DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Weird! Uconnect SD Card doubling the tracks on Albums!

6K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  KevinCanada 
#1 ·
I have plenty of glitches on my Uconnect radio ranging from not understanding my commands to play a particular album or a song, to acknowledging the album but then continuing to play the previous one, to wiping out all my Satellite station presets, to switching media on its own, etc. etc. etc.! (BTW my software version 13.15.4). Anyway today while cruising on my truck had a new glitch and was wondering if someone else has experienced this issue. The issue being for example, that I chose one of my favorite albums to play on the SD card, and I of course started on Track 1, when the track is over I'm looking forward to the Track 2 song playing, but no, Track 1 starts playing again, hmm, I never touched the "Repeat" button, OK so I change the track manually with the steering wheel button, the new track is over but then again repeats itself, so I say to myself, well another glitch that I didn't have before, no automatic playing of tracks on albums! Curious however I decide to open the track listing on the album, and lord and behold what do I see--all the tracks are doubled on the SD Card, no wonder they were repeating themselves, how the heck did that happen? And not only on that album, but with few exceptions, most of the albums on the SD Card had double tracks! I took the SD Card out and put it in my PC, but then I saw that the songs were not repeated on the SD card in the computer, well right then and there I knew that it was a Uconnect problem and so how the heck was I going to correct that? Well the way I solved it, was to get in the truck, started it up, let the radio come on, put the SD card in, still had the same issue, took the SD card out, shut the truck off, waited till everything was totally off, then installed the SD card, started the truck, went to SD Card media mode, and Walla, the albums were back to single Tracks they way they're supposed to be, but really weird, never thought that could happen. If anybody has any ideas as to how that could happen I certainly would appreciate your comments!

See less See more
#4 ·
I have the same issue if and when my radio decides to read the SD card.

#5 ·
I have a 2014 RAM that has same issue, at the present my SD card went from just over 500 songs to 2032 songs, some are doubled some as many as 6 copies of the same songs. I have been to the dealer 3 times now and they say I have a bad SD card. This is the 3rd SD card I have bought how can all 3 be bad?
Also sometimes it won't even recognize the SD card at all. Now back to the dealer for my 3rd appointment and diagnostics on the unit. What a hassle.

#7 ·
I have had this problem and a "reverse" one - in that I go to a folder to play a given song and all songs by the particular artist are gone! - Zip, nada... To cure the problem, I've just done a "reboot" of the UConnect - holding the volume and select buttons both in for about 10 seconds until the system begins a reset. Once the reset is done - all back to normal (at least as normal as it gets!).

Charlie

#8 ·
Have the same issue with mine. I'm on the latest rev of the firmware. Some double, some triple. How ever I do have a few songs on there that it foes not do that. Haven't had a chance to look at them but I wonder if the ones that don't double are a different bit rate or some thing like that? Doesn't do it with the same songs on a usb drive.

#9 · (Edited)
I've narrowed down a lot of these little bugs to the way the UConnect software boots. I've had these little issues as well.
It seems that often when starting the vehicle(which boots up the UConnect), it sometimes takes longer than other times for the UConnect system to fully load. Sometimes it doesn't start up all of its services and we get left with features that don't work until the next fresh load of the system (complete shut off and restart).
A restart of the power doesn't usually bring these services back as you have to wait for that short time period for the system to completely shut everything off even after you've shut the truck down. With the ignition off, open and shut the door again, and listen after about 45 seconds for relays to click off etc.
Once you hear those last relays etc shut down, then it'll do a full restart when you turn the truck back on.

Most of my issues were the truck not loading the USB/ SD card/Bluetooth audio component.
It doesn't recognize any of these are there and plugged in until a factory reset or after that complete power cycle.
if I have to resort to a factory reset, all is good again for a month or so before the symptoms start coming back.
We're just going to have to deal with it, as Chrysler/UCconnect isn't going to get us any 100% stable fix. They keep trying numerous times and all we get are partial fixes and new bugs showing up sometimes after firmware updates.
Not a solution here, but I'm quite sure the underlying operating system is just not consistently starting all of the services all of the time. Pretty ridiculous that we have to deal with these issues, but they're obviously moving on to bigger better things and the existing troubled UConnect systems aren't getting the attention they should be.

