DODGE RAM FORUM banner

FAQs about leveling Rams

36K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  drecastro 
#1 · (Edited)
So BlueJet was extremely kind and made a section just about leveling our trucks! How perfect! I figured I would put together a list of frequently asked questions I see here on the board. This is by no means a comprehensive list, just some common questions. The answers might also be general and just point you in the right direction. I'm only going to cover 3rd and 4th gens.

Q: Are 4x4 leveling kits and 4x2 leveling kits the same?
A: No. For the covered generations, the kits are different between a 4x4 and 4x2 front suspensions. For example: 4x2 trucks CANNOT use adjustable shocks. Usually a spacer kit is utilized. Example kit: ReadyLift System

Q: leveling my 3rd generation ram (2002-2008)..what do I get?
A: 2002-2005:You guys have torsion bar suspensions in the front, which means technically you can crank those up and level your truck. From talking to experienced members, this is a viable means...just stay within reason. 2/2.5" is the max you should go when doing this. Yes you can buy after market torsion key kits but they essentially do the same thing. So you guys get a FREE level!

2006-2008: You have struts with a coil-over set-up. So you have two options: 1) coil spacers, ex) hell bent steel ~$80/pair
2) adjustable shocks ex) bilstein 5100, rancho ~$180/pair
Option 2 is an EXCELLENT choice and MANY MANY people run these on 3rd and 4th gen rams and love them. They have multiple height settings. (3 for the 3rd gens for bilstein 5100).

Q: leveling my 4th generation ram (2009-current)...what do I get?
A: 4th gen rams have the same options as the later 3rd gen rams. Spacers and adjustable shocks. However, the 4th gens have 5 height settings (bilstein 5100). Also, it is possible to install REAR coil spacers on 4th gens. Some people like to keep the rake for towing/heavy loads, but want to level in order to fit larger tires as well.

Q: Why would I level my truck? Pro's/Con's.
A: 1) Pro: A lot of folks dislike the "rake" (term given for how the truck sits lower in the front than the rear). This does serve a purpose...when filling the bed with heavy loads or towing..the rear will not SQUAT lower than the front due to the forward rake.
2) Pro: Most people level in order to fit larger tires. The consensus is, for both 4th gen and 3rd gens, you can fit 35x12.5 tires. (For a discussion on tire/wheel fitment, go here: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139106 )
3) Con:With a level truck and a heavy load/towing, you rear can sit lower than the front (you can get air bags to help with this).
4) 4x4 shudder. In rare cases, esp with bilsteins at max setting, some will experience a shudder on acceleration in 4x4. It usually occurs on flat surfaces. Most cases it is very minor and the driver doesn't even notice when off-road..not of concern. In extreme cases, it can be violent and needs to be resolved.

Q: Can I install a level kit by myself?
A: YES! If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, and have a decent set of tools. These kits (spacers/adjustable shocks) are just a few hours work if everything goes right. For coil-over set ups, you will need a spring compressor. SAFETY FIRST

That is all for now. If you have more questions, ask them and I'll add them if I feel they are frequently asked.

See less See more
Reactions: brandonjansen
#3 ·
ya man! Thanks. I said that in the post. not advisable to exceed 2/2.5". and that's probably pushing it. I've never done it, nor seen it. That is just knowledge gained from talking to other members

#5 ·
what size tires will the rough country level/lift kit allow? the website says that the kit provides a from 2.5 spacer and a rear 1.75 spacer.

thanks

#6 ·
As the original post says you will be able to fit a 35x12.5 tire with a 2.5" leveling kit. If you are using the stock wheels you will need a 1/4" spacer. If you go with aftermarket wheels 9" wide you will need at least a 0 offset but you can go -12 if you want them to stick out further. Keep in mind the further you push them out the greater chance you have of rubbing on the inner fender.

I'm running a 2.5" level with a 0.75" rear coil spacer and 20x9 -12 offset wheels with 35x12.5's. There's a link to my wheel/tire install thread in my signature below with lots of pictures if you want to take a look at what that set up looks like.

