the leak is coming from. lol I just cant believe the crap I'm being feed and have to go through just to get this fixed. I just hope that your on the right track and the front shocks/bags assembly is the culprit and when replaced solves the issue. At the same time I don't understand how each dealership seem to have their own agenda, you'd think these attempts a repairing similar issues should be documented and distributed among all service shops to get it done right the first time.

#72 ·
Having this forum helps. I couldn't order my RAM with air when I went to my dealer and he pretty much scoffed when I said I had learned something about the issue on an online forum. I told him that he should try ordering it as a "sold order" and when it worked he seemed a little surprised that info I got from a forum helped solve the problem. I hope that if I have issues and bring in some help from this forum that he might be receptive.

#73 ·
well I've done what I can do so far, I've filed complaints to Transport Canada and AMVIC. CAMVAP will be the next step of I see no clear attempt on behalf of Dodge on actually trying to fix this problem. Its disgusting to think dealerships are sending people back in their vehicles that have life threading hazards if driven.

#74 ·
So found out today that the dealership has ordered a strut/bag assembly thing for the truck, but its on back order and had no definitive answer on when it would show up.
It could be weeks until the part is here and currently I've been placed into a jeep compass. I'm looking for advice here on what should be my approach on this manner of getting into a truck. The dealership said they have 4 curtsey trucks but are all taken and I'd be advised when one becomes available. I lost my shit on several people there because of the lack luster answers they'd give me about issues with the truck. I've been also told by the dealership that its not their fault as they didn't build the truck and that its Chrysler issue. A buddy of mine told me I shouldn't of taken that answer as I bought the truck off the lot therefore at one point it was the dealerships property. I was also suggested to call Chrysler directly and explain my situation, which I did and cause it was Friday I wont here back from a escalation rep until Monday. In the mean time I'm paying for a truck that sitting in the dealers shop. 2 weeks now.

#75 ·
#1 which dealership, so I know who to avoid.

#2 record everything, take notes on everything, include names of who you spoke with.
Keep it all, and keep in contact with Chrysler Canada and AMVIC.

#80 ·
Just got my truck back today after 6 weeks. New compressor,distribution block,control module and two new front strut/bags and a complete nitrogen recharge..The dealership kept it an extra week to monitor it parked outside overnight.So far so good but the temperature is finally warming up.

#81 ·
Great to hear you got your truck back. Mine is approaching 3 weeks now at the dealership. Do you think a compressor, control module and distribution block was necessary for the repair? I'm still left in the dark by both chrysler and the dealership as to whats going on. I called chrysler today to speak with my case manager, hopefully i hear from him tomorrow.

#82 ·
And the light goes off when it gets warm?

I shouldn't be so lucky. I owned a brand new vehicle for 20 yrs. The check engine light came on the first year and never went off. Nobody seemed to know why. The most logical possibility was from a friend auto wrecker said it could be your speedometer keeps moving. Something I never would of thought of.

#83 ·
The compressor had burned out from trying to raise the truck in -40 degree weather.It was blowing a fuse every time.The control module was replaced as it showed an internal fault when it was scanned and the distribution block was replaced because that is the first item Chrysler Engineering told the dealership to replace before they replaced the front strut/bags.All is working well so far.No more EVIC messages.No more dropped front end in the mornings.No more LOUD compressor before it blows a fuse.Happy Camper so far!

#84 ·
Now that its been warm here no issues at all and its faster getting to the selected ride height..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.