DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Newbie here with probably the usual HID problem

937 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Quiet Lunatic 
#1 ·
So I added the usual HID kit from ebay the Zentec plag n play. Hooked everything up and it worked good for about 5 minutes and then they both flickered and then went out. Got home turned everything off and then back on and it worked fine for another couple of minutes. I am new to lighting so do I need to add resistors or something else or is something internally wrong with the kit. Any advice would sure help me out, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the site!
Yep you will need the resistors, Maddog has a writeup on here of when he did his, just search for HID install.

Got any Pics???

There are a lot of talented people on this site, so if you have questions feel free to ask, and I am sure someone will be able to help. If your looking for some accessories check out our vendor section and may the modding continue or begin
http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

#4 ·
They turned on then off right away? Did they do this the second time when you turned them on?

I think you might need a relay harness or something. I have a relay harness with my headlights and it works fine.

If you do not get a relay harness yo will need resistors. The truck does not know that there are lights installed.

#7 ·
I checked out the link but he doesnt talk about the resistors that I saw, does anyone know what type/size to buy and which line to install? What is the science behind it all? That the truck does not support the continual power needed for the HID or is it heat related or something? Thanks

#9 ·
Yea thats weird man. I know GTYankee has installed resistors on his HIDs. Also someone else posted recently about the resistors on the HIDs.

If you want man order a relay kit from 3B Spec our site supporter. That will be the easiest I think. It allows the HIDs to draw power straight from the battery so there is no loss of power to the ballast

Wait and see what some of the other guys say before you order.

Also send Hanh an email from 3B Spec he will help you out! I asked him a question about mine and he helped me out! Very nice guy great to deal with!!!

#11 ·
#13 ·
That was installing resistors like you wanted to know.

I never had a problem myself my kit came with a relay harness already. I never had a problem yet so I cant speak from experience.

I think try the resistors since they are a few bucks and if those dont work then get the relay harness. Start with the cheaper fix first, unless you want to get the harness right away.

Wait and see what one of the other guys say since I never had a problem like that before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.