#10 ·
That's definitely true. Shipping sucks..... I'm fortunate enough to live right on the border so I get all my parts shipped to a handling company in Washington and just go down to pick them up. Saves a TON of money.

HBS is a vendor on the forum. You could talk to them and find out what kind of deals they could give you. As far as I know TGC is not.... As far as the RCX kit goes I'm not sure if Bully's Performance stocks their leveling kits or not. Either Andrew or Jeremiah are great guys to talk to about that though. They will help you out with any aftermarket parts you want to get for your truck.

Andrew: fastNugly@bullysperformance.com
Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@bullysperformance.com

#12 ·
never heard of any leveling kit voiding someones warranty. In order for it to void a warranty, the dealership has to prove whatever you did directly caused the issue. If you are still worried about it, have the dealership install a level kit, that way it will still be covered. It'll cost you an arm and a leg though probably.

#13 · (Edited)
Great info! Rep incoming.

I did notice one thing. You said the third gen Bilsteins have three settings but technically they have four counting the stock/zero lift setting. The only reason I mention it is that you said the Bilsteins for the fourth gen have five settings which is obviously correct as long as you count the zero setting.

**EDIT**
Apparently I need to "spread some rep around" before I can hit you again, lol. I won't forget you though. This is a good thread.

#15 ·
yes you are right :smileup:

#28 ·
whatever floats your boat man!!!!

#35 ·
cool, thanks!

as i said before, i really appreciate the help! everyone here seems so helpful, and its awesome!!!

im heading to my buddies shop (overdrive Auto) tomorrow for a shop BBQ and sale, etc. hopefully gonna order my levelling kit and look into some tires/wheels, im losing sleep over it cause I'm so excited!

#36 ·
I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 3.7l v6 rwd I have a 3"rc suspension kit and a 2.5 coil spring leveling kit. Will these go together with little alignment issue and the brake line be long enough also. And if I have issue could I adjust my tires rod ends to compromise that . Anybody know this would be helpful. And also will the RC 3" front shocks gonna be long enough with the 2.5 level coil spacer on top? Tried installing it today in 3hrs got drivers side amost done and the shock top nut was seized on I'm gonna have to cut it off clean.

#39 ·
It was made along with this sticky not too long along. It hasn't been around long

#40 ·
Greetings all!

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 Hemi Crew Cab 4X4. I installed a 2" Hell Bent Steel front leveling kit a few months back. I plow with this rig, I wanted it to level out a bit. Immediately I heard a noise coming from the front end. It sounds like someone tapping on a drum. It usually happens when there is deflection in the road or turning, potentially in the steering somewhere. Any ideas on what is causing this noise?

#41 ·
hmmm. not sure bud. I would crawl under there and make sure everything is snug and installed properly. Installation seems idiot proof, but I've seen some pretty botched jobs on here that cause issues.

also it wouldn't hurt to create a new thread about this particular problem. you might get more answers. good luck!

#42 ·
bringing this bttt

something that might also be of help to some is where a person might go to find front and rear torque specs?? ball joints, tie-rod ends etc etc

i know it'd help me out :D
i'd like to have it handy for the shop installing my stuff

also, does blue loctite make sense or is everyone happy with nylon nuts?

AND...first couple of posts i'm reading about stressing the torsion bar....so is a 2.8 bilstein lift strongly NOT recommended??

#43 ·
I will research torque specs when I have time.

I confused by your last question....and truck with torsion bars will not be able to utilize bilstein adjustable shocks...so it doesn't matter

#44 ·
cool, i probably misread the implication If it doesn't apply to the Gen4's that's cool :)

appreciate the info :)

#45 ·
bilsteins work on 06-current rams.

2.8" setting has an increased chance of getting a 4wd wobble

#49 ·
no 4wd leveling kits are not compatible with 2wd.

i read something a few months ago about hell bent steel asking for interest in 2wd leveling kits. I would contact them and see if that ever went anywhere.

only spacers I'm aware of are urethane spacers which I don't particularly care for but I think that's your only option

#50 ·
2009 dodge ram 1500

I bought my truck about 3 months ago. Im pretty sure its leveled but I dont know to what extent. Is there a way I can measure from the center of my hub to my fender and see how much its leveled? Im trying to find out what kind of tire I can fit in there who out rubbing? And if I need spacers. But first I have to know ifb have a front 2" no rear or rear and front or what? Thanks for any help.