#11 ·
mine, too, 2 or 3 items of the same mp3, latest 14.05.3 (latest 14, whatever it is).
To fix it temporarily, i got the stick out, copied the folders onto my desktop, formatted the card, copied the folders back again and changed some of the folder names to get re-indexed.
Apparently the recall for the RF or whatever it is called fixes some of the issues, including access times and formats supported.

My dealer told me there will be a new uconnect update out in a few weeks.

#12 ·
I'm just starting to play with some music on a USB drive (getting ready for my free year with XM to go away next month). I had it double everything so I thought it was because I had everything in folders. Took it all out of the folders, and it was still happening. Not to impressed with the MP3 capability so far!

#15 · (Edited)
I just found this site today while searching for an answer to a Uconnect SD card problem. I have a new 2014 RAM. I tried using a 16GB card in the reader to play music for the 1st time today and was surprised to see all the songs doubled. The SD card was formatted in FAT32 so I formatted it again FAT32. I reloaded my music on the card and it now works fine in the truck. Thanks to the previous posts for pointing me in the right direction.

On another note: I followed the above link and determined that my Uconnect qualifies for a software upgrade. The above info shows me how to download the software update to my computer. How do I get that upgrade from my computer into the truck?

Thanks,
Daniel

#16 ·
I followed the above link and determined that my Uconnect qualifies for a software upgrade. The above info shows me how to download the software update to my computer. How do I get that upgrade from my computer into the truck?

Thanks,
Daniel

You should see a link to download the installation instructions. You have to run the downloaded .exe file to uncompress it, then copy the swdl.iso file on to an empty USB stick (forgot the minimum size required). Inset the USB stick in to the media hub and ignition on, uconnect will detect the swdl.iso file and guide you from there.

Someone was kind and made a video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2kavHJYz8

#17 ·
Copy Songs on SD-Card

Hello.
I know, this thread ist a little older but here is my solution:

First: Do NOT try do Hard-Reset the UConnect-System.

My problem was also, that the UConnect-System doubles and triples Songs.
Thats, because UConnect stores some information about the Card an Song-Files.

My Solution:

Fist I formatted the SD Card (Intenso 32GB; Format Fat32).
ATTENTION: Do not use Quick-Format. I know i takes a little Time to format a SD-Card with 32GB oder larger but (in my case) it was necessary.
AND (and i think thats the point) Rename your Card. (The name of my card was by default "intenso" and i renamed it into "RAM".

And it worked.

When you later add some Songs there is no Problem.
When you later remove some Songs it would be the best, to try this procedure again to avoid the same problem.

I hope this solution will also work on your System.
Greetings from Austria.

Pandemo

#18 ·
The process above did not work for me. I have a 2013 1500 8.4AN w/update 14.25.05 and 16GB SD with about 800 songs in about 10 folders.

First, I had to keep reinserting the USB stick for it to work. Then I went to a 4GB SD and sometimes it didn't recognize the card. I bought a new 16GB SD, did a full format, renamed the card, copied all the songs and it started duplicating songs and not following voice commands. It would always audibly repeat the song title to me but only actually play the song half the time and keep playing the current song the other times.

So it's on my list for warranty issues but I'm going to keep playing with the formatting to see if I can get anywhere. My Corvette MP3 "player" is VERY finicky and get's confused by long names and v2 tags. Once I converted ALL the tags to v1 and shortened all the titles it's played everything. The Ram may have a similar issues so I may try deleting all art and v2 tags etc and see how it does.

#19 ·
I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee North. We have been having this same issue since day 1 of purchase. The dealer saying it's a bad SDCard is a load of BS. I have tried several SD Cards, and USB Sticks, all of different sizes, speeds and manufactures, and it's always the same result. I have recently updated Uconnect to the most up to date firmware, and of course the problem persists. Somtimes a song will repeat itself 6 or 7 times. It's quite annoying. I see the last post regarding this was in 2015, but it still appears to be an issue in almost 2020.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.