DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Y-pipe installed pic heavy

53K views 171 replies 55 participants last post by  Pnm1113 
#1 ·
Once I climbed under the truck and actually saw the stock y-pipe and ran my hands down it I was completely motivated to get rid of that thing. Unbelievable that they would crush a pipe like that. Once I got it home I measured the 2.5" pipe at the start of the crush its about 1.5" and gets down to 1" at the collection point. My exhaust guy was blown away by it and said it would increase my flow by at least 40% with the new y-pipe. With my fastman TB , CAI and 14" mufflex this was surely the missing link to bring it all together. I dont have any real numbers to put to it but there is no way anyone can convince me this isnt a must do. And for $140 parts and labor it was way worth it. Updates to come as I get more drive time with it.

See less See more
#152 ·
You won't lose low end torque.

I deleted my cats, went from the stock 2.25" downpipes that the 4.7L has to 2.5" downpipes, then a dual in single out muffler (y pip inside the muffler). And single 3" stock tailpipe. I can tell a power difference at all rpm. Most noticeable is cruising on the highway just giving it slight amount of pedal it pulls a lot more.

#157 ·
^^^^^ This^^^^^

Generally exhaust mods are to improve sound, not performance... You may think you have better performance because of improved sound, but a dyno will prove actual results...

BTW: Butt-dynos prove nothing... and are often misleading.

#156 ·
I have been looking at replacing the Y with the correct stainless pipe done with mandrel bends, the thing that stops me is there are no actual dyno #s (butt dyno dose not count) Has anyone done this to a stock truck and have before and after dyno #s I would also be interested to see if there was any MPG increase.

#159 · (Edited)
... probably not, I know that I wouldn't... That's why all of this speculation about performance gains will go unproven, like the existence of Bigfoot. Wait a minute, Bigfoot does exist- bad example. :doh:

#163 ·
After reading 17 pages of this thread I have concluded a few things.
1. After getting off to a relatively rocky start due to typical wise cracks and misunderstandings it has been a very interesting/fun read.
2. Full catback systems are not an essential (or even a necessary mod.) to our trucks.
3. Cutting into your system immediately after the cat and installing a Y-pipe and adding a 14,18,22 Magnaflow or Mufflex etc is all you need to increase flow , get better sound and generally get rid of the crappy smashed factory pipe.

I may have missed some important points or gotten things bass-ackwards over the course of a zillion posts… If I did…. can someone else please give a good summary.

#165 ·
A friend of mine did a dyno test back to back.
He gained *RWHP from this mod,I did this mod on my 2003 and 2010,you will notice a slight increase in power and MPG.
No loss of bottom end at all.

#166 · (Edited)
A friend of a friend of mine did a dyno test back to back and he gained nothing from this mod. Not really, but you see my point? Not hate'n, just say'n...

#168 ·
cant wait to get mine done... i got my maggie muffler and y-pipe at the same time, got the muffler done but the shop couldnt do mandrel bending, so i didnt get the y-pipe done there... hopefully soon!

#169 ·
Why don't any of the cat backs just start a little further forward and include the Y or even better an X pipe? Seems like it would save the extra trouble.

#170 ·
After reading all 17 pages of the above thread a cou[ple questions.

1. Is the Y-Pipe a simple cut the old/dirty/restrictive one out insert fancy/shiny/new one with simple welds no further modification required.
2. Is it a requirement to cut out and replace the so-called crushed pipe that runs in the vicinity of the tramsmission ? If I dont cut out that pipe am I just throwing money away in replacing the Y.

#171 ·
I know my old trucks exhaust was all original it was a 95, I bought it in 05 did the whole muffler y pipe thing and within 5 yrs things were rusting out. if u are gonna keep your truck for a while definitely get stainless to replace any sections. also most muffler shop welds will not last as long as factory welds. just my opinion take it as you will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.