DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission issue

9K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  ramvan2500 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 auto. When I'm pulling out I have times that it seems like the transmission does know which gear to stay in(especially if I accelerating hard). It will gear down then back up going back and forth. Sometime it doesn't shift and hits the limiter. It really doesn't seem to slip just not what gear to stay in. It doesn't seem as back when I pull out easy. No problem once I'm up to speed. Ideas??? I read something about the TPS sensor? What about the kick down cable adjustment?

Hope to get some ideas. Thanks!!!!!

#4 ·
Well their is only ONE way to adjust the cable and that's is at the throttle body. You want to try to adjust the cable so the throttle lever on the transmission moves in sync with the throttle on the throttle body neither it lagging behind or moving ahead. I will post a file with the instructions for adjustment, it's a factory manual and has pictures to assist you. I'll post the instructions tonight on this thread.

#7 ·
I looked at the alignment but is looked to be good. Should I just try to go a knock at a time and test drive?
No I wouldn't go a knock at a time just incase something happens.

How you can tell if it's adjusted or not is if you open the throttle all the way up and can still pull about 1/4" more on the transmission throttle valve cable and the lever on the transmission moves in sync will the pulling.

What you may try doing might need a helper or could just use a clamp is to disconnect the cable from the throttle body and then go under the truck and have someone hold the throttle lever in it's resting position or can use a clamp to do it, then go back to the throttle body and adjust the cable from their by pulling on the cable firmly and align the cable so the mounting post on the throttle body lever and the cable hook are aligned with each other.

I do a completely different method which is difficult to explain but I visually adjust the cable so when the accelerator is at WOT I can't pull the throttle lever on the transmission open however when the throttle is at idle the lever is closed all the way. This method requires a bit of patience and a eagle eye but the results are golden.

#10 ·
That is true a faulty gov solenoid can cause erratic 1-2 up shifts and 2-1 downshifts. However usually if the gov sensor is faulty you will have erratic shifts in all gears, sometimes it's the 1-2 shift solenoid that will cause issues, I am so use to the RH series because they have only 2 solenoids at most one for OD and one for TC and having very little electronics is not only cheaper to repair but easier to diagnose because those sensors are often faulty out of the box.

Anyway's just try giving that cable an adjustment, that cable acuates a lever on the transmission which moves a throttle valve in the valve body controlling line pressure, sometimes when it's out of adjustment you can have some funky 1-2 ups and 2-1 downs and of course 3-2 downs and 2-3 ups. Generally if the cable is adjusted tight then you will have higher rpm upshifts that are firmer which will be easier on the clutches. If you loosen the adjustment you will have early upshifts that are very soft and will result in clutch wear. If you do any kind of towing, racing, or just want acceleration try adjust the cable tighter, if you want to use it for regular driving then adjust it so the cable isn't to tight but is still tought. Please know that if you adjust it for higher rpm upshifts it is going to be somewhat difficult to maintain the vehicles speed when it is below 55.

If you have the cable adjusted for redline shifts if you are going about 35 MPH and you put the pedal to the metal then the transmission will actually downshift into 1st gear rev to redline then upshift to 2nd and the truck will take off like a rocket from there.

#12 ·
Sounds like the transmission throttle valve needs attention. A repair/improver kit is under $40.
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instructions/22771-03K-IN.pdf
I wouldn't put the cart before the horse yet. He might not have the cable adjusted properly yet, not many people get it adjusted right there first time. Actually many times you're going to adjust it over and over again until the transmission shifts the way you want it. The biggest issue with transmissions is they tend to have small internal leaks as they age because the seals harden and it makes it very difficult to tune the transmission to the way you want it. But I don't think he is having issues with the throttle valve, it's just the cable the issue is the sensitivity of the valve.

#13 ·
Well I really need to spend some more time adjusting cable and finding the problem. I towed my 20ft enclosed trailer yesterday and it was much worse hunting for the 1-2 and 2-1 shift. It was cold this morning (27degs) and it shifted fine with the fuild cold and I'm guessing thicker.

#14 · (Edited)
Well I really need to spend some more time adjusting cable and finding the problem. I towed my 20ft enclosed trailer yesterday and it was much worse hunting for the 1-2 and 2-1 shift. It was cold this morning (27degs) and it shifted fine with the fuild cold and I'm guessing thicker.
Sometime when I was towing and a couple times today when it made to shift to second it was like it shifted to neutral. RPMs just flew up. CRAZY:doh:

#19 ·
Well... I found a problem. I thought I would change the trans fuild and when I dropped the pan I found parts in the pan. There is a wedge shaped part that has a ball socket on one end. The ball socket is broke which let the part drop out. Any ideas. I'm guessing its for a band.

#20 ·
Yes that part is for the front band, the strut probably fell out and is laying on top of the valve body so you're going to have to remove the valve body. Either way the valve body has to be removed to have full access to the band. But now that part fell out you won't have a 2nd gear.

Now my idea, replace the little part. You can find one on ebay or you can go to the chrysler dealer but I advise ebay because it will cost you less body parts. The wedge shaped part is known to break because it's casted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.