DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Newbie level kit install. Thoughts?

749 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  boomer135 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just got my 3" front, 2" rear level kit in (manufactured by All Roads) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Full-3-F...ies&hash=item41738b56e7&vxp=mtr#ht_2008wt_986) and wanted some advise. I was thinking of trying to do this myself as I am somewhat mechanically inclined (2008 1500 extended crew cab 4x2), but i'm having trouble finding a thread with a walkthrough of how to do this. From what I've seen it looks fairly easy, but I don't want to get in the middle of the job and get stuck. Can someone direct me to a walkthrough link or give any advice? I've read some threads where a coil spring compression tool should be used and some where it states it isn't needed (obviously I do not have one). I've also read where an alignment should be done afterwords. Should I just have this one at the shop since it needs an alignment afterwords anyway? Any idea of an average charge a shop should charge to install? So torn! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#3 ·
You could easily do it yourself with a day to spare and some beers and a friend. take your time and dont be afraid to call the supplier with questions.

youtube is your friend.

a shop would probably charge 4-5 hours this particular install. you are looking at an avg of $80-100+ an hour for labor

#5 ·
yes i had to use a spring compressor i rented for free from the local auto parts store to compress the spring and get the the strut out.

and yes absolutely get the truck aligned

#6 ·
youtube, when i was looking for 4th gen installs all i could find was 3rd gen, you're in luck!

#8 ·
Depending on the type of kit you have you may not have to compress the coils. Post pics of your kit as the link does't describe the kit very well… 100% you will need an alignment. You will notice with your eyes a negative camber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.