DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hour meters

17K views 59 replies 37 participants last post by  dizzle 
#1 ·
On my 13 Ram I have the large EVIC screen and if I go to the one with the engine hours and idle hours my idle hours is stuck at 1 which I know is in correct because my truck idled for about 3 hours straight one night. Does anyone else have/noticed this issue? Is there any easy fix???

#3 ·
I have about 6700 miles on my truck, and the idle hours still say 0 while drive hours say 177. I don't really ever let it idle but I figured sitting at stoplights or something would have got it to 1 by now. Maybe it only counts them if you're in park? I was mildly curious about this myself.

#4 ·
Same here....still at zero...

#7 ·
I don't get why they put the idle meter on there if they weren't gonna bother to hook it up. My public safety vehicle is a dodge charger hemi police package and it has a idle hour meter and last check it registered 4350 run hours with 1022 idle hours.

#9 ·
That's funny that was the best answer they could conjure up because some guys with hemi engines on other forums actually have hours clocking on their meters. It just kinda bums me out to see a feature that doesn't work :( Redsmart is your truck a hemi or diesel?

#12 ·
That's funny that was the best answer they could conjure up because some guys with hemi engines on other forums actually have hours clocking on their meters. It just kinda bums me out to see a feature that doesn't work :( Redsmart is your truck a hemi or diesel?
Mine is a Hemi, and as you can see my counter works just fine.

I think somebody is feeding you some BS at your dealership?!?

#10 ·
I assume the idle hour meter came about because of all the issues we were having with company trucks and oil changes. They would operate on the 3000 mile interval but the trucks sit and idle all day long. We would see lots of trucks under warranty coming with engines that looked like a severely burnt poptart on the inside haha.

My 10 doesn't have the idle meter but the regular run meter seems to be accurate.

#11 ·
Funny? My meter says that my truck has idled for 8 hours. The first time I saw that I freaked out because I keep inadvertently starting the truck with my remote start in my pocket, and I thought "Oh ,crap!, 8 hours? It's been worse than I thought!" but now, 3 weeks later it still say the truck has idled for 8 hours, so I take it with less than a grain of salt.

#21 ·
Mine is a 2013 Ram 1500 with a Hemi, 1300 miles and 6 hours idle time. I do use the remote start, but have only had the truck for 11 days! The truck had about 250 miles on it when I bought it...

#25 ·
Hi All,

My question is does the oil change accumulator count or factor in the idle hours to the amount of run time left on the oil before a change is needed? If it does I think I'll go back to the 3000 mile oil and filter change and disregard the oil life meter since this would make it absolutely inaccurate.

preachp

#26 ·
Mine has 10.5k miles on it now and 0 idle hours. I start it up every morning and let it warm up for a few while I let the dog out before I drive to work.

#34 ·
I'm at about 6100 miles with my '13 Big Horn and my "Idle" engine hours is at 13. My "Total" engine hours is at 210. Seems to be working for me, as I remote start quite often and drive in stop and go traffic about 80-85% of the time.

#36 · (Edited)
So what is the outcome here?

I have 4300 miles and 0 idle hours. Do I actually take it in and have them fix this? I don't get how many of us have 0 and some actually work. Is it a model thing maybe? I have the express.

I will say, I reset my trip counter daily, so wondering if idle hours reset with that? Just throwing it out there.

#37 ·
Big Horn trim here. Idle engine hours counting works. I reset my trip counter after every gas fill up, so I don't think that should have any influence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.