DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cutting??

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mygt8a4re 
#1 ·
I have the Belltech Street Performance suspension on my 2014 R/T. It's the 2-4, but I want to go lower. Can I cut a coil or so? and everything will be fine? Should I not cut them? Pros and cons?? Help me out please! Tha

#2 ·
Not many cut the Belltechs since they sit lower than the McGaughys kits do. They also have softer springs. The Belltech kit puts you close to having very limited travel as is especially in the front end. Add the relatively soft springs and a less travel and your ride would really be compromised.

You're probably better off using a spindle for the added drop you seek in the front. Then you can still cut your rear springs and use a Airlift 1000 to help prevent bottoming out.

Just my opinion.

#3 ·
Are you looking to just get the rear a bit more even with the front or get both the front and rear lower together? A few here have cut 1/2 coil off the rear to get an even stance using the BT kit, and lately has become somewhat of a norm along with adding the Airlift helper bags for the Durango.

#5 ·
The call is ultimately yours....

But, to note, there several people on the boards who have cut thier lowering springs to get a bit lower stance. To keep things equal and not get rediculous, I would suggest 1/2 coil cut amount than what you cut in the rear (ie 1/2 coil front cut, 1 full coil rear cut). This keeps the front and rear height ratio the same as it currently sits. Any amount of lowering will squeeze the suspension pieces closer together and reduces your travel limit from your current position.

As Mikennrg was suggesting, the BT kit has a softer spring rate so the truck drops more over bumps, ruts, dips, inclines/declines/etc as opposed to some other manufacturers of lowering springs. The more you cut off the spring the more you limit your suspensions travel distance and get closer to bottoming out.

If your looking for roughly an additional inch you can probably achieve that with the cutting example I suggested above but keep in mind to take bump stop height and all suspension pieces into account. Your rear control arms get closer, your rear end will shift slightly due to the panhard bar geometry and you will greatly increase the chance of binding or bottoming out on certain terrain. Remember, once you cut theres no going back unless you purchase new springs again!

Again, in the end its your choice. Do some research here as there are alot of guys that went further into lowering by cutting springs!

(in most cases you are going to get subjective responses that protect people from telling you to do somthing and have you come back and bash them for telling them to do a certain mod! One guys loves it... another guy hates it... So we can only "suggest" and leave you with the choice!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.