DODGE RAM FORUM banner

No wonder it ran sluggish and got 11 MPG

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  v8hunter 
#1 ·
Last tank of fuel I got 11 MPG where I usually get 13/14 MPG, it was sluggish too so I figure I'll check the air filter since I haven't checked it in over a year, I pop open the canister and out falls a mouse nest!!! At least 80% of the K&N filter is plugged with fine nesting material. Just got through washing it and letting it dry now, so check your filter once in awhile!!!

#2 ·
About the 3rd time that i changed my oil, i decided to check my air filter
In the summer down here, flying insects are bad enough, but we also have semi trucks loaded with hay bales & that hay tends to constantly fall onto the road, one straw at a time
My air intake tube had a bunch of hay in it, because the tires of vehicles in front of my vehicle lift the hay back into the air & seemingly float in front of my grille area.
The bugs & hay are bad enough that i made a bug screen to go in front of my radiator

you can see where i put it

#11 ·
I found what must have been a mouse stockpile of food as the air box was completely full of dry dog food in my wifes car...surprised that it ran as good as it did before I found it.

#10 ·
Theirs you problem..... Like you truck trying to breath through a straw. This can happen to new trucks sitting on the lot. Mice dont care if its easy access.
FYI... My Kubota tractor/loader has a pull out screen just like that before the air filter. It really works well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.