DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Battery Drain Problem

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tylerz71 
#1 ·
Hello, While seaching the web I came accros this site and figured, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram Xtra Cab with a Hemi.
Original owner and I have had no real problems to speak of, just general stuff.
I have replaced both left and right wheel hubs with the help of my son. Oil change, new tires, Just the regular stuff like I said before.

For the past six months or so I have been having an electrical problem. My battery has been dead in the morning when I try to start it.
I have traced the problem to my radio cluster, dome lighs when I open the door,the auto door locks when I get up to 15 miles per hour.
So what I have done is put a kill switch to by-pass the fuse which I located in the fuse box. Switching it on when I park yhe truck for the evening HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME JUST FINE.
It is getting to be a drag to keep hitting the switch when I get in to drive somewhere and remembering to shut it off when I leave it over night.

I was told by someone that it is posibly my whole FUSE BOX, ( Integrated Power Moduule) that is giving me the problem with draining.
I have been looking around and I have been getting sugestions that I will have to get it from a dealer.
I don't want to go that route because they charge a whole lot for parts.
Is there anyone on this forum that can lead me in the right direction to find a (Integrated Power Moduule)??????

Thanks for reading, Ray

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you checked the wiring on the circuit that you bypassed? Try to download a service manna from here and dig a little deeper. You may have a simple problem once you get to tracking it down

#4 ·
I got a wiring diagram in my sig.

I agree, get a wiring diagram. it sounds like since you have a switch to kill those accessories when parked, you could have a short to ground/power somewhere and need to trace it to the source. sounds like you know the general area the problem is...just need to trace it to the source.

i am pretty familar with electrical (ASE Certified) and will be more than happy to help you if you need any, just post back or PM me

#5 ·
How do you know if TIPM is bad?

I have been battling electrical issues with my 2006 Dodge Diesel. I replaced both interstate batteries and first drive it boiled passenger side battery. I replaced both interstate batteries again and also the crossover cable. ran fine on a short trip. then when truck sat for a week it would not crank. charged batteries and started it and ran truck for about 40 minutes. killed it and next day both batteries drained again. I am wondering if my Total Integrated Power Module might have an open circuit that is draining my batteries but don't know how to test this. What should I do next????

2006 Dodge 2500 Ram 5.9l diesel. 205,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.