DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2000 RPM Vibration

75K views 192 replies 71 participants last post by  rigger1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been researching a slight but annoying vibration that I get at 2000 RPM. It happens in any mode (ECO, Tow/Haul, etc.) and at any speed but always at 2000 RPM. I can feel it in the fuel pedal and the steering wheel. Is does not do it when in park or neutral...only while in motion. I mainly notice it when accelerating but it will vibrate constantly at around 60 MPH when the RPM stays steady at 2000 RPM. At this point, I can take my foot off the pedal and still feel the growl in the steering wheel. Once it shifts and the tach drops below 2000RPM, the vibration is gone.

I really think it is the torque converter but I have been reading a lot about the 5.7 Hemi having fierce torsional vibrations. I mentioned it to my service guy at the dealership and he was quick to blame the MDS system but I can almost bet that has nothing to do with this vibration.

Just wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar vibration at 2000 RPM. Any other ideas on what may cause this? I'm going to take it in soon but I want to be armed with some info first!

Here is a post I found about harmonic/torsional vibrations...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=1253642&postcount=11

I can believe it being a harmonic vibration but wouldn't it do it even in park or neutral?

See less See more
#106 ·
The Star center had my dealership check the flex plate for a crack and also to make sure the flex plate bolts were properly torqued. Mind were fine so no fix preformed. Still have the 2000 RPM vibration. I'm concerned about it causing internal damage over the long term, so while it is very annoying, Ram needs to find the root cause and provide a fix.

#107 ·
I had the truck in the shop last week and they checked out the 2000 rpm vibration for me also. According to the paperwork my truck received 3 TSB's/updates 18-012-14, 08-010-014 and 08-018-13. These numbers mean nothing to me but I can tell you the truck feels no different around the 2000 rpm area. It's a 2013 Crew cab SB 6-speed with 3:55 LSD with just 6K miles.

#108 ·
2,000 RPM Vibration - Fixed (mostly!)

Dealership replaced my torque converter last week. Significantly reduced the 2,000 rpm vibration. It still occurs under certain conditions, but the intensity is greatly reduced. I'll let the new TC break in for about 1,000 miles and will then provide an update.

#109 ·
Dealership replaced my torque converter last week. Significantly reduced the 2,000 rpm vibration. It still occurs under certain conditions, but the intensity is greatly reduced. I'll let the new TC break in for about 1,000 miles and will then provide an update.
Thanks for the info, Tom. Looking forward to reading your update down the road to see if this is something that can have a prolonged affect on limiting the vibration. I have had the vibration on my truck since day 1 and am going to bring it to the attention to my dealer during the next oil change (about 5,000 miles from now).

#110 ·
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 with the V6 Pentastar and I have this vibration at 2000rpm as well. I only have 829 miles on the truck and it seems now to be getting really annoying. I do feel it in the wheel and pedal. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. I don't think I felt this when I had less than 450 miles - but I sure do now.

Tom

#112 ·
my 2000 rpm vibration is back also. it was there when I bought my truck feb 1st. 2014. it went away when it got warm but still showed its face on some cold mornings in the summer. now that temp is colder it is there. still on some warmer days it goes away. I am waiting for steady cold weather to take it in. I am sure I will get the run around like I did all summer for a steering wheel/gas pedal thunk over rougher texture roads. dealer admitted there was an issue, replaced intermediate shaft. well that didn't fix it and now they wont even look at it. so I took it to 3 other dealers and they said its the road. I was told that since first dealer tried to fix thunk and failed and they still got paid by Chrysler, them or no other dealer will get paid again. this was from the last service manager I took my truck to.

#114 ·
I seem to recall a thread from last year where some folks were getting a clunk from the front end when going over bumps / pot holes. Not sure if your symptoms are the same, but the problem was the frame to body bolts needed to be tightened.

#113 ·
Concerning the relationship between temperature and the intensity of the vibration, yes, in the colder weather mine was also worse. It was explained to me that it appears the temperature of the transmission fluid is the variable that causes the differences in the vibration on cold days vs warm days.

