DODGE RAM FORUM banner

leaking oil

17K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Obsessed 
#1 ·
The past few times I went to my parents they have noticed oil spots on their driveway where I was parked. We were never sure if it was my truck until just now when I backed out and sure enough there was a wet oil spot about 4 or 5 inches in diameter after just 30 minutes. I'm obviously worried now that its been leaking probably since my last oil change which has been a few months ago now. Of course its Saturday night and the dealer is closed tomorrow and I'm not off again until next Friday. What do you guys think? Something simple like the filter or should I be concerned?

#5 ·
Wouldn't hurt to put a wrench on the drain plug either,.
Bingo. My Toyota dealership left the drain plug quite loose once. :doh:

#4 ·
I just discovered last week that my 2013 Longhorn with only 4700 miles started leaking oil around the oil filter after the first oil change. I only discovered the leak after cleaning up my garage floor after the first snow here. I checked around and found a post on another forum where others are having the same issue with the 2013s. There is a Chrysler has a Star case open on it. I took mine to the dealer and told them about the leak and that there was a Star case referenced in another forum. They checked their system and found the case. They ordered a replacement part - apparently the threaded tube that the filter screws onto was not long enough or did not have enough threads. They told me the replacement part was a nipple. They ordered the part and had it on the next day. I have not seen any oil on the garage floor since then. It has only been a week since I got the replacement part. I will continue to monitor and pay special attention after the next oil change (which I always have done at the dealership).

#12 ·
Here's another little tid bit. If you can change your oil and filter yourself, when you drop your oil filter, you might just have two oil filter gaskets present. The Mopar oil filter gaskets are known to come free and stay attached to the engine rather than stay attached to the filter. And if these lube techs are a bunch of rookies, they won't know to ensure of this important detail. Good luck and please, let us know what comes of this.

#13 ·
For what it's worth the exact thing happened to me after my first oil change. Bad filter leaking like crazy. I demanded to watch the mechanic remove the filter to see if the infamous "stuck gasket" was present. It was not. Re changed the oil and so far so good.

Freakin dealer was not going to do a full oil change when I brought the truck back leaking. Told me they would just change filter and top off. I told them if they do that I'm driving my truck straight through their showroom when I leave, they gave me a full oil change.

#14 ·
The timing of this post is crazy. I have 4700 miles on my '13 and just started noticing oil spots in the driveway. Took to dealer and they told me "a rookie service associate didn't clean out the pan all the way during your last oil change, and that is what's leaking out". They cleaned it out and told me I was good to go. Yesterday morning...oil spot under the truck again.

I appreciate the info on the starcase and will ask them about it. I get so tired of being BS'd by these guys who just want to pat me on the head and send me on my way.

#15 ·
I have an appointment Friday for mine along with a new shifter and I'll make a list of little things that bother me like the squeaky back doors and a rattling sound that comes from under the truck when I accelerate. also the wind noise on the drivers window that makes me check to see if the window is up all the way all the time!

I waited in this place for about 3 hours last time I was there judt to have a tire replaced under warranty so I'm gonna be dropping the truck off this time and might ask for a loaner. What's the rule on that anyway? How long must it take to get a loaner truck?

#17 ·
Found mine leaking too. Checked and filter was just barely hand tight. Extra 1/4 turn and all is good. Dealer lube techs just not being careful. Makes me nervous though as I get oil changes before big road trips - could lose a lot of oil from a loose filter when cruising down the highway for 10+ hours.

#18 ·
I checked mine again this morning and its still full which is making me wonder if its something other than oil leaking. I'll find out tomorrow.

Here's my list so far
Leak
Oil change
Squeaky back doors
Rattle sound under truck when accelerating
Wind noise at 55mph and above at drivers window

Should I ask to update anything? I have the latest radio update with the apps but what about other updates?

#21 ·
Update
Took truck in today and it was a loose filter causing the leak. They had a small list of other issues such as wind noise, replacing the shifter, door squeaks, and I asked if they could install bed lights for me.

They had the truck for over 6 hours and basically only did an oil change and replaced the shifter. they weren't able to duplicate the squeaks or rattle under the truck and said they couldn't install the lights without drilling a hole in the cab to run the wires from the cargo light switch. Thank god it was all warranty because they charge $88/hr for labor.

#22 ·
Had my first oil change done at the dealership (free) about a month or so ago. Recently I have noticed some oily spots on the driveway, so a couple nights ago I put the cardboard under the truck, checked the next morning and yep, it was oil. So today it was actually warm and dry enough to get under and find where it was coming from. It was very obvious, oil on the steering box, and down the side of the filter. First thought was the threaded nipple issue (threads too short).
Well, after wiping everything off, I grabbed the filter and, you guessed it, barely snug. I turned it easily over 1/2 a turn by hand. It was barely on enough to keep it from backing off, but oil pressure was pushing oil out around the gasket.
I tightened it up, and finished cleaning all the oil off the steering box and frame, and check my oil level.
That's why all future oil changes will be done by me.

#23 ·
I'd be wary of the filter too and if it's a brand new vehicle be a bit concerned until I checked it out.

I only had this happen once but it was rather spectacular. Seems they don't always lube the gasket on filters at the factory. So a grease monkey who isn't paying attention can take your filter off at the first oil change just fine--but the gasket sticks to the mount. Then you screw on a new filter with it's own gasket--matter of time before she starts leaking. Or in my one case--blows while driving down the highway in a brand new truck! Nothing quite like hearing and seeing all your oil blow out of your new vehicle while your gauge crashes and the underside and whole backside gets covered with oil.

#25 ·
Wow, thanks guys! I got my first oil change by the dealer 2 weeks ago. Oil spots in the driveway, oil down the sides, etc. I installed tow hooks this morning and figured while I had the truck up to just kind of get acclimated as to everything under there and saw the mess around and under the filter. I checked the dip stick, sure enough a half quart low. I remembered the mention of the "Star" case here, called the dealer, they checked into it and were rather surprised that there really was Star case.
So, for the second time in almost 40 years I had someone else do an oil change. The other time the clown torqued the filter on so tight that I couldn't budge it the next oil change. i had to revert to the old drive a screw driver trick.
So my 1st trip in for service I asked them to do two things: change the oil and update the software. They used the wrong stick and loaded the same version that I already had and now I have an oil leak. Jeesh!Anyway, Reps to Ram Fan!

#26 · (Edited)
My dad noticed oil spots on his driveway after I was at his house so I checked and I have some oil leakage around the filter. NOt leaking much but I was going to take it back in for its second oil change next week anyway. Probaby the rookie kids doing oil changes on Saturdays that didn't put it on right, I'm going to take it during the week this time.

#27 ·
I am having the same problem. I took my truck into the dealership after the third oil change due to the filter leaking. They told me that it was likely a faulty filter and that they had a few others with the same problem within 500-1000 miles after the change. I am a little worried about the explination. They put on new filter a topped the oil off (lost a half quart in 30 miles). I check my garage floor every morning after I warm my truck and back out, good thing I have that habbit... shouldnt have to with a brand new vehicle but I have always had nothing but problems with every delership except Lexus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.