DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Which Mobil ONe Oil for the Pentastar V6?

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
I am about to do my first oil change at 3000 miles and am going to go with Mobil One. I beleive we are limited to aa Mopar filter. Which Mobil One/viscosity oil do you recommend for the Pentastar? Anyone use the "Advanced Fuel Econony" brand?

Thanks,

Randy

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Just a heads up, at last check mobile-1 still has not met the chrysler ms-6395 spec for motor oil in the pentastar engine. So if you are still under warranty you might reconsider using mobile-1 until they have completed their testing and are approved to meet the Chrysler ms-6395 spec. I am a mobile 1 oil guy also and as soon as they are approved I will switch from the penzoil I am currently using that is approved to mobile 1, not that penzoil is not a very good oil, I just have had excellent service from mobile 1. I'm sure mobile 1 will be approved, its just the testing Chrysler requires take a year to perform if I recall correctly. If your not sure what brand motor oils meet the spec, just look on the bottle and it will state all the specs it meets, and will include ( Chrysler ms-6395) in the list.............Dan

PS: the oil filter for the 2014 pentastar 3.6 is different than previous years, and they will not work in the 2014 pentastar 3.6 engine.

#9 ·
That paper from Amsoil is a lot of marketing fluff. The ball wear test does not directly apply to engine wear. The rest shows that all GF5 - SN oils meet the spec.
Their recommendation on mileage/savings for less oil changes does not apply either. Your truck will calculate oil change interval, and that is what you need to follow to preserve warranty. Any oil that meets or exceeds the Chrysler oil spec will provide sufficient service for your truck. Other things will fail before an oil related failure occurs.

That said, Amsoil is a fine product. Is it worth a premium over other choices, probably not. Long drain intervals are not an option for warranty purposes.

#12 ·
I'm going to dump full syn resolute fleet farm oil in her next change which will be this weekend. 1st oil change was suppose to be at 10000 miles according to the evic, changed at 6000 with pennzoil platinum because it was on sale, this time fleet farm resolute because its on sale because the evic is telling me to change it at 4000 miles probably due to long warm up time in winter. Resolute oil is GF - 5 and American Petrolium Institute certified. Good enough for me. My old 4.7 ran on a mixed bag too and ran like the day I got it at 120,000 miles. Pennzoil, supertech, and cheap high mileage crap at the end.

#15 ·
I would personally not use anything by Amsoil in my vehicles...
Did you mean "by" or maybe "but"? It changes the meaning some. :Hey:

If I am towing I assume that is severe service. I guess the EVIC doesn't know about that so we just change when EVIC says the oil is half done, or something like that?

I read that Amsoil pdf but I thought the last item, cost, was silly.

I have run Amsoil in my car in the past...

#19 ·
op, oils have been so improved over the last decade that any oil off the shelf will serve you well. i use penzoil platinum. always usd M1 in all my vehicles since the eighties, but my hemi runs louder with M1 and is not approved for our engines, though i am sure it is fine. amsoil is too expensive compared to Wall mart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.