DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Max tire size?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Upstater 
#1 ·
Okay I have a 97 1500 4x4 I just ordered a 5" suspension lift and 3" body lift. I have a 15x10 wheel with a 3 3/8 backspacing. Just curious as to what u guys think the largest tire I can run is. Rubbing on the fron fender will not be an issue I have a replacement front bumper and tons of clearance there.

#4 ·
The problem with those guides is they are always way too conservative I mean most say it takes 5" to clear 35s well I'm sitting on 35s bone stock with only wheel replacement and bumper replacement for extra clearance. They don't rub at all not even at full turn. I am leaning towards a 39.5 x 13.5 because I've seen a few people on here with that combo was just hoping a few of them would confirm or give input.

#5 ·
You need to consider more than just clearance... large skins (above 35's) put a lot of extra stress on stock driveline components, including the tranny and transfer case. Expect to see increased wear and perhaps breakage on things like bearings, axles, and joints, especially if you do any serious off-roading.

#6 ·
I'm not worried about axles my truck is sitting on a dana 70 rear and a dana 60 front both built with chromoly axles lockers and gears. When the tranny and transfer case go I will upgrade. I spent all my mony in the beggining on axles because I knew I wanted to go big. Got lucky and found a 98 2500llocally that had been wrecked and got both axles cheap and had them built. This isn't my first rodeo in the 4x4 world just have never had a ram so I'm not sure on clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.