#115 ·
I'm still leery about the issue being the TC. When it's cold AND the transmission is up to temp the issue still occurs with the same intensity. If it was truly related to the TC temperature wouldn't the issue dissipate as the transmission got warmer? I'm still leaning towards the harmonic balancer not being able to absorb normal engine vibration/harmonics when it's cold because the rubber's characteristics changes when it get colder. I could be totally off base but the temperature of the harmonic balance shouldn't change much or if any after the engine warms up. I would be interested what others think. It might even be a combination problem with a bad TC and HB.

Lloyd

#116 ·
Tom,

Would you be kind enough to PM me the name and place of the dealership that got approval to do your work? I still can't PM as I'm only at 13/25 posted messages.

To the ramforumz admins.... If someone PM's you, you should be able to reply back even if you haven't met the required 25 posts.

Thanks,
Lloyd

#117 ·
PM sent.

As there is still some vibration, there must be another component contributing to the vibration. I thought of the harmonic balancer, but my engine is perfectly smooth at 2,000 RPMs when in park and neutral. The vibration only occurs when in Drive. I would expect if it was the HB it would occur regardless of the state of the transmission.

#118 ·
Tom,

Yes it only happens when it's in drive because the engine and transmission is under load. Revving the engine to 2000 rpm in neutral or in park has no load on the engine or TC. The TC spins with the engine regardless. With my experience the vibration is also more prominent under load. Only if I had an engine dyno we could put this issue to rest! :)

Lloyd

#120 ·
New Tranny and TC Coming soon

Hi All,

In the middle of all of this vibration talk my truck has developed a whining noise while going into reverse. The dealership will be replacing the transmission and torque converter. My appointment is next week. After I get my truck back I will report my findings. I will be hopeful that this will solve my vibration issue but I'm not holding my breath.

Lloyd

#121 ·
I just posted on the similar "shimmy" thread.

- Not wheels and tires (at least on mine, I had them swap my 2012 OEM 20" wheels on this truck when I traded for this 2013 - never any vibration at all in that truck, this 2013 vibrates 50-70mph with either set exactly the same.). The wheels on this truck also 20's, just liked my 2012's more.

What I want to know is what is the common denominator component-wise for this issue?

My 2013 truck is a 4x4 CC 5.7 with 3.92 gears and 6 speed.

The 2012 I traded in for it (and swapped the wheels) was a CC 4x2 Express that I never had one issue with in 3 years since new. Drove smooth and straight. :4-dontknow:

#122 ·
Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply. The transmission swap was delayed a few days. Then the dealer had my truck for 3.5 days. Not sure why it would take that long to swap out a transmission. After they dropped off my truck I noticed an oil smell and saw transmission fluid was leaking all over the exhaust. So I was a little pissed about that because they said they needed my truck that long to make sure they did the job correctly. Hmmmm. Makes you think. It ended up with a leak in the transmission heater. So I still don't have my truck right now BUT I did have it long enough to see if it fixed the vibration issue. It did NOT. I didn't think it would as we all know its temperature related. And once the transmission warms up the issue is still there.

When I get my truck back I'm going to pursue my other theories which were the harmonic balancer, frame dampeners, and other rubber isolators. So for example I plan on heating up the harmonic balancer with a heating pad to get it up to 70+ degrees and then take it for a drive. If that doesn't fix the issue I'll move onto the next and etc...

Lloyd

#123 ·
Lloyd, sorry the new trans didn't fix the vibration. It took 2 days for the dealership to replace my torque converter. They had to drop the exhaust system, and remove the transfer case (4x4) to get the trans out.

#124 · (Edited)
For those experiencing this, how would you best describe it? Is it a consistent vibration/roughness or a shimmy/shake that could be experienced/confused with a balance problem? I ask because I believe I have both and I am trying to sort them out separately. I have a wobble in my seat at all speeds/rpm - especially worse at 45-55 and a roughness/constant droning vibration any time the truck gears down at a constant speed (MDS?). So, I brought my (13 CC 5.7 6-speed 3.55 gears) to the dealer today and they wouldn't even look at the truck after I explained what I was experiencing - they pulled the "characteristic" BS and referred to the MDS being the culprit. Now, I come back on here and read that there is a TSB for this - is the consensus that this fixed the vibration? Any thoughts on what I might be experiencing or could this be the same thing?

