DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Learning my lessons

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Flashflud 
#1 ·
Bought my 2013 Ram 1500 several days ago and failed to check that it had the correct spare tire installed before buying. When I do finally check, I find it is a P245/75R16 not the stock P265/ 70R17. So I talk to the dealer (Just local dudes, not a Mopar dealer) and they tell me, hey no problem , it is the same outer diameter it will work. So I check online and find there is about an inch difference. Not a huge deal but not real close either. Lie number one. Today I took off one wheel and tried to put the spare on...no go, it won't clear the disc brake caliper. (and I could not even say that, oh well they probably tired it on the rear, because as you all know, these trucks are 4 wheel discs.) Lie number 2. And some people think I just do not trust people enough...

It was good to learn how to lower the spare with the stock tools. you have to use the BIG end of the extensions on the winch, I learned. :doh:

#2 ·
No real defense you have when buying a used vehicle. If it were a Ram dealer I'm sure they MAY HAVE swapped one out or got you one.

I would still be persistent on getting the correct spare, used truck or not. Pretty important piece.

#3 ·
I do not like the 17 inch do not exceed 55 mph spare wheel. F that. I purchased the factory steel 20 inch and a tire in 275 60 20 to match my OEM size. Now I am set. I am into this for 400.00 but money well spent since now I can drive 55 plus if I use the spare.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice

Called back to the dealer a few more times and they are going to get a wheel from Chrysler and a new tire...so I am told. We will see. I am expecting a full on normal duty tire and wheel, not some pretend spare good for 55 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.