#51 ·
Just take a look at the suspension. It will be somewhat hard to see but it is possible. If there's a spacer on top of your strut it's leveled. But it will be tucked up in the strut tower so it is hard to tell.... Or if it has Bilsteins it is probably leveled.

You can take measurements from the ground to the top of your wheel well though. If it's stock there will be about 2.5"-3.25" difference front to back. If there's less it probably has a leveling kit.

#53 ·
Ya if you're leveled you should be able to run that height no problem. You're keeping stock rims I'm assuming? Typically the widest you can go on stock rims is 285. There are guys that get away with wider but it's not a guarantee. So I'd have a set of 1/4" wheel spacers ready just in case you do need them. You can always return them if you don't.

#54 · (Edited)
After market wheel back spacing and leveling kit

Ok I am pretty new to this I have a 2003 ram 4x4 1500 and I ordered a leveling kit and a set of wheels ion 187 17x9" and the back spacing is +18mm or 5.71" my question is I have a set of used 315x70x17 tires I want to put on it after leveling and was wondering if that back spacing will work or if I will need to get wheel spacers? If so should I try to get hub centric and what size, everything else is factory including shocks because kit came w shock extender mounts the wheel Hub bore is 78.8mm I believe and the rims center bore is 108mm any opinions would be greatly appreciated and if I am reinvinting the wheel sorry

#55 ·
you'll need spacers with that wide a tire and +18 offset. what leveling kit did U order? 2003 have torsion bars. different from the 06-08 3rd gens

#56 ·
Guys have any recommendations for a 2013 QC 2wd leveling kit? I put on some 275 65r20 Goodyear AT's and the wheel well looks too stuffed, no rubbing though. I was hoping to use a heavy duty coil over to get the extra height in the front but am having terrible luck finding anything. If I get spacers, any recommendations? Also should I replace the shocks too? Recommendations on those?

Thanks for your help, not the heat when it comes to wheels and suspension.

#57 ·
2015 4x4 Crew Level question.

Just picked up my new truck and I'm thinking about putting the 2.5 Rough Country level kit on it. I'm NOT looking to upgrade my tires at this time.
I can't seem to find any decent pics of 2.5 kit with stock tires.
Just from an appearance stand point is this a bad idea or can she pull of the 2.5 kit without getting new shoes?

Thanks.

#58 ·
Just picked up my new truck and I'm thinking about putting the 2.5 Rough Country level kit on it. I'm NOT looking to upgrade my tires at this time.
I can't seem to find any decent pics of 2.5 kit with stock tires.
Just from an appearance stand point is this a bad idea or can she pull of the 2.5 kit without getting new shoes?

Thanks.
You'll be far better off going with Bilstein adjustable front struts rather than a spacer leveling kit. Checkout the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature for a number of reasons why. This is even more relevant on the 13+ trucks that are prone to ball joint popping issues.

Not a problem to run stock wheels with a leveling kit. I did that on my old 1500 when I first got it. And that was with only 17's and 31.7" tires.

#59 ·
I hope I'm asking this in the right area. I recently put on Bilstein 5100. I set the clip at the lowest setting and left the leveling spacers on. I noticed the driver side slightly lower between the tire and the fender. I'm not sure why this is as it was not that way with the old stock shocks. Can anyone advise what is best to do? My mechanics have no experience over here with such things. Also I was considering putting a stiffer spring in the back which would also raise it and then of course I would to reset the front shock clips to match it. Is this an appropriate way to raise my pickup as well as make the rear stiffer?

#60 ·
First off, why would you put the Bilsteins on at stock height with leveling spacers? That simply doesn't make any sense at all. You have the option for a far better means of leveling and you're still using the cheap method that's more prone to problems. First thing I'd be doing before touching a thing is getting rid of the spacers and setting the Bilsteins up where they should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.