DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 1500 DIY diff transfer case fluid change

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  11Blkpearlsport5.7 
#1 ·
Just thought I would share some notes.

I have the corp 235 anti spin rear axle, 215 front axle, and borg warner 44 transfer case. Just reached 40k miles and thought it was time to change all the fluids.

1) Front axle - remove drain and fill plug using 3/8 socket wrench. Drain fluid. Using a hand pump, fill back up with syn 75w-90 to bottom of fill hole, a little over 1 quart. Reinstall drain and fill plug.

2) borg warner 44 transfer case - remove drain and fill plug using 3/8 socket wrench. Drain fluid. Using a hand pump, fill back up with Mopar Borg Warner 44 transfer case fluid to the bottom of fill hole, about 1.5 quarts. As of right now, there is no other compatible fluid on the market for this BW 44 transfer case. Must get it from the dealership at $27 bucks a quart. So try your best to minimize any spillage or waste of this liquid gold. After fill up, reinstall plugs to about 20-25 ft lbs.

3) Rear axle - No need to remove diff cover for this procedure as there is a drain plug. Remove drain plug using 14mm hex. Remove rubber fill plug. Drain fluid. Refill with syn 75w-140. If you have anti spin, also fill with 4 oz of limited slip additive. Fill to bottom of fill plug, about 2.2 quarts. Reinstall rubber fill plug, reinstall drain plug.

See less See more
#2 ·
was it recommended that you change these fluids in the manual? Or the dealer?
Seems odd that the fluid in the diff needed changed but hey - all my old school 4x4's never ever got their oil changed in the diff?
One never knows about these new ones, I get my 2013 1500 4x4 serviced tomorrow so I'll ask - after all the dealership is always happy to spend my money for me ;)

#4 ·
OK - just found out from my tech that the Diff's on the new 4x4's aren't built as good as the older ones were - and if you have posy-track or anti spin you MUST keep up with the extra lubrication required to keep them from wearing or you risk destroying the bearings and your warranty will be void. Non posy-track isn't so important but has warranty implications if you don't change it. However the transfer case/transmission oil shouldn't need changed other than an auto transmission - I have the 6 cyl with the 8 speed transmission so changing oil isn't required in the transfer case or transmission.
Quite frankly it all depends on that drive train you have and I was rather surprised at the lesson I was handed today.
Thanks for raising my curiosity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.