DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Auto Dimming Mirrors

6K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  RocketFoot 
#1 ·
Are all 3 mirrors supposed to dim when the auto dimming control is enabled? It really seems like my drivers side mirror is not dimming. I can see a big difference between the DS mirror vs the passengers side as well as the rear view mirror. The DS mirror is much brighter when lights are behind me.

#9 ·
Co-worker of mine has a '13 RAM. And his passenger side doesn't dim. He brought it in, and the dealer told him that his truck didn't have auto-dimming on the passenger side, only the drivers. He left it at that instead of trying to argue about it.

My '14 RAM, the drivers side isn't quite 'perfect'. It dims, but there's a ring around the edge (about 5MM all the way around) that doesn't. My passenger side doesn't have this ring, and my '13 didn't have that ring. I looked at several others, and they didn't have this ring. So I brought it in. The dealer then tried telling me that my truck didn't even have auto-dimming on the drivers side, only the passenger. After arguing with the service advisor I gave up. I was in California for work at the time, so I e-mailed the service manager. He got back to me right away, and after looking at it himself, he agreed it does infact have auto-dimming mirrors. As far as the ring, the dealers hands were tied. The auto-dimming was working, and in Chryslers eyes, there is no defect or failure.

So if the dealer tries to argue that you don't have auto-dimming, don't listen. For some reason, that is their go to explanation if something is wrong.

#12 ·
Both of your exterior mirrors should dim along with your interior mirror. They do on my Longhorn. If you have one of the later versions of software on your 8.4AN radio, make sure the Mirror Dim is selected under your controls button. I can tell a definite difference in both mirrors at night when someone comes up beside me with bright lights. It's enough to make me hate driving my Wife's car and my work van at night now. Seems like I'm always getting blinded when I'm not in my Ram.

#14 ·
Pretty sure all 3 of mine dim. I can't turn it off either with my version of Uconnect.

#18 ·
mine was shipped with 13.51.11, apparently a version not available for download.
I had zero issues too, but the geek in me couldn't stop from not going to 14 :)
It seems that my XM quality went a bit up and the Alpine seems louder, deeper.
I am not sure if it is my pos iphone or just highway noise, the quality of the calls is not as good, but I was in quite remote areas too.

#23 ·
All 3 of mine dim, the drivers side doesn't seem to dim as much but I think it has more to do with the pass ever mirror showing the objects further away than they actually are so the light isn't as bright on the side compared to the drivers side mirror, when I bought the truck I didn't know all 3 dimmed, on my 04 only the rear view did, such an awesome feature

#24 ·
I have not driven at night yet...lol

I have the dimming mirror option on my 2014 and it is on in the settings through through 8.4N, BUT I do have the tow package with tow mirrors...I wonder if they are dimming?

They are power and heated, so I would imagine dimming would not be that difficult?

I'll check tomorrow. Nice feature IF they are. Thanks!

#25 ·
I will try mine. Only notice my rear dim and I have power folds on my lone star.

#27 ·
On my 14 all three dim as they did in my 2011 as well.

Jimmerz, I don't think the tow mirrors dim. For you it will just be the inside rear view. Not sure about the 13-14's but that was true on the 2011's.

#30 ·
We'll crap, looks like i'm heading to the dealer. I needed to for that mirror anyway because sometimes the power fold didn't work on it. Would have to give it a slight nudge the hit the button again. This is in 70 degree temps so it can't be ice like they insisted last time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.