#125 · (Edited)
The 2,000 RPM vibration is distinct. While the RPM range may vary a little for each vehicle, it typically occurs somewhere in the 1850 - 2100 RPM band. You will feel a vibration in the gas pedal, and/or steering wheel, and in severe cases also the driver's floor pan. It occurs within the RPM band regardless of vehicle speed or transmission gear. It's been reported in 6-speed and 8-speed Ram 1500s (and I believe only with the Hemi 5.7). Typically more pronounced when under load (like going up a hill) and in colder temperatures. Below and above the RPM band the vehicle will run very smooth (unless there is also another problem causing a vibration).

#127 ·
15K miles on my truck and this issue still drives me nuts.
I'm just under 15K and it's one of two things that, if fixed, would make my Ram "perfect". The other being the "shuffle" button having to be turned on every time I start my truck.

#129 ·
. The other being the "shuffle" button having to be turned on every time I start my truck.
I'm hoping they'll address it with a Uconnect update at some point. I've actually had it stay on 1 or 2 times between starts, but obviously its far from consistent.

#133 ·
I'm hoping they'll address it with a Uconnect update at some point. I've actually had it stay on 1 or 2 times between starts, but obviously its far from consistent.
I'm not counting on Uconnect to fix anything at this point. I still can't connect to the Via Mobile Apps on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2. Since launch, this function has NEVER been operational in my truck. I've spent hours and hours on the phone with Uconnect and they've been pretty much worthless. I've unlinked all my accounts on the moparownerconnect site, and then relinked them. I've uninstalled the app on my smartphone, and then reinstalled. I've unpaired my phone with my truck, and then repaired. From my experience, getting the "Shuffle" button to stay on would be a minor miracle from Uconnect. :doh:

#131 ·
The 1900 / 2100 vibes you feel are "frequency harmonic vibrations" coming from the engine, there is no fix for that thru chrysler. I`ve had 3 of the 4th gen hemi trucks do this. With ALOT of testing with dampers on the engine block, i was able to find it and stop it... among other things like adding silicone to the bottom of the gas pedal to absorb vibes... dampening pads to the floorboards... 4 exhaust ballast`s from the 2005 TSB. Until chrysler designs a better dampening system within the hemi engines and the frame and body`s, it will never go away.

#132 ·
I have 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 6 speed and have had mine in the shop 4 times for this "vibration" "shutter" or whatever it is and they have gone as far to even call it "learning of different driver habits"...but what I have found out is that I can make it do it by letting off the gas and slowly getting back on it and also when I go to turn in a driveway or different road it don't seem to want to downshift. I can yield onto another road from an upper speed and I can push the manual shift to see what gear the truck is actually in and its always 4th gear. So I would love to know what this is!!

#135 ·
You can set a large glass of water (filled 1/2 full) on top of ANY engine, then slowly start to bring up the rpm`s and watch the water vibrate in the glass at different rpm`s. You will notice all kinds of different vibration`s and changes in the frequencies that will disturb the water in the glass throughout many different rpm levels. When you see the water vibrate violently, those are the harsher vibrations that find their way throughout your vehicle... steering wheel, gas & brake pedal, floorboards, seats, and so on. Vehicle`s are so thin today, it dosent take any effort to send vibrations at different frequencies to everywhere, including the cabins. Take into consideration, these vibes have nowhere to die off, so they continue to wreak havic until they find, you, you have become the absorbent for them, because you are at the last point that they can travel... and so is the body, the frame, the cabin, the person`s, within the vehicle. I hope i have explained it in simple enough language so that you can understand how & why it happens.

Here`s hopefully a simple test that will make you understand engine vibration....
Go start your push mower, put one hand on top of the engine, pretty smooth at idle...
Now bring up the throttle slowly to WOT... do you feel the change in vibration factor`s...???
YES, you will...! This is the same thing happening in your truck... harmonic`s

#140 · (Edited)
I still have my 2000 rpm vibration in winter and I have noticed in some warmer days this winter my steering wheel thunk is still there and Chrysler still wont fix it although they did admit feeling it and they did replace the intermediate steering shaft. well that didn't fix anything. now they refuse to feel the steering wheel thunk. yes I have 2 separate issues that make my driving experience very annoying throughout the whole year. I have taken the next step and still in limbo. I cant say much, but Chrysler has not responded to my man in the first 90 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.