DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Were you aware that your rims were chromed plastic covers?

• Yes

Votes: 442 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 353 44.4%

"Fake Chrome" Wheels

60K views 197 replies 156 participants last post by  Ragnar 
#1 ·
It is always interesting to browse the individual years for this truck. You will always see posts regarding the shock and usually displeasure when people discover that their chrome rims are actually chromed plastic. I have started this poll to see who was aware of this when they purchased the vehicle. :poopstorm:

#188 ·
I like my chrome clads. I think they look great. But I feel like I got hoodwinked. The term aluminum chrome clad wheels is misleading. According to my window sticker I paid a $575 premium for the aluminum chrome clad 20x9 over the 20x8 aluminums included in the express package. I suppose in retrospect one could save the $575, put it towards some decent aftermarkets, then sell your oems. I'm happy with them, plan on keeping them, but it don't seem right.

#189 ·
My friend got even more screwed when he bought his 2012 express. He paid $1000 extra for them. Thinking they were real chrome rims.

I actually like the rims too, they look good on the truck, but it makes me sick there plastic.

#190 ·
I went ahead and took mine off. They were in perfect shape, but I like my wheels painted black now way better. They were so hard to get off though. I wanted to save them, but by the 3rd wheel, I just tossed them. LOL. And the wheels underneath the cheap wheel covers looks exactly the same!

#191 ·
I didn't realize they where plastic at first. Overall not bad and easy to clean. HOWEVER, i recently hit a pot hole, scuffed the rim a little, but torn a few inches of the plastic.
Is it possible to replace just the plastic cover?
Seem like a waste to spend hundreds because of a small tear in the plastic.
Ive seen covers, but cant tell if they're quality replacements or just cheap looking overlays

#195 ·
I have these rims on my new truck.... I think they look pretty nice but once it comes time for new tires, they're gonna be mounted on new rims!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.